Saints zeroing in on Asomugha and McKinnie... (1 Viewer)

I swear if Aso signs, he better perform at a high level or its gonna be a mad house on this forum lol.

I trust the Saints FO but i think Nnamdi is done

He can't be. The infallible Inebriated Bob said he agreed to a contract. That must mean that the signing is just a matter of time. Note that he hasn't went anywhere else.

I hope they do not release Greer. I would like to see him as the nickle covering the slot.

Its been said Lewis can play safety, so move him there and cut Jenkins to save $2.5M. You don't cut a good player like Greer when you can cut some fat instead.

IDK I think adding Aso would be huge for us and adds flexibility to our coverages. Just because he signs does not mean we are going to be relying solely on him to fix our defense. It is quite possible that he would be our #3 CB talent wise, but could match up in differently in different situations.

I mean take a look at matching up with the falcons WRs/TEs. I would probably have Aso playing Jones on the boundary with Jenkins over the top on his side playing cover 2 man, Greer on White with Harper on that half and Lewis on Tony.

If I am playing the Giants I am probably playing Lewis and Aso on the boundaries and Greer in the slot.

Against the 9ers I would probably play Lewis man up on Vernon in bump and run with Aso and Greer on the boundaries.

IDK I just think Aso would do well back with Ryan and where he does not have to be the teams best cover CB. Heck Lewis and Aso may see some time at safety depending on our defense. If we are playing a team with fast deep ball WRs I like have more speed in the back half of the field.

I would rather see a young player get a chance to show what he can do. tired of signing players who are only a name at this point

Aso has lost a step, but he is still good in close quarters. I see him as an excellent nickel corner, covering the slot. I bet that's what the thinking is here, with Greer and Lewis on the outside and P.Rob as the fourth corner in dime packages.

I would rather see a young player get a chance to show what he can do. tired of signing players who are only a name at this point

Works for veteran teams who are Super Bowl contenders. Ask New England. They seem to be successful with filling in with aging veterans.

Jabari Greer Contract, Salaries, and Transactions

1.5 if cut outright, 2.8 if designated a June 1st cut.

Personally I like Greer, but he has had injury concerns and he is smaller if we're moving to a more press oriented scheme. He was amazing in 2009 but he has declined somewhat physically (in my opinion). Personally I prefer Greer, but we could probably go with Nnamdi, Robinson, and Lewis. Robinson was actually not as bad as most think, he allowed a 56% completion percentage, which is good, but got eaten up on big plays often times. If you roll the safety to him, as we did towards Porter in 2009, he could be a more effective Tracy Porter. Nnamdi also was pretty good in press coverage and the top slot defender in 2011, so if you're willing to dismiss the 2012 year as just a bad situation, that trio does make sense.

My perception was that Greer wasn't good last year but no one was and the scheme sucked so I can't hang that all on him.

Likewise, I look at Nnamdi and how he started 2012 off well (after four games he was on pace to have one of the better seasons of his career) and was a decent player in 2011 even in the wrong scheme and tend to give credence to other factors affecting his 2012 season. An OL coach as the DC, a HC who was a lame duck most of the season, major offensive turmoil, major defensive turmoil, and an organization that was a circus after the first quarter of the season all while the scheme didn't fit him in the first place.

I could be naive, but I just think those things had a lot more to do with his struggles then him going from being the best CB in the league to unable to play at the age of 31.

Its been said Lewis can play safety, so move him there and cut Jenkins to save $2.5M. You don't cut a good player like Greer when you can cut some fat instead.

Even if we cut Jenkins why move Lewis there?

We've got his current backup who showed a lot of promise last year at FS. I'd say just promote him and draft some competition.

My perception was that Greer wasn't good last year but no one was and the scheme sucked so I can't hang that all on him.

Likewise, I look at Nnamdi and how he started 2012 off well and was a decent player in 2011 even in the wrong scheme and tend to give credence to other factors affecting his 2012 season. An OL coach as the DC, a HC who was a lame duck most of the season, major offensive turmoil, major defensive turmoil, and an organization that was a circus after the first quarter of the season all while the scheme didn't fit him in the first place.

I could be naive, but I just think those things had a lot more to do with his struggles then him going from being the best CB in the league to unable to play at the age of 31.

Exactly. Greer and Robinson struggled in a mainly zone scheme, their level of play plummeted and I think most people realized this. Scheme was to blame.

How is Asomugha not given the same level of curtosy that fans are so quick to give Greer and Robinson? Their o-line coach was their DC! Nothing more needs to be said.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom