Sam Mills (1 Viewer)

iamsaved

Just gettin started
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Can he be the last dome patrolee to enter into the HoF .
What are his chances? Although I think he was every bit as good as Rickey Jackson. I say eventually he gets in. Maybe it should of been him instead of Morten Andersen imo.

El Caliente

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
70002 via 92243 via 48109 via 92122 via 70119
Hard to believe that the Field Mouse has been gone now for 12 years (2005). Crazy how time flys, and how we just never notice it.

I think Sam Mills will eventually get in for a few reasons.

1) He was a member of the all 90's all decade team.
2) 4 time All-Pro, 5 time Pro Bowler.
3) His stats are on par with 4 other recent HOF inductees. Sam Mills Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com
4) In a time when character is everything he was a complete player – an inspiration to teammates on and off the field and, later, as an assistant coach…and compiled a resume that demands closer inspection.

He has to make it on a list first, once that happens it might take a few years, but he should get in.

Saint Greg

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If Andre Tippett got in, Swilling should get in. Top 25 all-time in sacks. 7 more than Tippett or Charles Haley...And 1991 defensive player of the year. Tippett also had one DPOTY, Haley had two.

Saint Greg

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Vaughn just didn't play long enough. He finished with half the tackles Mills had.

porculator

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Next time the Saints (or maybe the Panthers) make it to the Super Bowl maybe Mills gets in.

For whatever reason the voters love to vote for players for the Super Bowl teams. It's no coincidence Jackson got in when the Saints were in the SB and Andersen got in when the Falcons were.

Saint Greg

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Next time the Saints (or maybe the Panthers) make it to the Super Bowl maybe Mills gets in.

For whatever reason the voters love to vote for players for the Super Bowl teams. It's no coincidence Jackson got in when the Saints were in the SB and Andersen got in when the Falcons were.
I think Tippett was around the time the Patriots started winning super bowls.

El Caliente

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think Tippett was around the time the Patriots started winning super bowls.
He was.

Cortez Kennedy, Walter Jones, and Kenny Easely were all HOF players, but it wasn't til the Seahawks started becoming competitive as of late that Kennedy and Easely were admitted.

Easley is a guy who had a very similar career to Mills and Swilling IMHO.

jeepman

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Can he be the last dome patrolee to enter into the HoF .
What are his chances? Although I think he was every bit as good as Rickey Jackson. I say eventually he gets in. Maybe it should of been him instead of Morten Andersen imo.
Im a big Sam Mills fan, one of the reasons why I became a saints fan as well. With that being said, I don't think he will get in. I would LOVE to be wrong though.

Saintaholic

<><><><><><><><><><><>
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I could see Mills getting in years down the road as one of the "senior" guys; can't see him making it as a non-legacy player at this stage after this long.

Mills, Jackson, and Swilling all would be in if we had made a bigger dent in the playoffs during their time and/or won it all.

"Meat" was good, but not HOF worthy IMO. Didn't realize until just now though that he made 4 Pro Bowls.

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sam will eventually get in. His tackles and what he means are one thing, but his work as leader and coach in Carolina will be what eventually gets him in.

JackT.

was Jake from State Farm
Reaction score
If Pat ever receives any consideration, it'll be years down the road. I don't think Vaughan Johnson will ever receive any.
Vaughn just didn't play long enough. He finished with half the tackles Mills had.
I think the response was to the OP quote that the last of the Dome Patrol to enter the HOF. Vaughn Johnson and Sam Mills are not in the HOF.

PayOrPlay

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Hard to believe that the Field Mouse has been gone now for 12 years (2005). Crazy how time flys, and how we just never notice it.

I think Sam Mills will eventually get in for a few reasons.

1) He was a member of the all 90's all decade team.
2) 4 time All-Pro, 5 time Pro Bowler.
3) His stats are on par with 4 other recent HOF inductees. Sam Mills Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com
4) In a time when character is everything he was a complete player – an inspiration to teammates on and off the field and, later, as an assistant coach…and compiled a resume that demands closer inspection.

He has to make it on a list first, once that happens it might take a few years, but he should get in.

Right--that's reason #5: Sam is venerated by two different, rival fan bases, so there's more energetic advocates. That same fact surely helped Morten's case.

Saintaholic

<><><><><><><><><><><>
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I really hate that Carolina "claims" Mills now after just three seasons playing there (yes I realize he coached there too). I just wish we could have kept him in N.O. That statue belongs in front of the dome.

El Caliente

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I really hate that Carolina "claims" Mills now after just three seasons playing there (yes I realize he coached there too). I just wish we could have kept him in N.O. That statue belongs in front of the dome.
Nothing is stopping us from having one here. Not to take away from Sam's time here but I believe he meant more to the Panthers franchise though as they were a start up and he was the very first leader on that team. His time here he was one of many leaders on this team, but in Carolina he was the guy that kept everyone else in order.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom