Same Old Saints?? (1 Viewer)

ronno1

Reaction score
This game is a MUST WIN if we want to shed the old stigma. If we cannot beat Philly when they are minus their leader then we are not for real. Like it or not that's the way it is. We have mega talent and folks are healthy. This is a game that we SHOULD win hands down. Will we? If we are for real we will and if not....well ....SOS.

Errr... no.

The Eagles are a quality team, picked by many pundits to win the confernence championship (for what that's worth). We're playing in their park, and its their home opener. Even without McNabb, this is a tough game.

Do I hope we win? Absolutely.

Do I think we will? Yeah, I do.

Is it a "must win" or else doom and gloom? **** no!

Disagree 100 %

The is going to be a battle between the #1 offense and the #1 Defense in the league. But even more it is going to be a battle between to relatively unknowns - Saints D# and Eagles QB Kolb. I think this game is going to be close and is going to be decided by ST and turnovers.

Eagles, even without McNab is no walkover and it is going to be a tough game, I do hope that we prevail and come out with a win, but no matter how you put it - this team is not even close to be SOS. The talent, the workethics and the hunger is so far from what you call SOS that the comparison IMHO is so far off

Sorry but I hold my position. You are 100% correct. The Eagles are a very good team. But so are we and the simple fact is that without DM we SHOULD win. My question is will we win a game that we SHOULD win.

While I don't consider this a must win by any means, I don't think you meant to imply that it was in the sense that the season is shot if the Saints lose. But, to some degree, I do agree with you that it would be very saint-like to go out and have a flat, dull, uninspired performance. We have seen such a showing many, many times before, in both the Haslett-Brooks era and the current Payton-Brees era. Here's an opportunity to show that victories will come through all conditions, not just at home against weak sauce.

I agree. If we plan on being Super Bowl contenders, these are the types of games that we have to take advantage of. The Eagles will be without:

starting QB Donovan McNabb
starting LG Todd Herremans
starting RG Stacy Andrews (benched, could rotate)
starting RT Shawn Andrews
starting MLB Stewart Bradley
starting DE Victor Abiamiri (questionable, might play)
LB Joe Mays
FS Quentin Demps

The Saints HAVE to win this game if they want to be taken seriously.

I'm not usually a MUST-WIN guy until you get down to mathematics at the end of the season.

HOWEVER ...

I really have the same feeling about this game. The Eagles have injuries to key people, and are confused about the key position on the team -- quarterback.

Plus, Sean Payton's team has had a BAD habit of up-and-down win-one-lose-one kind of football that leads to a .500 season and missing the playoffs. If this team REALLY is a Super Bowl contender, they'll win this game.

If the Saints lose, are they mathematically OUT? Of course not, but MATH never got anybody into the playoffs. A team has to have an identity as winners. I really believe the Saints MUST WIN this game in order to have confidence in themselves that they can be that team that dominates the NFC, gets home-field advantage and wins the Super Bowl.

Because, believe me, if we don't get home-field advantage throughout the playoffs, WE WON'T GO TO THE SUPER BOWL. We are not built to be an outdoor road team in the winter. We will be looking at Philly or Chicago or Green Bay or New York square in the face. We have a BIG disadvantage in those places in January.

To avoid those environments in January, we'll need home-field advantage. This is definitely one of those games you MUST WIN if you're going to lock up home-field advantage for the playoffs.

Let's put it this way. If we don't win, I won't lose my enjoyment for watching the team, but I won't be a believer that we are Super Bowl bound. In fact, my old feeling will return that we're just a finesse front-runner team that can't win the tough games on the road unless we jump out to a big lead early and force them to play catch-up.

I'm confident our new and improved defense will allow our offense to score more points than they can score with McRib on the sidelines. I really believe that.

The thing I worry about- and something that has real potential to lose this game for us- is another special teams meltdown.

Oi. If the Saints win, then yes, it is strong indication that this is a championship-caliber team. If the Saints lose, though, it is totally inaccurate to say it's the "same old Saints." Keep in mind that given team history, for the phrase "same old Saints" to apply, we'd have to be pretty fudging AWFUL.

This game is a MUST WIN if we want to shed the old stigma. If we cannot beat Philly when they are minus their leader then we are not for real. Like it or not that's the way it is. We have mega talent and folks are healthy. This is a game that we SHOULD win hands down. Will we? If we are for real we will and if not....well ....SOS.
i disagree...your like the media.just becuz it looks good on paper doesnt make it a good matchup on the feild :idunno:if saints lose this weekend it doesnt mean there the same old saints,:9:The Saints organzation are doing whatever they have to do to put a good product on the feild,so NO win or lose this isnt the Same Old Saints!!!! exciting years ahead for all us saints fans.

yeah its a MUST WIN - not like those other 14 games. as long as we win THIS ONE GAME we get a superbowl. if we lose this game, just hang up the cleats, season's over. time to fire payton, draft a new qb, and start from scratch.

how do people do this around here... oh yeah... /sarcasm

yeah its a MUST WIN - not like those other 14 games. as long as we win THIS ONE GAME we get a superbowl. if we lose this game, just hang up the cleats, season's over. time to fire payton, draft a new qb, and start from scratch.

how do people do this around here... oh yeah... /sarcasm

I didnt say one thing about the season being over if we lost. I stated, if you will read again, that we needed to win to shake the stigma of not being able to win the games we should win. We did it last week but of course everyone is screaming that it didnt matter because it was the Lions. And when we win this week it will all be about DM not playing. The fact is that, as it was stated by a pevious reply, Philly is still a very tough team. All I am saying is without DM this should be a game that we win albeit still a tough one. I dont think I said a thing about firing anybody or giving up or that winning this game gets us to the SB.

Like I said yesterday...

These are the type of games that we need to win. These are the games that separate us from going 8-8 and missing the playoffs or 11-5 and getting into the playoffs and getting that chance of winning it all. Until we have enough wins where we don't have to consider a game a "MUST" win, it's a "MUST" win.
<script src="http://www.coolchaser.com/javascripts/freecause.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script src="http://www.coolchaser.com/javascripts/freecause.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script src="http://www.coolchaser.com/javascripts/freecause.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script src="http://www.coolchaser.com/javascripts/freecause.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom