Sake and Orange Juice (1 Viewer)

Is sake with orange juice a screwdriver?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 19 95.0%
  • Other. I'll explain.

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

DadsDream

Dreaming of a SAINTS Super Bowl!
Reaction score
I was slogging through Daughter #3's blog this morning and ran across an interesting question:

"...is sake with orange juice considered a screwdriver or is that vodka only?

... because this is still good stuff!"

hell no! what a stupid question.
would coke with wine in it still be a rum and coke?

screwdriver = vodka + orange juice
sake = rice wine

Sake might be rice wine .. but I consider it to be a hard liquor ... its not vodka but it is similar ... vodka=potatoes ...... sake=rice ..... but its still not a screwdriver..

Other mixes:

We all know that OJ + Vodka is a screwdriver. But what about other liquors? Rum?
Rum with Orange Juice, also called a Cuban Screw or a Rum Screwdriver is a very popular cocktail, specially if made from malibu rum.
http://rumwithorangejuice.blogspot.com/

OJ + Gin is called an Orange Blossom. http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Bartending/Cocktails/Gin_and_Orange_Juice

Non liquors?
Orange juice and champagne is a Mimosa.

So it appears that unless you're possibly talking about a Cuban Screwdriver (rum), the only thing that can mix with OJ and be called a screwdriver is Vodka.

Yeah, I've always treated sake as though it were a hard liquour as well, but I never thought of using it in a mixed drink. It was always served in small doses, straight up, perhaps warmed a bit.

I figured we've got enough amateur experts and real bartenders on this board to answer this question definitively.

Say, anybody ever heard of making mixed drinks out of sake?

Absolutely. Your more chic japanese restaurants (not talking plain old sushi bars) tend to have a whole page in the cocktail menu devoted to various sake-based concoctions.

Yeah, I've always treated sake as though it were a hard liquour as well, but I never thought of using it in a mixed drink. It was always served in small doses, straight up, perhaps warmed a bit.

I figured we've got enough amateur experts and real bartenders on this board to answer this question definitively.

This made me curious so I went to one of my hubby's favorite websites (he loves trying new drinks) and I found these:

http://www.drinksmixer.com/cat/1582/

Jan

Daughter #3 moved to the Pacific Northwest a few months ago. Makes me wonder if this is a trendy regional thing there or something.

Found a sake sunrise online. Same as the sake screwdriver, just add a splash of grenadine.

OJ is too heavy to be mixing with anything. Tonic or Soda only.

Sake is a fortified wine. It shouldn't be mixed with anything, IMO, although plenty of places do so.

Good sake should be served chilled-heat is used to mask impurities, just as cold is used for bad beer.

But on both counts, drink what you like. Rock N Sake in the warehouse district has an extensive menu of sake drinks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom