Sam Houston Tollway (1 Viewer)

joyrida12

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Not saying I particularly enjoy paying the tolls but I do however enjoy the fact that it is well maintained and highly convenient. For some economic perspective check out the tolls in New York, ill take Sam Houston's tolls any day of the week lol.
Tolls in New York

OP
BHM

BHM

Can't please 'em all
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Had to stop and pay the $1.75 toll three times.

Was a nice road though.

joyrida12

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Had to stop and pay the $1.75 toll three times.

Was a nice road though.
Smooth ride, 60-70 mph speed limit that is "loosely" enforced, and plenty of on and off ramps. Not to mention it beats the hell out of having to drive to 610, or worse downtown, just to get to katy or baytown.

OP
BHM

BHM

Can't please 'em all
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Smooth ride, 60-70 mph speed limit that is "loosely" enforced, and plenty of on and off ramps. Not to mention it beats the hell out of having to drive to 610, or worse downtown, just to get to katy or baytown.

Is there a camera that takes the driver's picture at the toll booth? There was a young guy in the lane next to us holding up his middle finger in front of his face.

wcklink

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
This is the real deal. I rode it every day for 7 years and would have paid double. With EZ tag installed you roll through the toll stops at full cruising speed and the toll keeps the traffic to an acceptable level.

joyrida12

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Is there a camera that takes the driver's picture at the toll booth? There was a young guy in the lane next to us holding up his middle finger in front of his face.
Yeah, if you roll up and don't have any cash its your responsibility to stop at an easy tag location and pay the missed toll. The booth workers hand you a piece of paper explaining what to do and if you don't follow the steps to pay the toll you (whoever the vehicle is registered to) get a letter with a fine and picture of your vehicle in the mail.

Mr. Blue Sky

Still P***ed at Yoko
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Not saying I particularly enjoy paying the tolls but I do however enjoy the fact that it is well maintained and highly convenient. For some economic perspective check out the tolls in New York, ill take Sam Houston's tolls any day of the week lol.
Tolls in New York

I was in New York City 2 wks ago for work.. Rented a car to go 45 min to Connecticut and back.. I wound up paying $29.50 for tolls.

I live in Houston where the Sam Houston Tollway is, and ive had an EZ pass for yrs on my personal car, but havent gotten one yet for my company car.. fortunately I'm able to stick to surface streets for the most part with my job, cause Houston traffic is no joke.

tenordas

Vesti le procè flamber
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Houston via New Jersey, New Orleans, Baton Rouge,
Tolls in New York
:plus-un2:Having lived in Jersey for 14+ years before coming to Houston, I can tell you the tolls here are a far cry less - along with the taxes also being a far cry less. The Parkway, the tunnels, the GWB, this bridge, that bridge, etc., etc. It just keeps coming at you up there. :angryrazz:

joyrida12

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
:plus-un2:Having lived in Jersey for 14+ years before coming to Houston, I can tell you the tolls here are a far cry less - along with the taxes also being a far cry less. The Parkway, the tunnels, the GWB, this bridge, that bridge, etc., etc. It just keeps coming at you up there. :angryrazz:
I spent 3 months living around the baltimore/dc area and I thank god every day I live down here. The cost of living there is outrageous and taxes are just plain ridiculous. It cost me $800 dollars a month to rent an RV spot, which was literally a gravel patch with a water hose and 220V power outlet.

Not only do they tax the hell out of you and charge egregious tolls, they also have free standing radar detectors, fining everyone going 3mph over the limit, lining the surface roads in smaller cities.

Maryland is one state I would be completely ok with not ever going back to lol.

All The Way

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It would he better if the tolls weren't so steep... You might easily be paying $7 to get to work each day.

I don't know how low wage workers are able to cope. Either deal with an extra hour in traffic by skipping the toll road or pay the toll and have to work your first hour just to scratch even.

Crzycjunx76

Iron Era Origional
Reaction score
Seattle by way of Texas, originating in SELA.
I don't know how low wage workers are able to cope.
In Houston it is really a luxury tax. If you want the fast commute with less traffic you pay the toll if not there are other ways to get where they are going.

If you are headed to Katy during rush hour the Westpark Tollway might not be as direct a route as I 10 but it is a much more pleasant ride.

I really like the idea of setting up roads parallel to arterials that are toll roads. The toll roads provide a more pleasant commute to those willing to pay... which alleviates some of the congestion on the main road and provides funds to help in keeping both maintained.

OP
BHM

BHM

Can't please 'em all
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It would he better if the tolls weren't so steep... You might easily be paying $7 to get to work each day.

I don't know how low wage workers are able to cope. Either deal with an extra hour in traffic by skipping the toll road or pay the toll and have to work your first hour just to scratch even.

The stretch we were own required us to pay $1.75 three times. Assuming the return trip is the same, that is about $2,500 a year to travel each day for work. The ez-tag drops the rate to $1.40 which is still over 2,000/year unless my math is off again.

It does not seem fair for the poor people who must take other routes which end up burning much more gas being stuck in stop and go traffic.

Louisiana Joseph

Purple Gold!
Reaction score
When I lived in Houston I would just ride the beltway feeder. No one really calls it the Sam Houston Tollway, it's Beltway 8. Traffic on I-610 didn't get bad unless you were coming to Uptown (Galleria) and during Texans games. Traveling to Katy sucks during rush hour but that's the price of living in the burbs.

dgpatel

5 0 4 Boy
Reaction score
I currently live in the Katy area and often take Westpark tollway and the Beltway to/from work. Some days, I opt to take local (free) roads if the traffic isn't too bad on them. This helps cut cost and only adds a few minutes to my commute.

There are a lot of people travelling on the roads, especially during rush hour. People who are willing/capable of paying for an easier and quicker commute deserve to do so -- besides, the toll roads were built with the intent of being paid off by future toll revenue (except parts of the Beltway, which now fund other toll road projects around Houston. I think this is unfair but i wont get into that right now). This also reduces traffic drastically on the free routes, for those unable to pay.

Also note that traffic is often standstill even on the tollways. There have been several instances where I've gotten to work faster on the feeder roads than I could have on Westpark tollway being backed up due to a wreck. So in these cases people who have paid are at a disadvantage.

I think in order to encourage carpooling (and reducing cars on the road), more of the tollways need to allow free HOV during rush hour commutes, like the Katy Freeway Managed Toll Lanes do.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom