Sam Montgomery, Barkevious Mingo Admit To Bets Based On Performance [Merged] (1 Viewer)

I bet they won't even get questioned about this if they get taken by other teams. But if the Saints take either, this will surface and a huge deal made of it.

There must be more to this story. There's no way LSU or any other university would slam a former player without just cause. They must have had a falling out of some kind. But over what?
Exactly. If true, they have pretty much destroyed any hopes of a decent recruiting class again. Not to mention the rumor started as the LSU coaches not exactly giving Montgomery a ringing endorsement. Tomorrow the rumor becomes "Big Sam Kills Kittens Before Every Game then takes a nap".

Exactly. If true, they have pretty much destroyed any hopes of a decent recruiting class again. Not to mention the rumor started as the LSU coaches not exactly giving Montgomery a ringing endorsement. Tomorrow the rumor becomes "Big Sam Kills Kittens Before Every Game then takes a nap".

Or it just kills their chances of recruiting the next Jamarcus Russell. Instead of giving slackers a pass, like your encouraging, more universities should stop putting up with it.

Should the coaches just put their reputation aside a lie for him? If a NFL team asks if he puts in effort they will tell it exactly like it is.

I don't know why you would think it would "destroy any hopes of a decent recruiting class again". College coaches give damning endorsements of players. It happens. Carl Nicks in the 5th because of coaches endorsement, Greg Hardy in the 6th due to coaches endorsement, etc, etc. It happens fairly regularly :shrug: and it's laughable to think it,l seriously impact LSUs recruiting.

Or it just kills their chances of recruiting the next Jamarcus Russell. Instead of giving slackers a pass, like your encouraging, more universities should stop putting up with it.

Should the coaches just put their reputation aside a lie for him? If a NFL team asks if he puts in effort they will tell it exactly like it is.

Exactly. While Les Miles may not have NFL aspirations, he does have a professional reputation. And his assistants may have NFL aspirations. Also importantly, when you want to sell your appraisal of a 1st round bubble guy like Kevin Minter, or get a guy headed for UDFA drafted, you better have a reputation as a straight shooter.

Exactly. While Les Miles may not have NFL aspirations, he does have a professional reputation. And his assistants may have NFL aspirations. Also importantly, when you want to sell your appraisal of a 1st round bubble guy like Kevin Minter, or get a guy headed for UDFA drafted, you better have a reputation as a straight shooter.

Also no school wants to have a guy drafted early and then bust in the NFL. Fair or not, Russell hurt LSU's reputation when he went first overall and then turned out to be the biggest bust in NFL history.

Also no school wants to have a guy drafted early and then bust in the NFL. Fair or not, Russell hurt LSU's reputation when he went first overall and then turned out to be the biggest bust in NFL history.

Well I don't know about that. Maybe with quarterbacks but LSUs pro quarterback reputation was/is nearly non existent anyways.

But you are right, LSU has an absoloutely sterling reputation for producing defensive players and I can see coaches guarding that fiercely. Arguably that reputation is far more important for their recruiting than a player who left for the NFL against advice, or had serious discipline problems and was getting kicked off anyways, or any other number of reasons LSU coaches could come up (real or imagined).

It's simply worth noting that
1) it's not remarkable that coach may criticize a potential draft pick. Not super common (actually now that I'm remembering, Colston was dogged by his Hofstra coach as well) but it happens.

2) it's also not the end-all, be-all evaluation for a player. Again, Carl Nicks, Greg Hardy, Marques Colston. It's certainly worth considering, my memory is skewed towards success stories because the ones who coaches criticize and fail just disappear from the NFL and aren't memorable, but certainly there are a lot of players who succeed despite issues with their college coaches and even use that criticism as fuel for their success.

LSU I think always lets it known who doesn't work hard.

well-played-indeed-32.jpg

I hope not. Russell was a pretty damn good QB at LSU. Why would Les Miles care how Oakland spends their draft picks? Your reputation is harmed far more by trashing people behind their back.

BTW, why no attention to how Chavis feels about Montgomery?
"I think with Sam Montgomery and Barkevious Mingo as a pair, I don't think I would trade them for any two defensive ends in the country," Chavis said at LSU's media day.
Obviously Chavis isn't respected by NFL Scouts. :mad:

LSU I think always lets it known who doesn't work hard.

well-played-indeed-32.jpg
This has been discussed again and again on various message boards. It's a motivational tool. Funny how so many of those names kept starting long after the posting of that sign despite LSU's obvious depth and talent. A lot of talented LSU players have had their names on that list I am told, including Patrick Petersen who was known for his tireless work ethic. True? I have no idea, just like all of you. Moffitt tweeted that this particular group missed a class after it was posted on Deadspin.

However, it's indicative of how the LSU staff communicates with NFL scouts. Note that it doesn't say trash LSU players or give less than ringing endorsements. It says "will not answer questions" which is how a college professional handles the situation when asked about the work ethic of a player with poor work ethic.

Trashing people to others displays a lack of professionalism, regardless of the job or industry. I would hope that with all the money spent on the LSU staff, the school has at least bought a little professionalism.

However, it's indicative of how the LSU staff communicates with NFL scouts. Note that it doesn't say trash LSU players or give less than ringing endorsements. It says "will not answer questions" which is how a college professional handles the situation when asked about the work ethic of a player with poor work ethic.

First of all, what it says is "(won't answer questions) as they only care about themselves"

Throw a bow on it and shove a lollipop in its mouth, it's still "trashing" the player.

Secondly

"Does this person work hard?"
"Honestly, they were late quite a bit. We had some problems with keeping them motivated and focused"

Is perfectly professional. It happens hundreds of times a day in hundreds of careers when people check with former bosses and references. Welcome to the real world players.

I'm honestly shocked at why this is so shocking a development for people.
where do you think questions about players work ethic come from?

These aren't just random rumors that NFL teams generate for ***** and giggle (well, sometimes they are). Scouts talk to coaches. They talk to weight room personal. They usually get told the truth, or at least what the person believes is the truth.

"Yeah I really had to stay on his *** to keep him in the weight room"

"Player x not a gym rat"

And I mean, why would someone not be honest? If when you did your first job application they talked to every single professor you ever had, you don't think a couple wouldn't at least allude to your failings as a person?

We're talking a multi million dollar investment in a fairly tight knit profession where everyone knows everyone and you act like its somehow unthinkable when even the hiring manager at Walmart might just call your former boss at Walgreens and ask if you were late to work sometimes. Who would probably tell him if you were.

Larger question: where did they get the money from to be betting $500 on stats for a particular game, or $1,000 to have a bet riding on season tallies as unemployed college students? Things that make you go hmm.

First of all, what it says is "(won't answer questions) as they only care about themselves"

Throw a bow on it and shove a lollipop in its mouth, it's still "trashing" the player.
No, it's not.

Secondly

"Does this person work hard?"
"Honestly, they were late quite a bit. We had some problems with keeping them motivated and focused"

Is perfectly professional. It happens hundreds of times a day in hundreds of careers when people check with former bosses and references. Welcome to the real world players.
Clearly I'm more of a professional than the people you work with or have worked for.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom