Salary Cap set at $123 million (1 Viewer)

Will Smith pay cut
Vilma pay cut
Harper extension
Jenkins cut
Pierre Thomas cut/trade
Will Herring cut

That gets us anywhere from $12 - 16 mil depending on how they do it. That's pretty much all the low hanging fruit. Past that you're talking nickels, not dollars, unless Drew restructures his deal, which would have serious consequences in the future.
Jimmy Graham contract needs to be done ASAP

rotoworld&#8207;<S>@</S>rotoworld
NFL: NFL sets cap at $123.9M, up from $120.6M http://dlvr.it/31QyPl

Jimmy Graham contract needs to be done ASAP

The cap won't be so bad in 2014 I don't think. Not great, but not bad. And it'll be even better in 2015. So they should be able to backload Grahams deal and fit him in without too much trouble, as long as they can agree on a price point.

The cap won't be the problem with Graham, how much they feel he is worth verses his own self-evaluation may be.

Will Smith pay cut
Vilma pay cut
Harper extension
Jenkins cut
Pierre Thomas cut/trade
Will Herring cut

That gets us anywhere from $12 - 16 mil depending on how they do it. That's pretty much all the low hanging fruit. Past that you're talking nickels, not dollars, unless Drew restructures his deal, which would have serious consequences in the future.

Hey whatever drugs your taking let us know! Hopefully it isn't that 25-1 :no:

Will Smith pay cut
Vilma pay cut
Harper extension
Jenkins cut
Pierre Thomas cut/trade
Will Herring cut

Vilma pay cut
Harper cut/traded
Jenkins play out the rest of rookie contract
Pierre Thomas Restructure/cut/trade
Will Herring cut

Vilma pay cut
Harper cut/traded
Jenkins play out the rest of rookie contract
Pierre Thomas Restructure/cut/trade
Will Herring cut

Roman Harper cut/trade does nothing from a cap perspective. He carries a cap number of $7.1 million, a dead money figure of $6.1 million.

When you account for signing a replacement for his roster spot, even at the minimum, "cutting/trading" Harper has almost no cap savings.

Nor does he have a lot of incentive to take a pay cut given that fact.

The only way to reduce his salary, honestly, is to extend his deal on the cheap and convert his base into pro-rated bonus.

I'm not recommending it, I'm saying that's the only real way to reduce his cap number.

@ $121.1 million: Saints are over by about $6.5 million. @ $122: It's $5.6 million. @ $123: It's just $4.6 million. They're getting closer.
&#8212; WWL-TV Sports (@wwltvsports) February 28, 2013
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
It's actually better for the #Saints. With Colston added (forgot to put that in the spreadsheet), it would be only $4.4 over at $121.1 mil
&#8212; WWL-TV Sports (@wwltvsports) February 28, 2013
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Looks like we're about $2.5M above the cap with it set at $123M.

Current Saints cap: $126,236,818

New Orleans Saints - 2013 Cap Hits

They are now $3,236,818 million over. They can get well under by releasing W. Smith and Vilma, or by restructuring their deals. If these two are released, they will save $13,808,332 in cap money. (Add the two cap figures and deduct the "dead money" figures to reach the savings on both combined.) That would put the Saints at $10,571,514 under the cap. That would enable them to make a little noise in the FA market, not to mention signing Bushrod to a contract, though I don't think he's worth the approximately $8 million average that Beatty got in New York. Five or six million? Yes. Eight million? No.

And remember...the average of the deal does not equal the cap hit. He could be signed for a cap-friendly deal for this year and next.

Current Saints cap: $126,236,818

New Orleans Saints - 2013 Cap Hits

They are now $3,236,818 million over. They can get well under by releasing W. Smith and Vilma, or by restructuring their deals. If these two are released, they will save $13,808,332 in cap money. (Add the two cap figures and deduct the "dead money" figures to reach the savings on both combined.) That would put the Saints at $10,571,514 under the cap. That would enable them to make a little noise in the FA market, not to mention signing Bushrod to a contract, though I don't think he's worth the approximately $8 million average that Beatty got in New York. Five or six million? Yes. Eight million? No.
$4-$5 will be needed for rookies. And even if it's a minimum deals, we'll have other roster spots to fill beyond the draft.

We might could retain Bushrod at a reasonable rate and get 1 mid-level FA, or make a play for a starter in FA but possibly let Bushrod walk, but anything beyond will require very real "Loomis magic".

$4-$5 will be needed for rookies. And even if it's a minimum deals, we'll have other roster spots to fill beyond the draft.

We might could retain Bushrod at a reasonable rate and get 1 mid-level FA, or make a play for a starter in FA but possibly let Bushrod walk, but anything beyond will require very real "Loomis magic".

I remember looking at our 2011 draft class, and even with 2 first round picks to sign, we barely hit 3M for that year. I think $2-3 is more likely for rookies.

Either way, Loomis has this.

Oh, we're forgetting, the Saints carried over cap-space.

NFL mailbag -- Carryover rules impact cap strategy - ESPN

$2.7 million, which puts us very near the figure needed already

The rollover is included in my figures. Check the link in my other post. Your post after mine is basically agreeing with me. My ideas are just speculation, but if the Saints could get above 10 million under, I think they would try to sign a FA on defense that they like who isn't considered "elite," or whose asking price is in the upper echelon for their position. I can see them signing someone on the rise who would get in the 3-4 million a year range.

Will Smith pay cut
Vilma pay cut
Harper extension
Jenkins cut
Pierre Thomas cut/trade
Will Herring cut

Asking this assuming this is what you would do. You'd cut Jenkins and keep Harper???

Will Smith pay cut
Vilma pay cut
Harper extension
Jenkins cut
Pierre Thomas cut/trade
Will Herring cut

I would like all of these moves. Then to follow it up, trading for Revis and signing Ed Reed, anthony spencer and work on new deals for Graham and Ivory. In loomis I trust.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom