Salary cap: how do we get under? (1 Viewer)

As pointed out by Mike Triplett of The Times-Picayune,

Releasing Smith - $7.72 million in cap space.
Releasing Jonathan Vilma - $6 million
Brees' contract conversion - $6.6 million
Jahri Evans' contract conversion - $5 million
Guard Ben Grubbs contract conversion - $3.3 million

There's 28 million right away.

Well we know based on Sean Payton's interview on Sirius, Vilma is not being released.

Didn't Brees take a low ball deal last year for the team? Why would he restructure and get low-balled again, he is out best player? Evans restructured last year for the team. It may cost more to cut Harper than keep him, if so, we are screwed because he would have no incentive to restructure. You have to look at this as who is capable of being restructured/extended and who is an option for being cut, and you cannot base this on a cutting vs performance basis. You may end up cutting someone needed and producing due to high salary.

Drew didnt take a low-ball contract for the team. Contract was structured so that his cap-hit was the lowest for 2012 - 10.4mil. In 2013 it jumps to 17.4, 2014 - 18.4, 2015 - 26.4, 2016 - 27.4
It doesnt make sense for Loomis to restructure his deal, or he will count for a third of our cap room in 2 years. We just have to bite the bullet with Drew.

We need to get a DeBartelo on the payroll. Those guys can skirt the salary cap and not get busted til like 100 years later.

That was before the cap and they were always one of the highest payrolls.

Well we know based on Sean Payton's interview on Sirius, Vilma is not being released.

Well, to be objective, what Payton said doesn't mean Vilma will be on the team. Currently Vilma is under contract and the role he'd fit is the Will ILB. That doesn't mean he'll be on the team in a few months.

Just like if they asked him about Will Smith, he'd probably say his role would be in the Strong Side DE, since that one lines up over the Tackle, so it would be closer to his previous DE role, vs the Weak side DE, who is more like a 3 Tech DT.

But, I do hope Vilma stays and they work something out.

Here's the problem.
ON paper we want to cut vilma,harper, smith, restructure greer, low ball bushrod.

IT doesnt work that way though.

We are a loyal team, overly loyal in my eyes. They will overpay to keep Vilma, and restructrue and pay more than we should to keep smith and harper not because of talent but because they are "team guys" who say the right things, tweet positive things, etc etc, make up slogans.

Sadly slogans, tweets, and saying the right things doesn't win you games when the talent is gone. But the saints operate more like a fraternity than a cold blooded ruthless corporation. Which I actaully like. But we need more cold bloodedness, just a little.

We are a loyal team, overly loyal in my eyes. They will overpay to keep Vilma, and restructrue and pay more than we should to keep smith and harper not because of talent but because they are "team guys" who say the right things, tweet positive things, etc etc, make up slogans.

Sadly slogans, tweets, and saying the right things doesn't win you games when the talent is gone. But the saints operate more like a fraternity than a cold blooded ruthless corporation. Which I actaully like. But we need more cold bloodedness, just a little.

I hope you're wrong about us being overly loyal this offseason, but I fear that you're right.

Here's the problem.
ON paper we want to cut vilma,harper, smith, restructure greer, low ball bushrod.

IT doesnt work that way though.

Loyalty works both ways, if you see Smith, Vilma and apparently Harper (its a consensus that he is at risk on here...why I have no clue) back in black and gold it will be because they took pay cuts (released and resigned) or restructured postponing their release for a season or two.

I think we have solid players and we can add to the positions of need via the draft...we have the players to start the transition, we need to aquire the players to see it into the future.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom