Saints zeroing in on Asomugha and McKinnie... (1 Viewer)

no, nnamdi has an offer on the table, just waiting on him to decide.. how many times this has to be said?

Bryant McKinnie, Nnamdi Asomugha on Saints

Wonder when any developments will come from this, ML must be trying to clear out some more cap space.

There's not really any space to clear. Nnamdi may precipitate the release of a defensive back, which may create space. But unless they know he is signing that won't happen, and even if he did sign they may not (that's my speculation).

Ivory I think will be moved, clearing his tender out, but it won't happen now and may not happen until the 2nd or even 3rd day of the draft.

Beyond that, there is no more cap space to clear that I can see.

There's not really any space to clear. Nnamdi may precipitate the release of a defensive back, which may create space. But unless they know he is signing that won't happen, and even if he did sign they may not (that's my speculation).

Ivory I think will be moved, clearing his tender out, but it won't happen now and may not happen until the 2nd or even 3rd day of the draft.

Beyond that, there is no more cap space to clear that I can see.

There's still some to clear. It is just a matter of how much we want to push to future years though. Greer, Morestead, Moore and Sproles could move salary into bonuses. However, I am not sure Loomis wants to do that for a signing. He may need to do that for the rookie pool later.

We also need to focus on re-signing DLP to a longer contract.

There's still some to clear. It is just a matter of how much we want to push to future years though. Greer, Morestead, Moore and Sproles could move salary into bonuses. However, I am not sure Loomis wants to do that for a signing. He may need to do that for the rookie pool later.

We also need to focus on re-signing DLP to a longer contract.

Well in theory we could clear 17 million or so with Drew Brees, but I mean in practical terms.

I imagine the idea will be Ivory's tender will make up the majority of the rookie pool. Figuring a $3-4 million pool for us, over 50% can come from Ivory's tender. So we have, I don't know, about $4 million left? Keeping in mind that we also have more than 51 contracts, so any contract added drops a 500k contract below the countable line, meaning in effect we have a 500k discount per additional player.

That's enough to add Victor Butler if it's a long-term deal similiar to Keenans, but I dont think theyd do that. And Nnamdi, I have no idea what his market is, but given that it's likely to be a short term deal it'll be difficult to backload it. Same with McKinnie. We're in a tight spot, I can see us adding at least 1 more player, but more than that will take fancy footwork.

Nowhere in that article does it say we're "zeroing in" on anybody... it's just reporting what everybody already knows... that we had "general" talks with mcKinnie and that Nnamdi has an offer in-hand.

Misleading title.

Well in theory we could clear 17 million or so with Drew Brees, but I mean in practical terms.

I imagine the idea will be Ivory's tender will make up the majority of the rookie pool. Figuring a $3-4 million pool for us, over 50% can come from Ivory's tender. So we have, I don't know, about $4 million left? Keeping in mind that we also have more than 51 contracts, so any contract added drops a 500k contract below the countable line, meaning in effect we have a 500k discount per additional player.

That's enough to add Victor Butler if it's a long-term deal similiar to Keenans, but I dont think theyd do that. And Nnamdi, I have no idea what his market is, but given that it's likely to be a short term deal it'll be difficult to backload it. Same with McKinnie. We're in a tight spot, I can see us adding at least 1 more player, but more than that will take fancy footwork.

What's the savings if we cut Greer? I'd be surprised if such a move was made but he and Nnamdi are about the same age so maybe it's a possibility we only keep one.

Any backups with non-guranteed contracts we might jettison?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom