Samsung 50 inch DLP (1 Viewer)

xkeith031x

SR lurker Extraordinaire
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Got it off craigslist... haven't got it home to actually put it through the tests yet but just wondering if any of you have them and how you like them?

It's a few years old... an S5086W model..
But either way, it was 200 bucks and it works so... did i get a deal? all the research is telling me i did but that doesn't make up for real live feedback.

I have a 56inch toshiba DLP that I bought in 2006 that still looks great. I think you got a good deal.

Downsides of DLP are they're bigger, they can have narrower viewing angles, and the lamps can be expensive to replace. The picture is great, though, IMO.

I had a samsung 50 inch DLP for a while, it was a great tv until it started blowing bulbs every 6 months a couple years after I bought it :(

i have the 40" model like yours that someone gave me for free because it was "broken". it was just one of the mirrors that had slipped out of place and was causing a grey bar on the screen. i fixed that and its been running great for ~4 years now.

they have a great picture, just make sure you give it enough room to vent or you will be replacing bulbs and the colorwheel.

I have a 67 inch and still love it. Just beware the white dots when the mirrors in the chip start sticking. It's a $190 part and a pretty easy change if it happens. Google Samsung mirror chip for the information. Plenty of videos on YouTube showing how to replace it. It's not if but when the mirrors will stick.

The great things about this tv is that #1 it has a great picture #2. It's built very modular and there is plenty of information and YouTube videos in how replace parts. Look up the symptoms, go to YouTube and see how to fix it. Order the parts and replace them. You can have this TV for a long time. My last big screen had all the parts on one board and that board was as much as a new set. If the picture isn't perfect, just google the symptoms.

thanks for the replies, guys.
From what I can see, the bulbs are about 50 bucks a pop online.
I'm going into this understanding that there are numerous parts on these tvs that can break. i'm just crossing my fingers that i got a good deal and that they don't break any time soon.

Also, as far as ventilation is concerned-- I'm a stickler for making sure things like that can breathe. I pay alot of attention to how I set my rooms up and things of that nature.

thanks for the replies, guys.
From what I can see, the bulbs are about 50 bucks a pop online.
I'm going into this understanding that there are numerous parts on these tvs that can break. i'm just crossing my fingers that i got a good deal and that they don't break any time soon.

Also, as far as ventilation is concerned-- I'm a stickler for making sure things like that can breathe. I pay alot of attention to how I set my rooms up and things of that nature.

I think you will be very happy with it.

A year ago at an estate sale for $50, I picked up a 42" DLP model that was about 6 years old. We love it. There's some dot matrix patterns on the sides at certain angles and light, but it does the trick for football parties. Our family is known for all watching their own smaller TV's in each of own our own caves. Nobody likes to watch what anyone else in the family watches. Less family togetherness time makes for a happier family in this day and age.

My 1st 16:9 TV was a Sony 42" DLP. I've had it for six years now and it's still putting out a great picture and the bulb is still going strong.

Of course, when the bulb finally does blow out, i'm gonna have to use the "Too expensive" or "No longer available" on the wifey, so I can go ahead and upgrade to a flat panel, since it's the only TV now left in my house that isn't and it's the one with my home theater setup.

I've had a 50" Samsung DLP (not sure of the model number) for about 10 years. I like the picture and what few times it did break it was really easy to work on. Granted, I use it less than 10 hrs a week (more during football season) but I've only changed the bulb 2X.

I have a Panasonic DLP 44" (I know) that I picked up on an online Black Friday sale 8 years ago when plasma was going out and LCD was just coming in. I love it and it has been going strong all this time. No problems with it at all. The viewing angle on mine is unbelievably close to 180 degrees, but I think that is rare with DLP. My Brother-in-law had a Sony one he got at the same time and the viewing angle was horrible.

I have a Panasonic DLP 44" (I know) that I picked up on an online Black Friday sale 8 years ago when plasma was going out and LCD was just coming in. I love it and it has been going strong all this time. No problems with it at all. The viewing angle on mine is unbelievably close to 180 degrees, but I think that is rare with DLP. My Brother-in-law had a Sony one he got at the same time and the viewing angle was horrible.

My samsung DLP has no bad viewig angles. the back of my set is embeddeed into a book case so it looks completely flat. At a superbowl party last year, everyone was complimenting my plasma, even folks that have them. I'd buy another today if mine went out and I could find one at a good price.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom