Salary Cap... To the CENT! (1 Viewer)

People dont understand that with constant restructuring we are heading to a Cap Hell in a year or two.

People dont understand that with constant restructuring we are heading to a Cap Hell in a year or two.

I would say more like 3-4, but I'm pretty sure everyone understands that and knows that when Drew's contract is up the whole thing will be torn down anyway.

I lie how the thread is claiming to have the exact number to the cent, yet the numbers come from an article that's says if got them from Sportrac, a site that I have never seen be very accurate since it doesn't have escalators, work out bonus, attendance, bonus etc worked in.

The NOLA article just recently had us at like $139M after almost $2M carried over for 2012

As for restructuring Brees, he makes like $27 & $28 the last two years, do we really want to start pushing those final years into $30+ Million?

I lie how the thread is claiming to have the exact number to the cent, yet the numbers come from an article that's says if got them from Sportrac, a site that I have never seen be very accurate since it doesn't have escalators, work out bonus, attendance, bonus etc worked in.

The NOLA article just recently had us at like $139M after almost $2M carried over for 2012

As for restructuring Brees, he makes like $27 & $28 the last two years, do we really want to start pushing those final years into $30+ Million?

No.

And in all honesty, we really don't need to go after Brees' contract to shave salary cap dollars. There are plenty of other contracts that we can get 2-5M a pop off the cap hit. So, it would be smarter to approach a few players, like last year, than try to get a bigger single payday out of Brees' contract... so to speak.

EDIT:. You're right about that site. They have the major items, like roster bonuses, etc, but their calculation for Will Smith's cap hit is wrong by about 2M according to what the media was reporting the other day. I just use it to ball park areas to save money. Maybe this thread should be renamed, "to the Million"

All loomis has to do is call drew and say how would you like all your money today and he saves a ton against the cap. This is the reason I like the cap but its so easy to manipulate.

I don't know. I'd be guessing. I could have sworn that the dead money was spread over what would have been the life of the contract since he's already been paid the bonus money anyway.

Here's a Steelers blog explaining how dead money is dealt with. My brain feels like mush and I can't comprehend anything right now. Tell me what's up lol

Explaining Salary Cap Dead Money | Steelers Depot

Is it 5:00 yet?

Looks like the dead money figure would change if he was cut after June 1.

Somewhere. :hihi:

Unless something changed in the latest CBA, guaranteed money is spread out over the life of the contract for cap purposes. However if you cut a player before their contract expires, all the unpaid guaranteed money counts against the cap that year.

Ah, forgot about the June 1 clause. I'm not sure that helps us though because we need to be under the cap before we can sign any free agents.

There is another clause in the new CBA that allows up to 2 players to be released early and treated as if the were released after June 1st. Smith is a perfect candidate for this rule.

(ii)
[FONT=Garamond,Garamond][FONT=Garamond,Garamond]Acceleration.
[/FONT][/FONT](1) For any player removed from the Team’s roster, or whose Contract is assigned to another Club via waivers or trade, on or before June 1 in any League Year prior to the Final League Year, or at any time during the Final League Year, any unamor-tized signing bonus amounts will be included in Team Salary for such League Year, except that for each League Year preceding the Final League Year, each Club may desig-nate up to two Player Contracts that, if terminated on or prior to June 1 and if not
renegotiated after the last regular season game of the prior League Year, shall be treated (except to the extent prescribed by Section 6(d)(iv) below) as if terminated on June 2, i.e., the Salary Cap charge for each such contract will remain in the Club’s Team Salary until June 2, at which time its Paragraph 5 Salary and any unearned LTBE incentives will no longer be counted and any unamortized signing bonus will be treated as set forth in Subsection (2) below

There is another clause in the new CBA that allows up to 2 players to be released early and treated as if the were released after June 1st. Smith is a perfect candidate for this rule.
Now we're talking. We would still have to pay the accelerated dead money next year though, correct? If so, it's still kicking the can down the street but maybe next year we'll be in better shape cap-wise.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom