Salary cap for 2014 bumps up to $133M (1 Viewer)

sfbaysaint

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
This will make teams to procrastinate some of the hard decisions...
It definitely helps the saints... and will play a part, I assume, in the Graham negotiations.

NFL Media's Albert Breer reported Thursday the cap is expected to be set at $133 million, according to union and team sources. The official number could come as soon as Friday, according to Breer.

The $133 million salary cap figure would be an increase of nearly $10 million per team over 2013. The cap is primed to soar higher in 2015, after money from the league's new television deals enter the equation.

Salary cap expected to make nearly $10M jump in 2014 - NFL.com

It's went up more then what the total per yet cost of Graham will likely be and has more then encompassed what his first few seasons will cost us against the cap (5 million or so per year the first two seasons).

But we still have to trade him and call him "son" multiple times before we do it. Make it happen Loomis.

With teams now having more cap room to play with I expect 2 things to happen:

Lock up quality players now for long term
There will potentially be a bidding war for top notch FA's.

I know no one can predict the future but I would think teams have a forecast of what the cap will do in the following yrs. I read that the big jumps in the cap are expected next couple yrs once the tv money is all in.

So back loading contracts may not be as bad. I think Graham will get his money and Loomis will make it work. With the cap jumping up like this now and more so in the future they will likely be multiple players with large salaries.

I think Loomis and Co know this and I believe players will in general get paid more, which is what they wanted out of the new CBA. The money got taken from the rookies and now the second contracts are gonna be bigger especially for the All Pro players like Graham.

It's went up more then what the total per yet cost of Graham will likely be and has more then encompassed what his first few seasons will cost us against the cap (5 million or so per year the first two seasons).

But we still have to trade him and call him "son" multiple times before we do it. Make it happen Loomis.

Just because they increase the cap doesn't mean the saints should just give him what he wants... Regardless of cap, Loomis is going to put an offer on the table and he will either accept or be tagged. Franchising him for the next two years is better than paying a tight end 12 million a year.
We should really consider trading him, he's my favorite player but I would rather have great talent at 3 positions than elite talent at one...

It's amazing that so few understand the cap and how contracts are structured. Jimmy won't be getting $12 million, but even if he were, we could still afford it and sign other free agents by releasing some other players.

Next year the cap will probably jump a minimum of another $10 million; we will have adequate money to pay him and Jordan without a problem.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom