Salary cap: how do we get under? (1 Viewer)

State Of Affairs

Just a dude...
Gold VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Ok, I'm arguing with everyone and decided to start a post to have you guys with data dispel my argument....

We're $20 million over the cap... We don't have a quality LT under contract (Bushrod or other)

I think a guy like Bushrod gets a $7million a year contract (I'm always underestimating this so that's probably low). 1st year would be something like $3million. Draft class will count about $3 million.

So now, we're at $26 million over the cap... We cut Vilma, Will Smith and Harper (I have no clue if we can cut Harper and save money, may cost more to cut him). So lets call that $10 million in savings..

That puts us at $16 over. How do we get under the cap AND sign Anthony Spenser as has become the popular suggestion since signing Rex Ryan or any other quality free agent????

Ok, I'm arguing with everyone and decided to start a post to have you guys with data dispel my argument....

We're $20 million over the cap... We don't have a quality LT under contract (Bushrod or other)

I think a guy like Bushrod gets a $7million a year contract (I'm always underestimating this so that's probably low). 1st year would be something like $3million. Draft class will count about $3 million.

So now, we're at $26 million over the cap... We cut Vilma, Will Smith and Harper (I have no clue if we can cut Harper and save money, may cost more to cut him). So lets call that $10 million in savings..

That puts us at $16 over. How do we get under the cap AND sign Anthony Spenser as has become the popular suggestion since signing Rex Ryan or any other quality free agent????

This year, they're is a ridiculously large amount of offensive tackles going into free agency. This is gonna cause Bushrod to not get the offers he's hoping for. Could make it very easy to sign him to a reasonable contract

Bushrod really isnt highly talked about from what i see. Tape dont lie.
And your math is kinda off.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Bushrod won't cost as much as ppl think.

Cuts:
Smith
Vilma - Most likely restructures for one year at the minimum.
Herring
Ellis

Restructures:
Greer - drops his base salary to around 2.5 million this year
Pierre Thomas - This could end up a trade. If he's not willing to restructure, his contract is trade friendly.

Brees - Brees has already negotiated the largest nfl contract. This was his duty to the rest of the players in the league to set the bar for everyone. He's got his huge signing bonus. he can restructure, in much the same way Tom Brady did, collect another bonus and push his salary into next year.

All these things are possible and can open up the cap room for a play on Spencer.

Here's what I did earlier... keep in mind I didn't really do too much research into the specific numbers of it all and most of it is estimates, but I think this is a realistic scenario. I know I'll get automatic red thumbs for the cutting of Jenkins, trading of Ivory and Harper, etc., but we're all just spitballing right now as it is. Also some of the numbers are probably incorrect because I cannot read charts correctly.

-Release (at 16 million over cap)
Will Smith (9 million)
Jonathan Vilma (4.8 million)
David Thomas (1.5 million)
Will Herring (1.5 million)
Zach Strief (2 million)
Malcolm Jenkins (2.4 million)
-Restructure (at 5.2 million under cap)
Drew Brees
Jahri Evans
Darren Sproles
-Resign (estimated at 17 million under cap)
Rafael Bush (done)
Elbert Mack
Courtney Roby
Junior Galette
Brian De La Puente
Justin Drechler
Chris Ivory
-Trade (estimated at 4 million under cap)
Chris Ivory for a fourth-to-sixth round pick
Roman Harper for a fourth-to-sixth round pick
-Sign (estimated at 12 million under cap)
LaRon Landry (estimate at 5 million against cap)
Anthony Spencer (estimate at 5 million against cap)
=Draft (entering season with 2 million under cap)

Vilma and Smith cut outright = 16.4 million in cap savings.

Saints face tough calls on Vilma, Smith - NFC South Blog - ESPN
Smith is scheduled to count $14.5 million against the cap. But the Saints could free up $10.4 million by releasing him.

Vilma is scheduled to count $8.6 million against the cap. The Saints could clear $6 million in cap space by releasing him.

If they're counting Bushrod at his last salary against the cap (not sure which source citing what numbers include what), he was 6.75 Million against last years cap, so the salary you quote for him wouldn't be much change; in fact it might save 3-4 million if they work out a cap friendly long term deal backloaded. We'd still have to find another 5-6M even if we cut both Vilma and Smith outright. Still, those cuts aren't as weak in terms of relief as you expected.

Bushrod really isnt highly talked about from what i see. Tape dont lie.
And your math is kinda off.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

That's what Bushrod made in his last contract, about $7 million a year... You think he's guna give the saints the "good guy" discount???

Ok... If my math is wrong then correct it.... If its off, then tell me where it's wrong... This is what I'm talking about in all the posts... "Oh Loomis is guna fix it and we're guns sign this guy or that guy". My question is how and "you math is off" means you don't know what your talking about...

Bushrod won't cost as much as ppl think.

Cuts:
Smith
Vilma - Most likely restructures for one year at the minimum.
Herring
Ellis

Restructures:
Greer - drops his base salary to around 2.5 million this year
Pierre Thomas - This could end up a trade. If he's not willing to restructure, his contract is trade friendly.

Brees - Brees has already negotiated the largest nfl contract. This was his duty to the rest of the players in the league to set the bar for everyone. He's got his huge signing bonus. he can restructure, in much the same way Tom Brady did, collect another bonus and push his salary into next year.

All these things are possible and can open up the cap room for a play on Spencer.

Again, wishful thinking... You didn't say one thing other then what you hope... How much is restructuring Thomas and Greer guna save us? $1.3 million? $3 million?

1st, I don't think you can restructure a contract until one year after its signed, SECOND, you guna push salary into next season where the salary cap is expected to only go up 2million and JIMMY GRAHAM's contract is up? That's another $10 million contract.

Again, wishful thinking... You didn't say one thing other then what you hope... How much is restructuring Thomas and Greer guna save us? $1.3 million? $3 million?

1st, I don't think you can restructure a contract until one year after its signed, SECOND, you guna push salary into next season where the salary cap is expected to only go up 2million and JIMMY GRAHAM's contract is up? That's another $10 million contract.

None of this is wishful thinking. It's a lot more plausible then what else was put on this thread.

This idea of a huge purge in the roster is ridiculous. The Saints have already shown how loyal they are to players. Restructuring Vilma last year, when they could've cut him. Especially with Lofton on the roster.

I don't think Payton is going to okay too many cuts on the performances under Spags coaching.

GM's push salaries into next year all the time. After a year of evaluations a whole new amount of cuts and restructuring will happen and clear more cap.

I've never heard of the 1 year rule. I thought Brees could restructure anytime he pleases

Vilma and Smith cut outright = 16.4 million in cap savings.

Saints face tough calls on Vilma, Smith - NFC South Blog - ESPN

If they're counting Bushrod at his last salary against the cap (not sure which source citing what numbers include what), he was 6.75 Million against last years cap, so the salary you quote for him wouldn't be much change; in fact it might save 3-4 million if they work out a cap friendly long term deal backloaded. We'd still have to find another 5-6M even if we cut both Vilma and Smith outright. Still, those cuts aren't as weak in terms of relief as you expected.

Yea, I gave Bushrod $3 million cap hit in 1st year... Maybe they could do league min in 1st year and get it to $1.5 million hit with signing bonus. $16.4 is a lot bigger then I thought for smith n Vilma but let's remember we have to replace those guys with back ups, perhaps we go with draft picks or league min guys... Doesn't bode we'll for depth...

Ok, so now we're at $8 million over... A lot more manageable but where do we get the rest... I wonder if we've restructured J Evans yet? Someone mentioned Greer... What about Colston P Thomas??

Trust that loomis will get it done just like he manages to do every year?

Seriously though. Vilma and smith gone. Restructure Harper and a couple others. Sign fa's to backloaded contracts

I genuinely like Vilma, and will be sad to see him and Smith go, but looking at just how much we can save by letting them go I can't imagine that both aren't gone.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom