Salary cap situation (1 Viewer)

AFSaint

Veteran
Reaction score
Can someone with knowledge of our cap situation explain how we keep all these expensive contracts next year and on? After Brees retires do you see us dismantling the team of highly paid veterans in exchange for some picks and start the rebuilding? It seems there are a lot of back loaded contracts and could be an issue starting next year.

Lots of restructuring and some tough cuts.

Kwon is the biggest question mark at this point. I hope we keep him.

Signing Lattimore is not a given but I still expect we do.

Ram is going to get signed.

Williams will not be signed. Somebody will over pay for him.

Hendrickson not likely to get signed. He'd be foolhardy not to enter free agency. He's going to get paid. Just not by us.

Things will definitely get interesting with the salary cap following this year. I haven't taken the time to look up cap numbers or player contracts so all I know is what I've read through SR recently. What I see doesn't look so great. I know Loomis has worked magic in the past but at some point you have to pay the piper.

What I'm seeing is a potential cap of $175 million with the Saints being in the neighborhood of $100 million over that number. That's a lot of cake to trim up. It's clear the team will have to cut loose some players they would otherwise like to keep.

As mentioned, Loomis will have his hands full with restructuring contracts and such.

Here's my take on it. Just an example, not a prediction.

Firstly I don't buy the 176mil cap number. I think it will be even to last year, 198 mil. So that's the target.

Salary Cap 198 mil
Current total 275.6 mil
Needed Savings 77.6 mil

Note that anyone I say is cut can be resigned once they make room. It doesn't have to be a cut, could be an extension or just a new contract. For this purpose, I'll just call it a cut for now.

Brees retires (13.5 mil savings)
Kwon Alexander cut (13.4)
Malcolm Brown cut (5)
Nick Easton cut (6)

Lattimore extend 4yr/80mil (6)
Ramczyk extend 4yr/80mil (7)
Armstead extend or restructure (6.7)

Jordan restructure (9.6)
J.Jenkins restructure (5)
Onyemata restructure (4.3)
Davis restructure (3.9)

You now have about 3mil cap room. You can restructure others like Peat (6), Sanders (3.4) or M.Jenkis (3.4) to make more room.

Last edited:
its a world of its own

but I dont care 🤣
Loomis is by far the best guy in the business. Its not even close

so just let him do his magic.
To put it with Mora: „You think you know, but you dont know. And you never will“

Here's my take on it. Just an example, not a prediction.

Firstly I don't buy the 176mil cap number. I think it will be even to last year, 198 mil. So that's the target.

Salary Cap 198 mil
Current total 275.6 mil
Needed Savings 77.6 mil

Note that anyone I say is cut can be resigned once they make room. It doesn't have to be a cut, could be an extension or just a new contract. For this purpose, I'll just call it a cut for now.

Brees retires (13.5 mil savings)
Kwon Alexander cut (13.4)
Malcolm Brown cut (5)
Nick Easton cut (6)

Lattimore extend 4yr/80mil (6)
Ramczyk extend 4yr/80mil (7)
Armstead extend or restructure (6.7)

Jordan restructure (9.6)
J.Jenkins restructure (5)
Onyemata restructure (4.3)
Davis restructure (3.9)

You now have about 3mil cap room. You can restructure others like Peat (6), Sanders (3.4) or M.Jenkis (3.4) to make more room.

No team can compete at 176M it might even go up a little to 208

In Loomis We Trust

Not to mention we have such a great culture that players will be willing to restructure deals a lot easier than most teams.

A lot of decisions to be made but I am confident they will find a way to make it work

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom