Saints worked out two LBs today (Underhill) (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Theories? Ellerbe and/or JL injuries not minor?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Saints tried out linebackers Miles Burris and Kyrie Wilson, per source</p>&mdash; Nick Underhill (@nick_underhill) <a href="https://twitter.com/nick_underhill/status/793919657082286080">November 2, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Probably just updating their emergency call sheet?? Ellerbe has been out as JL has been. Maybe Mauti or Stupar? I dunno..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably just updating their emergency call sheet?? Ellerbe has been out as JL has been. Maybe Mauti or Stupar? I dunno..

I was just referring to the injury report. Based on that, Mauti and Stupar were full practice today.

They're both WLB's.

Think it's just a sign that we've officially given up on Ellerbe, and are looking for a backup will.

Wasn't Miles Burris a draft pick of Allen's when he was the Raiders' head coach?

*Edit*

Yep. Same draft class as Nate Stupar.

3. Tony Bergstrom, T, Utah
4. Miles Burris, LB, San Diego State
5a. Jack Crawford, DE, Penn State
5b. Juron Criner, WR, Arizona
6. Christo Bilukidi, DT, Georgia State
7. Nathan Stupar, LB, Penn State

Wasn't Miles Burris a draft pick of Allen's when he was the Raiders' head coach?

Yep definitely a backup/st's candidate. If you are going to move forward with Stupar as your WLB then someone has got to play ST's. Especially if you are preparing him to play more snaps.

They're all about the ex-Raiders right now...

One thing that jumps out about Wilson are his measurables. Amongst linebackers that participated in the combine, Wilson would have ranked 5th in the 40-yard dash, 3rd in the bench press, 1st in the vertical jump, 6th in the broad jump and 3rd in the three-cone drill.

So why wasn't he drafted?

Most likely the answer lies in his playing within the Mountain West conference against a stereotypically lower level of competition. Also, though he was productive over three seasons for the Bulldogs, he never led the team in tackles, finishing second in 2013 and third in both 2014 and 2015.

Like many extremely athletic linebackers, his ticket onto the roster will be via special teams.

2016 Raiders UDFA Profile: Fresno State LB Kyrie Wilson hopes elite athleticism sets him apart - Silver And Black Pride

Yep definitely a backup/st's candidate. If you are going to move forward with Stupar as your WLB then someone has got to play ST's. Especially if you are preparing him to play more snaps.

I would think it would be special teams-centric for sure...

He was picked in the fourth round out of San Diego State that year and started 15 games as a rookie. A knee injury limited him to just six games as a reserve in 2013 and Burris struggled mightily when forced to take over as starting middle linebacker last season following a season-ending concussion in an exhibition game for starter Nick Roach.

Burris was second on the team with 1,060 defensive snaps and was second with 108 tackles. But he was the lowest-rated inside linebacker by Pro Football Focus last season and became expendable after Oakland added Curtis Lofton in free agency and then drafted two more linebackers.

I think we'll draft a WLB in 2017.

What does the board think of Jarrad Davis in that role?

Surprisingly, he's been available (in the 2nd) for some of the mock drafts I ran. I know it's a shocker, but it could happen according to these mocks.

I think we'll draft a WLB in 2017.

What does the board think of Jarrad Davis in that role?

Surprisingly, he's been available (in the 2nd) for some of the mock drafts I ran. I know it's a shocker, but it could happen according to these mocks.

First thing comes to mind is the sideline to sideline ability & how he anticipates the snap. I think his tackling was spotty at times & needs work. Didn't he break his leg last month??

First thing comes to mind is the sideline to sideline ability & how he anticipates the snap. I think his tackling was spotty at times & needs work. Didn't he break his leg last month??

No, just a sprained ankle. Game time decision, last I heard.

So, what's your take. Approve? Or were you saying his tackling isn't good enough.

WLB is a pretty damn important position. Ellerbe's done.

*edit*
Davis and his ailing left ankle were sure to be aching soon enough. But in the wake of a 24-10 win against Georgia, a bit of pain was a small price for another day doing what Davis loves.

Davis was not going to let injury interrupt the final month of the final regular season of his college football career. Instead, Davis rehabilitated his badly sprained left ankle tirelessly the previous two weeks and held out hope until the 11th hour he would be ready Saturday to face the rival Bulldogs.

Davis remained unsure of his status until warm-ups, when walked up to coach Jim McElwain and told him he planned to play.

&#8220;I looked him in his eyes and he knew,&#8221; Davis said. &#8220;He felt I was ready.&#8221;

Davis then went out and recorded a team-high seven tackles, including 2.5 for a loss, to spearhead yet another sterling effort from the SEC&#8217;s top-ranked unit.

No, just a sprained ankle. Game time decision, last I heard.

So, what's your take. Approve? Or were you saying his tackling isn't good enough.

WLB is a pretty damn important position. Ellerbe's done.

*edit*

Sprained ... ok, good. I think the kid has tremendous upside, just need some coaching up. Potential is there & I like him a lot.

Approve.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom