Saints would want a first-round pick for Brandin Cooks (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
snews.gif

By Marc Sessler -- NFL.com

Want to trade for Brandin Cooks? It's going to cost you.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Thursday that the Saints receiver is drawing trade heat during this week's NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. ESPN went on to name both the Titans and Eagles as interested suitors.

On Friday, though, Rapoport made it clear that Cooks won't come cheap. The Saints are telling teams they want a first-round pick in exchange for the 5-foot-10, 189-pound pass-catcher, sources informed of the situation told Rapoport.

Complicating matters further, Cooks wants a "hefty contract extension" that would place him among the highest-paid at his position, per Rapoport.

It doesn't mean that New Orleans won't come down from its perch, but this new information is a game-changer.

Full Article -- NFL.com

That doesn't seem crazy to me. A young very talented wideout that just a few years ago was a first round pick? Why not?

It has to be a first rounder not higher then #20 plus a third pick for the saints to recuperate their original investment.

A lesser trade then that will be incredibly stupid, considering we will get a complementary third rounder in 2019 if he leaves a an unrestricted free agent.

I would not even open discussions if the trade proposal is for less then this.

Yep. It can be a very wise move for the Saints to sell high on Cooks, but the organization is under absolutely no obligation to rush into anything. Set a price (I'd agree that a 1st and a 3rd is a starting point, given age, production, cost, and team control), and if someone meets it, fine. Otherwise, we're good with a young, electric WR corps.

IF the Saints wind up getting picks for Cooks, I really hope they trade down with one of the 1st rounders to accumulate even more picks (both in 2017 and 2018).

City champ posted a tweet from One Angry Midget the saints are asking for a 1st and 2nd this yr or a 1st this yr and 1st in 2018

It has to be a first rounder not higher then #20 plus a third pick for the saints to recuperate their original investment.

A lesser trade then that will be incredibly stupid, considering we will get a complementary third rounder in 2019 if he leaves a an unrestricted free agent.

Not if they plan to use the money to sign Cooks to sign someone else.

They say it takes 3 years for a WR to develop. We just went through Cooks growing pains.

Now let's trade him and his sweet contract? Does not compute.

His sweet contract ends next year. Then there will be Snead sweet contract and Thomas sweet contract ending soon.

His sweet contract ends next year. Then there will be Snead sweet contract and Thomas sweet contract ending soon.

It doesn't end for two years.

We'll have the 5th year option to exercise and I think it's only 5-6m.

Exactly.......and if it were higher than 20 then an additional pick would need to be added.

I don't see a team giving up a 1st round pick for a receiver that is fast and can only basket catch the ball

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom