Saints withdraw 2012 Superbowl bid (1 Viewer)

Canonized

All-Pro
Reaction score
Sorry if already posted.... New Orleans Saints claim that they have withdrawn their bid for the 2012 Superbowl because the city was "too focused on landing the Final Four" and that most hotel rooms for that weekend are "already booked". In addition, they claim that their intention was to extend their lease with the state by 2 years just to facilitate this Super Bowl bid.

Sounds like Benson is starting some shenanigans.

Eric Asher on 690am just made a good point.... this revelation has coincidentally coincided with the state's claim that they are some $7 million short on this year's inducement payments to both the Hornets and the Saints. Hmmm

Sorry if already posted.... New Orleans Saints claim that they have withdrawn their bid for the 2012 Superbowl because the city was "too focused on landing the Final Four" and that most hotel rooms for that weekend are "already booked". In addition, they claim that their intention was to extend their lease with the state by 2 years just to facilitate this Super Bowl bid.

Sounds like Benson is starting some shenanigans.

isnt the Final Four in MARCH !!!!?!?!!?!?!

Wouldn't getting as many super bowls as possible only strengthen Benson's negotiating position with the state? I mean come on! The more money Benson brings to Louisiana, the more money he can get FROM Louisiana. And the more likely a new stadium at some point in the future becomes...

New Orleans Saints claim that they have withdrawn their bid for the 2012 Superbowl because the city was "too focused on landing the Final Four" and that most hotel rooms for that weekend are "already booked".

It sounds to me that the city isn't putting the efforts into the Super Bowl bid that they are for the Final Four. Not that they will interfere with each other. Also, the booked hotels are not related, and could be for Mardi Gras. The Super Bowl has been creeping into Feburary more and more it seems these past few years...

It sounds to me that the city isn't putting the efforts into the Super Bowl bid that they are for the Final Four. Not that they will interfere with each other. Also, the booked hotels are not related, and could be for Mardi Gras. The Super Bowl has been creeping into Feburary more and more it seems these past few years...

Try again. Mardi Gras in 2012 is February 21. The Superbowl has NEVER been that late.

Wouldn't getting as many super bowls as possible only strengthen Benson's negotiating position with the state? I mean come on! The more money Benson brings to Louisiana, the more money he can get FROM Louisiana. And the more likely a new stadium at some point in the future becomes...

Not according to him. Instead he is the kid that brings the ball to the field, then when things arent going well, announces he is going home and taking his ball with him. He feels he has enough leverage without the Superbowl incentive.

I find the timing of this to be very intriguing. News came out this morning that the state was short between $6-$7M on payments to the Saints and Hornets. Projections are that there will be a larger gap next year. On the very same day this comes out, Saints officials pull out of a Super Bowl bid for 2012.

The reasons listed above in the thread make absolutely zero sense. The city could easily host a Super Bowl and Final Four in the same year - they are nearly two months apart. And, Mardi Gras has never stopped Super Bowls in New Orleans before.

I think it's the first shot fired by Benson to ratchet up the heat for a new deal since the Tagliabue intervention of 2005. It's basically saying, "If we don't get a new deal past 2010, we're gone and the Super Bowl bid won't be valid because of that."

Benson and Jindal have a positive relationship from what I gather. I do not think that Jindal will let the Saints leave the state on his watch. But who knows?

Not according to him. Instead he is the kid that brings the ball to the field, then when things arent going well, announces he is going home and taking his ball with him.

He would be right. He does have the ball. Get a longterm deal done. Benson had a distaste for Blanco and I hope he can form a much better relationship with Jindal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom