Salary Cap? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I keep reading how the Saints have no room left to sign people. We had Drew Brees retire and Thomas has been injured all year. Did the Cap decrease in size this year? Can someone break down the Saints Salary plan and show how we are over the cap?

pruitt1997

Drew counts for 11.5M this year and another 11.5 next. Players like Thomas on IR and PUP still count against the cap. As right now the Saints are set to be $54M over the estimated $208M cap next year (that includes a $23M increase over this years cap. They only have 39 players under contract for next year with only Book for QB and a few high value players set to be FA due to void years.

Cap went down and the Saints are still carrying ~$20mil in dead money from Brees. Next year should be wide open.
No, if anything potentially worse. Only Book at QB. 54 or 57 million over the cap. Yeah they can restructure Ram and Latt, but there is precious little room even if they pushed all their cash forward.

Better hope those TV contracts come in big. Just checked. Direct TV potentially in 2022. Others signed in place for 2023. But a huge jump if loom is can push it until then

No, if anything potentially worse. Only Book at QB. 54 or 57 million over the cap. Yeah they can restructure Ram and Latt, but there is precious little room even if they pushed all their cash forward.

Better hope those TV contracts come in big. Just checked. Direct TV potentially in 2022. Others signed in place for 2023. But a huge jump if loom is can push it until then
Don't think the network contracts will come into play until 23 but I may be wrong. There are other deals that can be pushed out other further like Thomas, Peat and Kamara.

Don't think the network contracts will come into play until 23 but I may be wrong. There are other deals that can be pushed out other further like Thomas, Peat and Kamara.
You are right. Only one not in 23 is Direct TV in 22

Next year is going to be interesting. BTW Jameis Winston is only here for 1 year, no way they can afford to keep him pass this year. If he doesn't play another down he is easily worth 30 million, his agent can easily say "look what he did with no weapons and great coaching".

Next year is going to be interesting. BTW Jameis Winston is only here for 1 year, no way they can afford to keep him pass this year. If he doesn't play another down he is easily worth 30 million, his agent can easily say "look what he did with no weapons and great coaching".
Unless he leads this team to a SB no one is going to give him 30 million a year.

In order to keep some players under contract this year, Loomis pushed a portion of their 2021 cap hit into 2022, 2023 and 2024 by using voided years (player is not under contract to play but they count as a cap hit). Voided years' cap hits become dead money when the contracts void.

It's a total of $18M in 2022 (+ Drew's dead money hit of $11.5M... $29.5M total), $10M in 2022 and another $11M in 2023.

The list includes Taysom, Armstead, Winston, Smith, Oneymate, Davis and Jordan.

I agree with this but many find it fun to talk about.

Years ago ML said in a radio interview that each team's salary cap position is a team secret and that the information is not published so I quit thinking about it just because of that comment.
Right...I look at it this way, we have a guy in the organization that is a master of cap manipulation, so my college drop out arse ain't going to figure out something that he can't.

They manage to make it through being over $100 mil this offseason and still put together a competitive team. Next offseason should be a piece of cake for the FO

Drew counts for 11.5M this year and another 11.5 next. Players like Thomas on IR and PUP still count against the cap. As right now the Saints are set to be $54M over the estimated $208M cap next year (that includes a $23M increase over this years cap. They only have 39 players under contract for next year with only Book for QB and a few high value players set to be FA due to void years.

yes, we are in worse shape next year regarding the cap than we were this year

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom