Samuel expects to return to the Patriots (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
HONOLULU - Asante Samuel said "it's gonna take a lot" to keep him a Patriot.

But the 27-year-old unrestricted free agent cornerback, who has spent his five-year career in New England, added that on a scale of 1 to 10, he'd probably rate his chances of coming back a 10.

"The fans love me and I love them back," he said. "The organization loves me and, hopefully, we can work it out."

Samuel had six interceptions during the regular season and has 22 in his career. He's returned three for touchdowns.

"It's gonna take a lot to make me happy and my family happy," said the first-time Pro Bowler after an AFC practice session at Kapolei High Wednesday. Samuel is one of six Patriots who will play in the all-star game Sunday at Aloha Stadium.

Asked how much he thinks he's worth, Samuel threw the question back at his interviewer: "You take a guess and see if you can hit it. It's no secret I'm looking for a big, huge, blockbuster deal."

Rest of article: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2008/02/08/patriots_samuel_wants_to_stay/

I understand good players deserve good money but this sounds a bit greedy to me.

.........another reason why building threw the draft is the best way to go, paying a guy for what he did for another team isnt always the best way to go, specially when they are only thinking about the might dollar and not winning....to me Samuel is in a great spot, he is on a great team that has continued to win and break records, he could have a career full of accomplishments but instead (like most of these new athletes) they much rather have the title of "highest paid".

as good as he is and alot of these guys, I dont want them on my team if the only selling point is "we can make you the highest paid player at your position"...thats not a team guy, a team guy wouldnt try and make his club break the bank on him when there are other needs on the team...80mill is alot, but so is 50 or 40 or 30million.

you build threw the draft so you keep young players coming in and your able to avoid situations like these, were you dont have a better option behind him and you are forced to pay him...dont get me wrong, if a player performs he deserves to be paid, but if his sole objective is to get a "monster deal"? talent or not....you got 52 other players to think about who are just important.

Lip service to a Boston paper. Do you honestly think the Pats are going to hand Samuel a $80 million contract? He is doing what every smart player does....leaving all his options open. He isn't burning bridges or calling the Pats FO out. But unless he's willing to settle for far less then what Clements got he won't be a Patriot next year. The Patriots have had players take less in the past but I doubt the Pats could control their locker room if Samuel got deal that far surpassed Brady's.

No, Nate Clements made Trufant's value go sky high. That is the deal all these corners will be looking to surpass.

Nate Clements' deal is pure window dressing. The final 2 years are worth $26 million and the final year ($15.48 million) is a void year. He'll re-structure or be cut way before that.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2298

Signed an eight-year, $80 million contract. The deal contains $22.6 million in guarantees. With a void year in 2014, it is essentially for seven seasons and $64.02 million. 2008: $3,383,334 (+ $10 million roster bonus), 2009: $3,516,666, 2010: $6 million, 2011: $7.25 million, 2012: $9 million, 2013: $10.77 million, 2014: $15.48 million, 2015: Free Agent

The title of that article seems like a reach imo. Samuel just said that he likes New England and New England likes him. But he also more or less said that he's going to follow the money, which will likely be greater outside of Boston.

I didn't really want Samuel he is overrated because of the team that he plays on. But it is true that Trufant's value will now sky rocket to the 80 million dollar level.

I think that Saints will have to look at a 2nd tier player at CB and hope that David and Young improve.

If y'all thought you were mad at JD... just watch an 80 million dollar CB getting toasted... after paying him all that money and not using that money by addressing the front 7...

I remember last year he said he was insulted by the amount he was offered by the Patriots. They have to pay Moss, Brady's not letting him go anywhere, so they aren't going to have enough money to pay him too. He's not staying in New England unless he swallows his pride and a lot of money.

If y'all thought you were mad at JD... just watch an 80 million dollar CB getting toasted... after paying him all that money and not using that money by addressing the front 7...

Ya know!!...that money could be all put into that front seven, the DB's are not the most important piece to a defense, its the big guys upfront, and the smaller big guys behind them!

Lip service to a Boston paper. Do you honestly think the Pats are going to hand Samuel a $80 million contract? He is doing what every smart player does....leaving all his options open. He isn't burning bridges or calling the Pats FO out. But unless he's willing to settle for far less then what Clements got he won't be a Patriot next year. The Patriots have had players take less in the past but I doubt the Pats could control their locker room if Samuel got deal that far surpassed Brady's.

This is the truh...the Pats aren't going to pay him big money

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom