Salary Cap as of March 15, 2008 (1 Viewer)

mfalati

Reaction score
I thought you guys might be interested in seeing the status of our Salary Cap as of March 15, 2008. I know the title for the table says 2007. But read the article above it and it refers to it being 2008.

2008 New Orleans Saints Salary Cap Status Page

Ask The Commish.com - Projected 2008 Salary Cap Figures

Now my comment is, if we have to save approx. $5-6M for the draft (I don't know if this is true), then we have approx. $15M in cap space. I suspect that we will be signing both W. Smith and M. Colston long term.

So all of this talk that Will Smith is unhappy is way too premature. Charles Grant said the same thing. Then what happened. We signed him long term.

I can see D. Brees renegotiating his contract to a more friendly contract to even help the cause.

We have plenty of room and time to sign and still save some for next year.

Man, J. David better play better considering what he is making compared to other contributors on the roster.

I'd rather sign Colston/Evans and trade Smith.

deuce is way over paid. other shocking salaries were
mark campbell
kendrick clancy
jason craft
kk
stinchcomb

I thought you guys might be interested in seeing the status of our Salary Cap as of March 15, 2008. I know the title for the table says 2007. But read the article above it and it refers to it being 2008.

2008 New Orleans Saints Salary Cap Status Page

Ask The Commish.com - Projected 2008 Salary Cap Figures

Now my comment is, if we have to save approx. $5-6M for the draft (I don't know if this is true), then we have approx. $15M in cap space. I suspect that we will be signing both W. Smith and M. Colston long term.

So all of this talk that Will Smith is unhappy is way too premature. Charles Grant said the same thing. Then what happened. We signed him long term.

I can see D. Brees renegotiating his contract to a more friendly contract to even help the cause.

We have plenty of room and time to sign and still save some for next year.

There is no way we need $5-6 million for the draft. Last year, Houston, who also sat in the 10th spot, only needed $3.814 million to sign their rookies and they had more picks (7) than we stand to have right now (6). Of course, trading down and accumulating more picks can change that.

Check out this article ESPN - Raiders have most cap space to sign rookies - NFL

I think the Saints have done an outstanding job of managing the salary cap the last few years. There is precious little dead space on there with the exception of Brian Simmons. I agree that there is money being saved here that will probably go to Evans & Colston, and perhaps Will Smith.

I'd rather sign Colston/Evans and trade Smith.

We'll have money for all three. That's the benefit of not signing guys like Asante Samuel and Lance Briggs in free agency. And a reworked deal from Deuce will help out as well.

Also, I do not know how official these numbers from Ask the Commish are. I tend to believe that we may have more money. I think we may be closer to having between $25 and 28 million. Since the last time Adam Shefter updated the cap situations for each team, we have not really gone on any major shopping sprees outside of signing Dan Morgan and Mark Brunnell. I have a hard time believing that the two of them caused us to lose $10 million in cap space.

Last edited:
Grant, Charles $4,183,333.00
Smith, Will $2,951,667.00

Thought I heard earlier today that Smith is slated to make just over a million this year? If Grant already got his big pay day and Smith is sitting out to get his, just a one million difference doesnt seem worth complaining about?

Grant, Charles $4,183,333.00
Smith, Will $2,951,667.00

Thought I heard earlier today that Smith is slated to make just over a million this year? If Grant already got his big pay day and Smith is sitting out to get his, just a one million difference doesnt seem worth complaining about?

I know right? Also, I thought I saw in the Times Picayune that Will Smith got $20 million the last four years (would be like $5 million per year) by reaching incentives. That seems like a lot of money to me, even though his base salary isn't high he is still making more than many DE's in the league.

I think it's really odd that Colston makes less than Alleman and Bushrod.
He will get his payday and I think Smith should take a lesson from Colston and McCallister on how to be professional.

Deuce must re-do his deal. 6 million??? Yet Colston isn't making 500,000.

It would really suck if Will Smith is allowed to walk because Deuce is kept around.

How about the money for the Rookies?

I guess $20 Million to sign Rookies, Colston, Smith, and Vilma.

As i've said in previuos post. Somehow, the Colts have managed to pay Manning, Freeny, Clark ,Wayne, Harrison and Bob Sanders top dollar.

Here is the proff:Colts Salary Cap - Colts Cap

Loomis needs to find a way to pay our guys.

Last edited:
Depending on what we do with drafts/trades, don't be shocked if Craft is cut.

Look at the cap hit we took with Brian Simmons. Ouch.

Will Smith is the second best player on this team. You would be a complete idiot to trade him for anything less than a pair of #1's and no one is going to offer that, so it's out of the question. There is money there for a pair of $6 million dollar signing bonuses for Smith and Colston and a tidy sum for Evans as well as additional funds left to sign a journeyman or two should someone go down with an injury.

I really don't know why people are freaking out. The Saints will have at least $5 million left to spend on the cap before the season starts. Loomis will personally see to it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom