Salary Cap ‘Hell’ has Come and Gone for the New Orleans Saints (1 Viewer)

Decent WRs; below average running backs; average at best OL; below average TE as a group. DE are way below average; DT average; LBs average at best; secondary was going to be a strength will now be a liability and I have never been a KV fan. Byrd is a waste. Without Brees, this would equate to an expansion team in terms of talent. With Brees, we are comparable to the Hank Stram teams when he with the coach of the Saints, i.e. all offense and no defense.

You're trying so hard to be pessimistic, I don't think YOU even believe yourself.

Things might not be as great as some posters say, but your evaluation of the team is the definition of hyperbole.

We were never in cap hell. Cap hell is having to cut players to get even with the cap and not being able to sign players due to those limitations. We took on dead money to open more cap space. Therefore, we were never unable to retain the players we wanted and/or sign FAs. It is not an ideal situation. I understand that we would rather see the signings workout for us instead of having to take on dead money to move on from some players, but the continued claims of "the Saints are in cap hell" is a overly parroted liberal use of a term that does not fit the Saints. Something like "sins against the cap" would probably be more applicable.

We literally couldn't release a player on the final cuts because we didn't have enough cap space. It cost us about $3.25 million to keep him for one week before releasing him because we couldn't scrape together a couple million bucks.

That's a pretty damn good indicator you are in cap hell.

That's just a stupidly ridiculous thing to say.

Been going to game since 1968. Went to the first game in the Superdome against the Bengals in 75 that we lost 21-0 I believe. Been with the Saints through thick and thin and have NEVER worn a bag. NEVER WILL. Been to the Super Bowl with them and have served on the sideline with them in the past. Will always love the Saints, but it's time to take your colored glasses off. We all lived through the mismanaged days of the Mecum years that are too numerous to enumerate. Current management has become a huge source of concern because of so many people wearing management hats that nobody knows what's going on. I do not say this lightly when I say the Saints are devoid of talent as a team. If you disagree, sorry, but break it down.

We literally couldn't release a player on the final cuts because we didn't have enough cap space. It cost us about $3.25 million to keep him for one week before releasing him because we couldn't scrape together a couple million bucks.

That's a pretty damn good indicator you are in cap hell.

Cap Hell typically means multiple future years of being cap strapped.

That's not us. We are not in cap hell. We kicked the can for a decade. We paid the credit card off this year (while still fielding a reasonably talented team, albeit young) and now are setup with lots of space in the future.

Been going to game since 1968. Went to the first game in the Superdome against the Bengals in 75 that we lost 21-0 I believe. Been with the Saints through thick and thin and have NEVER worn a bag. NEVER WILL. Been to the Super Bowl with them and have served on the sideline with them in the past. Will always love the Saints, but it's time to take your colored glasses off. We all lived through the mismanaged days of the Mecum years that are too numerous to enumerate. Current management has become a huge source of concern because of so many people wearing management hats that nobody knows what's going on. I do not say this lightly when I say the Saints are devoid of talent as a team. If you disagree, sorry, but break it down.

Really don't care how long you've been going to games.

Your description of the position groups and saying this is an expansion team in terms of talent is just ridiculously stupid and false.

And I already did break it down. You responded to my break down.

The fact that you think our WRs are only "decent," that our OL is "average at best," our DEs are "way below average," and that the our RBs are "below average" tells me all I need to know. Sandbag away.

You also need to realize there's a difference between a lack of acquired talent vs. injuries taking away that talent. The discussion was about the cap and whether it kept us from building a talented roster. Take the secondary for example. Breaux, Lewis, Wilson, Swann, Williams, Byrd, Bell, Vacarro. Can anyone say with a straight face that that group "lacked talent" back in the early summer when we assembled them? Same for the DL. Rankins, Kikaha, Fairly, Kruger, Jordan, Edebali, Davison, etc. There's not a lack of talent on that group. They aren't a murders row, but it's NFL talent. Injuries have cost us about half those guys I just listed.

If you want to argue that we aren't overly talented as we sit, today. Fine. But that wasn't what was being discussed.

We were never in cap hell. Cap hell is having to cut players to get even with the cap and not being able to sign players due to those limitations. We took on dead money to open more cap space. Therefore, we were never unable to retain the players we wanted and/or sign FAs. It is not an ideal situation. I understand that we would rather see the signings workout for us instead of having to take on dead money to move on from some players, but the continued claims of "the Saints are in cap hell" is a overly parroted liberal use of a term that does not fit the Saints. Something like "sins against the cap" would probably be more applicable.

We were absolutely not able to sign players because of the dead money. Are you suggesting that free agency would have gone exactly the same for the past couple years if we had 40 million extra in cap space? That's absurd.

. I do not say this lightly when I say the Saints are devoid of talent as a team. If you disagree, sorry, but break it down.

If you factor in the age of our players, things look a lot better.

I think our O line and D line need 1 player each to make this team a lot better.

And why is having 40-60 million free to blow on expensive FA's such a great thing?

The wide receiver group is, at minimum, a top 10 unit in the league.

Our top 3 WRs are awesome, looks like they have complimentary skill sets and great chemistry with Brees. But we did have to invest early round draft picks in back to back years to stock up on WR. If we weren't in "cap hell" we could have signed someone like Golden Tate in free agency and had more early draft picks to fix the defense with. And that's just one example. For people to pretend like their are no ramifications to the Saints mismanaged salary cap is ridiculous.

Really don't care how long you've been going to games.

Your description of the position groups and saying this is an expansion team in terms of talent is just ridiculously stupid and false.

And I already did break it down. You responded to my break down.

The fact that you think our WRs are only "decent," that our OL is "average at best," our DEs are "way below average," and that the our RBs are "below average" tells me all I need to know. Sandbag away.

Stated my facts; won't take any personal shots like you tend to do; let's keep to great discussion. However, if you compare our receiver group in our division that's what they are. Truth be told, Brees makes them shine. RBs are definitely not on par within the league and haven't been since Deuce. Ingram is a very average running back with below average speed and has yet proven to be durable; Hightower is not much different and then we have nothing.

Last edited:
Stated my facts; won't take any personal shots like you tend to do; let's keep to great discussion. However, if you compare our receiver group in our division that's what they are. Truth be told, Brees makes them shine. RBs are definitely not on par within the league and haven't been since Deuce. Ingram is a very average running back with below average speed and has proven to be durable; Hightower is not much different and then we have nothing.

You say we have cap problems, yet you want to spend money on big time RB's that we won't get our money's worth out of?

I'm also skeptical about the Saints salary cap problems being over. Isn't it true that the Saints currently lead the league in dead money for 2017? And if we cut Byrd in the offseason that adds another 8 million in dead money.

You say we have cap problems, yet you want to spend money on big time RB's that we won't get our money's worth out of?

Never once did I say that. Let me be clear- we need to upgrade every position on this team. Quit trading up in the draft and clean up our mismanagement.

Stated my facts; won't take any personal shots like you tend to do; let's keep to great discussion. However, if you compare our receiver group in our division that's what they are. Truth be told, Brees makes them shine. RBs are definitely not on par within the league and haven't been since Deuce. Ingram is a very average running back with below average speed and has yet proven to be durable; Hightower is not much different and then we have nothing.

Except they aren't "facts."

No one took personal shots at you either.

I'm looking at the division. Julio Jones is the best singular talent but the Falcons are not even close as a WR group. The Panthers 2nd best WR is Ted Ginn, who Snead caught 250 more yards than last year. The Bucs have Mike Evans and an old Vincent Jackson (who managed all of 600 yards last year).

The fact that you can't even bring yourself to admit that our 3-deep WR group is the best in the division means I'm not dealing with someone who's willing to concede the obvious.

we need to upgrade every position on this team.

Holy hyperbole batman.

I'm also skeptical about the Saints salary cap problems being over. Isn't it true that the Saints currently lead the league in dead money for 2017? And if we cut Byrd in the offseason that adds another 8 million in dead money.

If we stop rolling the dice on big money FA's, I think we're fine.

We need to do it like Fairley, Hightower, Wilson, Robertson. Sign them cheap, evaluate them for a year, then make a decision on re-signing them.

How could we have been in salary cap hell when our record speaks that we have always had a full deck to work with?

What kind of talent could we honestly bring in with $26m that would have given us a better record?

/sarcasmoff

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom