Salary cap jumping over $16 million in 2023 ($224.8 M) (1 Viewer)

Landry went with us for a chance to come home. If that’s your best selling pitch to free agents, we have a bigger problem.
That’s my entire point. A free agent we were able to get for a reason other than money was a major disappointment.

Gotta pay to play when it comes to getting good players.

The other teams have the capabilities of “maneuvering”. There is nothing magical that Loomis does.
Anyone can. But not everyone does. And a lot of that is already decided.

We structure contracts in ways that allow us to create void years, movable money, etc.

We’re talking about this specific situation. Because of the way we’ve structured deals, the extra cap space allows us more flexibility based on how we operate.

We don’t HAVE to restructure every deal. The extra space allows us to absorb some specific contract hits that we would have otherwise had to spread out if we want to treat this more as a season to smooth out the cap situation.

But we can choose to do it if we want to kick the can and add potentially add a QB we like.

Last edited:
Anyone can. But not everyone does. And a lot of that is already decided.

We structure contracts in ways that allow us to create void years, movable money, etc.

We’re talking about this specific situation. Because of the way we’ve structured deals, the extra cap space allows us more flexibility based on how we operate.

We don’t HAVE to restructure every deal. The extra space allows us to absorb some specific contract hits that we would have otherwise had to spread out if we want to treat this more as a season to smooth out the cap situation.

But we can choose to do it if we want to kick the can and add potentially add a QB we like.
Hey, look! these same guys come on here every year saying the same things, we'll never be able to get players X,Y & Z, we're in cap hell and won't be able to get out, We can't attract this or that player because of this coach or some other reason. But you know what always happens, we usually get the players we want and are able to pay them fairly. It's going to happen again this season whether people like it or not. Frankly I don't care how we get there with the cap. I trust in Loomis and Harley to get it done. That is all.

If player X had the same offers on the team from two teams. Why would they choose us? Especially if it’s a WR. We won’t be an attractive destination without a HC, QB and OC. But you’re right we can always overpay for everything.
Back to the way it used to be.

In all seriousness people on here worry too much about the cap. Loomis has proven time and time again he knows what he is doing. The fact it's going to go up every year then why worry?!
That's what I'm screaming!! The cap is going to go up every year and Loomis and Harley are going to work around it to get the monies needed to get the players that will make this team better. But at some point in the future like we did back in 2015, we will have to eat a pile of dead money and release some veterans with large salaries and retool the team. It worked out very well for us back then and it will work for us again.

Last edited:
Saints can save $3.7 million by cutting Lutz. He was less than stellar in 2022, a rookie can be brought in and save $3 million. Lutz was great before he got hurt, then he got hurt. I hate the idea of going through the kicker jokers again, but Lutz was not money in 2022.

Not sure they go this route, but $3.4 million base, $250K roster and $50K workout bonus is a lot based on what he did in 2022.

Saints can save $3.7 million by cutting Lutz. He was less than stellar in 2022, a rookie can be brought in and save $3 million. Lutz was great before he got hurt, then he got hurt. I hate the idea of going through the kicker jokers again, but Lutz was not money in 2022.

Not sure they go this route, but $3.4 million base, $250K roster and $50K workout bonus is a lot based on what he did in 2022.

Saints currently $57M in the hole cap-wise, when that chicken comes home to roost, that's when the real rebuild starts...

It really is time to stop the madness. Why on earth should the Saints be starting 50 million over the cap every season without a franchise QB? Riddle me that. Yeah, Loomis and Khai were the smartest guys in the room with all of their cap manipulations when the team had Brees and SP. But there is no reason to keep doing it just for the lulz. The Saints aren't going to win it all without a franchise QB. And I'm not talking about damn Derek Carr either.

Don't try to be cute with the cap anymore just because you can. Take a year and get it together. Good god man. Think about the future. The window is shut. Time to build a new one.
I think Loomis already said that’s the goal. You just can’t do it overnight because every year there’s something you need. The only way you do it overnight is a complete gut of the team.

Hey, look! these same guys come on here every year saying the same things, we'll never be able to get players X,Y & Z, we're in cap hell and won't be able to get out, We can't attract this or that player because of this coach or some other reason. But you know what always happens, we usually get the players we want and are able to pay them fairly. It's going to happen again this season whether people like it or not. Frankly I don't care how we get there with the cap. I trust in Loomis and Harley to get it done. That is all.
I understand your overall point and some people get carried away with the cap doom and gloom but I have to disagree with this statement. The Saints have lost out on so many free agents because we couldn't offer a competitive deal. Loomis could offer less money but the opportunity to play with Brees, be coached by Sean Payton, and make a run at a Super Bowl. That worked on a player here and there but how many times did we come in 2nd place for some big time free agent? How many times were we this close? Loomis is known for placing a value on a player and standing by it. That's a nice way of saying that he low balls free agents, but he doesn't have much of a choice. When you start every offseason 50-80 million over the cap you don't have a lot flexibility.

The Saints haven't been able to pick and choose who they want in free agency and it's probably for the best. They have done their best when shopping in the bargain bin. When it comes to the 2nd and 3rd tier of free agents, that's when Loomis goes to work.

I understand your overall point and some people get carried away with the cap doom and gloom but I have to disagree with this statement. The Saints have lost out on so many free agents because we couldn't offer a competitive deal.
That’s simply not true.

Loomis always sets a price point. If the team feels a player is worth it, they have always either restructured existing deals to create space or given the current target a deal with a smaller base year number and more in bonuses, along with potential void years to smooth out the cap hit.

The FAs we’ve “lost” have been because we didn’t push beyond the price we felt the player was worth paying.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom