Salary Cap set at $123 million (1 Viewer)

Asking this assuming this is what you would do. You'd cut Jenkins and keep Harper???

It's not what I'd do, it's what would maximize cap space.

Cutting/trading Harper yields little-to-no additional cap space. Cutting Jenkins generates cap savings of around $2.5 million (minus whoever we sign to take his roster spot)

Asking this assuming this is what you would do. You'd cut Jenkins and keep Harper???

Jenkins is actually a very favorable cap cut with very little dead money. We can cover up Harper by playing him more in the box but there is nothing we can do to cover up Jenkins at safety. And now that we are moving back to man coverage he's a meh CB.

I think we could trade Jenkins away for a fourth or fith round pick. After running down the guy from behind there will be teams willing to take a chance on him. Harper I would cut or trade for a low pick. I would rather take the hit now then prolong his career as a Saint. Time to move on and look for a better safety..

No way in hell we cut Jenkins. Would be the dumbest move possibly. Jenkins and Jordan were the only people that actually played something that looked like defense last year. He didn't play very well but saved us numerous times over and over each game from looking any worse. Guy still has all pro potential. Sharper basically had a whole second or 2 to break on balls in GWs attacking D. Rees would have been exposed in our D at FS last year.

I would like all of these moves. Then to follow it up, trading for Revis and signing Ed Reed, anthony spencer and work on new deals for Graham and Ivory. In loomis I trust.

Woah there cowboy. Maybe two of the players you named will be wearing a Saints jersey when all is said and done.

It's not what I'd do, it's what would maximize cap space.

Cutting/trading Harper yields little-to-no additional cap space. Cutting Jenkins generates cap savings of around $2.5 million (minus whoever we sign to take his roster spot)

Thanks for your research. Very informative.

I would like to see us sign Greg Jennings if the price is right. From hearing him speak it sounds like he's more interested in a contender than a boat load of $. This guy is the best route runner and maybe best yac in the NFL besides an injury last year. I would love to sign Rogers Cromartie even if that meant paying him good $. Guy has potential to be better than his cousin. Young and can stay with anybody in man.

New Orleans Saints' defensive salary-cap figures for 2013 | NOLA.comUNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS IN 2013
LB SCOTT SHANLE 2012 salary cap number: $2.25 million

LB JONATHAN CASILLAS 2012 salary cap number: $1.26 million

DE TURK MCBRIDE 2012 salary cap number: $1 million

RESTRICTED FREE AGENT:
DE JUNIOR GALETTE 2012 salary cap number: $500,000
Keep

MOST LIKELY TO BE RELEASED OR RESTRUCTURED:
DE WILL SMITH
If released: Saints would be charged $6.8 million in pro-rated signing bonuses over 2013 and 2014

LB JONATHAN VILMA
If released: Saints would be charged $2.6 million in pro-rated signing bonuses in 2013

OTHER NOTEWORTHY CONTRACTS ($1 million or more):
S ROMAN HARPER
Signed through: 2014
2013 cap number: $7.1 million
If released: Saints would be charged $3.5 million in pro-rated signing bonuses over 2013 and 2014

S MALCOLM JENKINS
Signed through: 2013
2013 cap number: $3.9 million
If released: Saints would be charged $1.5 million in pro-rated signing bonus in 2013

LB WILL HERRING If released: Saints would be charged $333,000 in pro-rated signing bonus in 2013

LB CHRIS CHAMBERLAIN
If released: Saints would be charged $800,000 in pro-rated signing bonus over 2013 and 2014

I'm seeing all these numbers showing we are like 2.5m over to just under then why is schefter reporting we are $5.5 over ? Teams with least room this am: CAR $8 mil over cap; NO $5.5 mil over; WASH $3 mil over; AZ $1.2 mil over; OAK $800k over.

Those of you who understand all this better than I do, please explain something to me.

Do the teams not know from year to year how much the cap is? I mean, why would the front office make deals in any particular year that would put them "over the cap" in subsequent years?

I just don't get why every year it seems like nobody knows going in how much they've overspent in previous seasons.

What am I missing?

Those of you who understand all this better than I do, please explain something to me.

Do the teams not know from year to year how much the cap is? I mean, why would the front office make deals in any particular year that would put them "over the cap" in subsequent years?

I just don't get why every year it seems like nobody knows going in how much they've overspent in previous seasons.

What am I missing?

No. It's not set until right before the league year begins. And GMs guess at the amount it's going to rise and it has never risen as anyone has expected it to since the new CBA was signed.

No. It's not set until right before the league year begins. And GMs guess at the amount it's going to rise and it has never risen as anyone has expected it to since the new CBA was signed.

Ok, that explains it. Thanks.

So you're saying they've expected it to go higher than it has the past few years?

This is always the most interesting time of the year. These power moves always tell the story of the coming year. Many ppl speculate using that black and spirit but any of the moves they make would keep them a little higher than middle of the pack.

Loomis always works his magic but the money just is there and the only option is to hit big in the draft. Remember I love this time of year, but I think we all need to looks at any of the coming moves in a realistic light.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom