Sam Mills (1 Viewer)

iamsaved

ready!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Can he be the last dome patrolee to enter into the HoF .
What are his chances? Although I think he was every bit as good as Rickey Jackson. I say eventually he gets in. Maybe it should of been him instead of Morten Andersen imo.

Hard to believe that the Field Mouse has been gone now for 12 years (2005). Crazy how time flys, and how we just never notice it.

I think Sam Mills will eventually get in for a few reasons.

1) He was a member of the all 90's all decade team.
2) 4 time All-Pro, 5 time Pro Bowler.
3) His stats are on par with 4 other recent HOF inductees. Sam Mills Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com
4) In a time when character is everything he was a complete player – an inspiration to teammates on and off the field and, later, as an assistant coach…and compiled a resume that demands closer inspection.

He has to make it on a list first, once that happens it might take a few years, but he should get in.

If Andre Tippett got in, Swilling should get in. Top 25 all-time in sacks. 7 more than Tippett or Charles Haley...And 1991 defensive player of the year. Tippett also had one DPOTY, Haley had two.

Vaughn just didn't play long enough. He finished with half the tackles Mills had.

Next time the Saints (or maybe the Panthers) make it to the Super Bowl maybe Mills gets in.

For whatever reason the voters love to vote for players for the Super Bowl teams. It's no coincidence Jackson got in when the Saints were in the SB and Andersen got in when the Falcons were.

Next time the Saints (or maybe the Panthers) make it to the Super Bowl maybe Mills gets in.

For whatever reason the voters love to vote for players for the Super Bowl teams. It's no coincidence Jackson got in when the Saints were in the SB and Andersen got in when the Falcons were.

I think Tippett was around the time the Patriots started winning super bowls.

I think Tippett was around the time the Patriots started winning super bowls.

He was.

Cortez Kennedy, Walter Jones, and Kenny Easely were all HOF players, but it wasn't til the Seahawks started becoming competitive as of late that Kennedy and Easely were admitted.

Easley is a guy who had a very similar career to Mills and Swilling IMHO.

Can he be the last dome patrolee to enter into the HoF .
What are his chances? Although I think he was every bit as good as Rickey Jackson. I say eventually he gets in. Maybe it should of been him instead of Morten Andersen imo.

Im a big Sam Mills fan, one of the reasons why I became a saints fan as well. With that being said, I don't think he will get in. I would LOVE to be wrong though.

I could see Mills getting in years down the road as one of the "senior" guys; can't see him making it as a non-legacy player at this stage after this long.

Mills, Jackson, and Swilling all would be in if we had made a bigger dent in the playoffs during their time and/or won it all.

"Meat" was good, but not HOF worthy IMO. Didn't realize until just now though that he made 4 Pro Bowls.

Sam will eventually get in. His tackles and what he means are one thing, but his work as leader and coach in Carolina will be what eventually gets him in.

If Pat ever receives any consideration, it'll be years down the road. I don't think Vaughan Johnson will ever receive any.

Vaughn just didn't play long enough. He finished with half the tackles Mills had.

I think the response was to the OP quote that the last of the Dome Patrol to enter the HOF. Vaughn Johnson and Sam Mills are not in the HOF.

Hard to believe that the Field Mouse has been gone now for 12 years (2005). Crazy how time flys, and how we just never notice it.

I think Sam Mills will eventually get in for a few reasons.

1) He was a member of the all 90's all decade team.
2) 4 time All-Pro, 5 time Pro Bowler.
3) His stats are on par with 4 other recent HOF inductees. Sam Mills Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com
4) In a time when character is everything he was a complete player – an inspiration to teammates on and off the field and, later, as an assistant coach…and compiled a resume that demands closer inspection.

He has to make it on a list first, once that happens it might take a few years, but he should get in.

Right--that's reason #5: Sam is venerated by two different, rival fan bases, so there's more energetic advocates. That same fact surely helped Morten's case.

I really hate that Carolina "claims" Mills now after just three seasons playing there (yes I realize he coached there too). I just wish we could have kept him in N.O. That statue belongs in front of the dome.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom