Salary Cap... To the CENT! (1 Viewer)

The one thing I don't understand is the other bonus section. Is that guaranteed in all cases, or are some of them roster bonuses and such that can be shaved off if the player is cut?

Either way, as much as I love Will Smith, I think he's done with the Saints.

I've seen that between his cap number, shouting match with Jerrah Jones, and DWI, Ratliff could be a cap casualty which could be a god send for us.

Ratliff would not be a good pickup...he's a shell of what he was 3 years ago as a player, let alone the baggage that comes with him off the field.

Vilma is in the final year of his contract, so he cannot be restructured. Restructuring Will Smith would take his cap hit in 2014 to close to 20 million dollars...we can't keep kicking the can with these players.

Good point, but he could be released and then re-signed to a new, more cap friendly agreement. Same for Will Smith. Restructuring isn't the right word for their situation. Regardless, Loomis will find a way to make it work. He has in the past and I don't see why he wouldn't be able to now.

Of course, my real point is that the current cap number will change quite a bit before opening day.

Dead Money
$64,166
Base Salaries
$94,790,105
Bonus Money
$30,450,358
Other Bonus
$20,660,749

Total Commitment=$145,901,212 Thats 2nd highest in the NFL in total commitment
money.

The New york Jets lead the way with $150,345,264.

With Drew at a 17.4 Cap Figure, Time to Get to Work and renegotiate!

Is all this information officially public information now?

I heard Loomis on the radio a few years ago saying that he doesn't know where people get these numbers because the each team's cap numbers are secret to the extent that they are not published outside the NFL.

So are these the real numbers or is it put together from information by what someone thinks they about player contracts?

Vilma is in the final year of his contract, so he cannot be restructured. Restructuring Will Smith would take his cap hit in 2014 to close to 20 million dollars...we can't keep kicking the can with these players.
Maybe they'll give him contract extension and extend him one or two more years and maybe he can do it with no signing bonus. Not saying its gonna happen, but is there really a market for Vilma if we were to cut him? Probably not any good teams that would take him and I doubt any team would break the bank based on his injury history. That's leverage for the saints to use to sign him to something more cap friendly. But I have to admit, I'm no expert on this stuff, I just thought I'd throw this out there.

I think Loomis did well last year, he signed five players that were good acquisitions including replacing Carl Nicks with the best possible FA and he resigned Brees and Colston. Sure we lost a few players that happens every year though.

People worry too much about the cap situation. It's almost like March is the NFL's Halloween and Mickey Loomis becomes Dr Sam Loomis and the salary cap is Michael Myers!!

Maybe people worry because they know the dangers of restructuring contracts. Restructuring is so popular because it gives a team cap space in their current season, and it gives the player what they really want - their money. Cap rules allow a team to take most of a player's base salary in the current year and convert it into a signing bonus.
This converted money is paid to the player when they agree to the restructure, essentially paying the employee in advance for his season's efforts. The unconverted base salary is still paid out to the
player on regular paydays. The team is gambling on the player's health, but they benefit by deducting the converted amount from the cap ledger, and divide its hit evenly across the remaining seasons on the players contract. You'll never hear a player complain about being asked to restructure
his contract. A common misconception among fans involves a player's restructuring of their deal being some token of their loyalty to their
particular organization. That is BS. Who wouldn't want to receive their annual salary up front? Get sick and need to miss work? Who cares? You already got paid. The second side of the restructuring coin represents those remaining years on the restructured player's contract. When highly paid veterans miss majority portions of regular seasons and post-season appearances, the team must not only replace the injured starter, but continue to count their enormous salary against the cap while doing so. When the injured player returns, his cap hit for the following years draw scrutiny and skepticism due to uncertainties about the player's health in those seasons.
When we restructure contracts, we are guaranteeing their pay, receiving no guarantees in return.

Maybe people worry because they know the dangers of restructuring contracts. Restructuring is so popular because it gives a team cap space in their current season, and it gives the player what they really want - their money. Cap rules allow a team to take most of a player's base salary in the current year and convert it into a signing bonus.
This converted money is paid to the player when they agree to the restructure, essentially paying the employee in advance for his season's efforts. The unconverted base salary is still paid out to the
player on regular paydays. The team is gambling on the player's health, but they benefit by deducting the converted amount from the cap ledger, and divide its hit evenly across the remaining seasons on the players contract. You'll never hear a player complain about being asked to restructure
his contract. A common misconception among fans involves a player's restructuring of their deal being some token of their loyalty to their
particular organization. That is BS. Who wouldn't want to receive their annual salary up front? Get sick and need to miss work? Who cares? You already got paid. The second side of the restructuring coin represents those remaining years on the restructured player's contract. When highly paid veterans miss majority portions of regular seasons and post-season appearances, the team must not only replace the injured starter, but continue to count their enormous salary against the cap while doing so. When the injured player returns, his cap hit for the following years draw scrutiny and skepticism due to uncertainties about the player's health in those seasons.
When we restructure contracts, we are guaranteeing their pay, receiving no guarantees in return.

Thank you...I never understood why people praise players so much for restructuring. All they're doing is agreeing to an advance on their salary.

And from the team's side, all they're doing is essentially borrowing money from future seasons' salary caps. Eventually, if you do it too much, it comes back to haunt you.

Dead Money
$64,166
Base Salaries
$94,790,105
Bonus Money
$30,450,358
Other Bonus
$20,660,749

Total Commitment=$145,901,212 Thats 2nd highest in the NFL in total commitment
money.

The New york Jets lead the way with $150,345,264.

With Drew at a 17.4 Cap Figure, Time to Get to Work and renegotiate!

LMAO....yep, Drew needs to renegotiate....take it, or.....??

Wow, that sucks for the Jets. At least we're in a place to compete.

As for us, there's no way Drew is going to renegotiate so early

Explain this statement.

What does Drew have to lose by restructuring? If the team asks him to restructure, he will. He'd still be getting the same salary, but just in the form of a bonus rather than broken out into his 16 game checks.

I need to sign up for those text alerts. I need to be notified when Will Smith is cut ASAP

http://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/salary-cap-how-do-we-get-under-286946/#.URukYPI62PY

We already had a lot of discussion about this subject and likely restructures, etc in here.

In regards to spotrac that lists "salary cap number". They are generally good estimates. I think in some cases they are able to get contract details, but I think they mostly use what is known information and then just do the math to split it up. They must get some of the roster bonuses. But they are not exactly accurate. For Will Smith it would show a cap savings of 9M if we cut him, but reporters reported that it would save over 10M. So, 1M is a significant difference.

I use that website to get a good idea of what can be done, but I know it's not perfectly accurate.

Last edited:
I'm sure those numbers are what reporters can gleen out of press reports. I'm sure Loomis is right, the money spent is probably a closely guarded secret. I'm sure he also has a plan as budget numbers are pretty close to forecast. I'm sure there will be players cut or forced to take a paycut, probably the ones that have been routinely mentioned here. I also don't think that with the exception of about 5 players that anyone is safe after last year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom