San Diego Drew Brees (1 Viewer)

Marty was one of the Hosts on Sirius the other day when a caller that was a Charger fan called and asked him about letting Drew go. Marty said that he was NEVER consulted about letting Drew go and that he wanted to keep him. I wonder if this was the begging of all that friction between A.J. Smith and Schottenheimer.

That is really weird to me. How can the GM make a move regarding the QB(easily the most important position) without consulting the head coach. That is unheard of.

That is really weird to me. How can the GM make a move regarding the QB(easily the most important position) without consulting the head coach. That is unheard of.

Well...A.J. Smith is pretty much the epitome of d-bag.

...in an interview he talked about how he was disapointed in not breaking marinos record instead of talking about how he was disapointed in not going to the playoffs. This guy is all about himself not winning games and that will stop them in the long run.

:spit:

We have a great QB and so does SD. You all know that chemistry is important and the systems are different. I really like Rivers, he's a great QB in a system and with a team that allows him to flourish. Brees is the man and nobody could run this offense as well as him. I all worked out perfect. We will get another shot to play SD, but they are AFC, maybe this year.
mb

IMO, Xenos is inaccurate about a couple of things in his post, but I'll just address the last one: Brees never said that SD wouldn't be winners without him as I recall. On the contrary, I believe he knew the type of season they were poised to have in 06, and I believe the quote was more along the lines of him saying that he couldn't help them get to the SB if he wasn't there.

After you have read the current thread on him at the SD forum, you will see the same people saying the same things they always said, even though they have been clearly disproved by Brees' time here. They have to, I guess, otherwise the idea that their team let go a future HOF QB will make their heads explode. :)

Looking back the events that Brees landed in NO:

05 April: SD franchised Brees, which meant after 05 they had to sign him or let him walk.

05 Dec: Playing a meaningless game in the meaningless last quarter, going for a fumble and hurt his arm BAD. About the same time, Culpepper hurt his knee BAD.

06 Feb: SD offered a waterdown contract with little upfront but a lot of performance-based incentives which only meant they had no confidence about his recovery.

06 March/April: Brees went for greener pastures. Only the Dolphins and Saints showed interest.

06 April: Brees talked with the Saints first then went to the Dolphins with serious discussion. They couldn't come up with the money like the Saints offered. They also thought Benson was senile anyway. Plus Culpepper was other available option. So a monumental decision affecting both clubs years to come had made. In a few hours later, Brees became a Saints.

06 summer: Brees indeed recovered and became even better than before. He fitted in the Saints like duck in water.

All I have to say is by quoting General Robert E. Lee: "It is God's will."

P.S. Thanks saintfan, I corrected the post.

Last edited:
06 April: Brees talked with Dolphins first. They couldn't come up with the money like the Saints offered. They also thought Benson was senile anyway. Plus Culpepper was other available option. So a monumental decision affecting both clubs years to come had made. In a few hours later, Brees became a Saints.

If I remember correctly, and I could be wrong, Brees did copme to the Saints first, then went to Miami. Talk then was Brees would sign with Miami as the area and team offered more amenities than New Orleans could offer. Of course Miami opted for Culpepper and Brees came here.

I believe that the Payton/Brees team was a perfect fit for Brees. I'm not sure if Brees would have been as successful with another team because of the confidence Payton has in him and the teamwork they clearly display.

Don't get me wrong, Brees would have been successul in Miami or in any other system, but I believe he is maximizing his potential here.

It doesn't matter. San Diego didn't have to patience to wait for him to come into his own. Now he is in his prime and he is about to set fourth a HOF Breesus run! Rivers is good, I give them that, but I ever ran into to someone that said Rivers is better, Id slap the taste out theyre mouth!

The other knock on him that I could think of was that he only seemed to shine when there was something to prove. When Rivers was drafted in 2004, he had his best season in San Diego. But then 2005 came and he regressed slightly. We used to be afraid of when the "old" Drew would show up with his turnovers and 2005 had some examples of those fears. In the end, I just think it's the odd years that he has trouble with (2003, 2005, 2007). So far he seems to be bucking the trend in 2009.

This was so ridiculously blown out of proportion and existed only on message boards. IT's like saying, "I had just my best round of golf ever, and it was a Wednesday, so I play my best golf on Wednesdays."

I do believe that he entered the 2004 season with a "nothing to lose" mentality. ANnd in some way, he discovered a groove he had been searching for, and the game slowed down for him (not unlike other QBs who ultimately have to go through this.)

Rivers has no where near the class and maturity as Brees. Did you see the unsportsman conduct penalty he got in the last game? What a brat.

I've always got the impression from Charger fans and the Charger's radio shows that they highly respect Drew. I would even say that they root for him. Drew hadn't quite figured the NFL game before Rivers was drafted. To say they didn't think that Drew had the talent is wacko. How else would he have kept the highly paid rookie on the bench? It just so happened that Drew had a contract expire and an injury for the Chargers to part ways. And why would San Diego open the bank for two QBs? It was a smart decision for them. San Diego misses Drew a lot still, and I hear more radio interviews from him than any other non-Charger.

I suppose the other thing that some fans were upset with was his parting shot saying that SD wouldn't be a winner without him as QB. I suppose that was more frustration over having to join another team then anything else.

Really? I read every printed word through all of that time and do not remember this statement.

I do remember him saying that felt the Chargers offense had built something special over the past few years - he felt they were on the brink of championship - and that replacing a component like the QB would be difficult (he wasn't wrong). But he has always said that Philip Rivers was a very good QB, and that he thought he would be successful.

I definitely remember the message boards haters hearing what they wanted to hear, taking things completely out of context, and unfairly lambasting him. There was a lot of pro Rivers people who had to prop up their boy some way, because Brees's play was preventing Rivers from seeing the field. It had grown into a lynch mob mentality, but not representative of Charger nation as a whole, IMO.

Even today, you come across a Brees vs. Rivers thread from t ime to time. Most are happy for Brees and totally behind Rivers at the same time, because he has taken ownership of that team.

Is it my imagination, or were there stories of Drew not having the work ethic, character, and values that we all know him to have? I find it hard to believe that anyone could have believed yet alone written anything like this about the guy. Sometime around when there was talk of Philip Rivers replacing him or something there was this kind of talk about Drew. Anyway, if anybody remembers what i'm talking about.
On a separate note, reading the article about how bad Drew wants a Ring, it makes me think of the slackers on the team that just don't seem to absorb the reality that this might just be the year, IF they all pull together and do their parts. If there are those kind of people on the team, i imagine it would drive someone like Drew, Vilma, Stinchcomb, Payton, and others mad. Just think, this could be the time, but because a few are self absorbed, they don't understand that this could be the time we've all been waiting for, it's here...
Then again, the DC could just be waiting for the right time to unleash the beast that is the revamped Saints D! I don't post much, just lurk, just thinking out loud...feel like i can do that on here with guys who think the same

Scott

Actually this is true. He came out of College a fat, lazy frat dude. He would sit on the couch and get ripped while watching I Love Lucy Reruns and eating cheese sandwiches. It wasn't until he came to N.O. that he really started trying. Our city tends to do that for athletes.

So much bitterness.

Here are some gems...

"Brees is a stand-up guy, and a great, exciting quarterback. I still enjoy watching him play, but feel Rivers is on the same level, and, more importantly, has the "it" factor it takes to get this team over the hump and win a championship in the present and future."

"... he was playing the lions, the LIONS.
Brees is all about stats, in an interview he talked about how he was disapointed in not breaking marinos record instead of talking about how he was disapointed in not going to the playoffs. This guy is all about himself not winning games and that will stop them in the long run."

"Brees is a choker, always has been."

"Brees wouldnt do whatever he did with the saints with us because we actually have a running game and were a run first team. LT is not gonna be satisfied getting 15 or less carries a game..."

"when rivers played detroit we won 51-14. brees won 45-27. there's your ****ing what if haha"

"Jeez! What if?.....What if?....What if he choked again under pressure like he has a million time before. The dude is all garbage time stats. I like the guy and all, but I've seen Brees fold more times than the lawn chair I carry down to PB."

"a 5000 yard season with a gazillion attempts with the same amount of TD passes as Rivers...I think I'll take Rivers efficiency over lotsa yards. Brees is a really good QB though."

"Brees is great but he doesn't have that "it" factor"

"I don't want to hear it...it's done, Rivers is more accurate too and will win a superbowl!"

I really liked this one because he takes a swipe at our D while plugging the Chargers horrible defense.

All I could think about is:
1.) No way in hell our defense would allow the Lions with a rookie QB to put up 27 points.

2.) Rivers would not have thrown 6, he would have thrown 4 and then you'd see Volek handing off to Michael Bennett for the rest of the game.

Grats Brees on having a lot of options to go to and condolences for having an okay defense.

Go Bolts!

Obviously this was before the Rivers sucked on Monday night and the Raiders scored a lot on what looked to be a pretty terrible defense.

These guys are funny if not hopelessly bitter and in denial.

Here's another "prediction" before the Raiders nearly beat them.

Exactly, If we got to play the Lions, Rivers and LT would be racking up Yards and TD's too. As bad as everyone thinks of our Division, Lions wouldn't have a chance against any of us in da West. C'mon now, Both Peterson and Turner racked up around 200yds against da Lions last season in a game.

Yeah you are right. You did get to play the Raiders though, who are just as bad and you were almost beat.

I'll end with this one...

it was against the LIONS....Jamarcus Russell could of thrown 6 tds against them.

If brees does that against a good team then let me know.

all I know is that when brees was with the chargers , he kept throwing the football into the back of his o linemans head because he's so short. of course he's improved since then.

Yes, because Drew has only played one great game in his career, and that was against the Lions on Sunday. Silly us.

SD fans can enjoy the Chargers in the luxary of their cars via radio thx to the blackouts. Don't leave the car running too long in the garage when you start losing and LT keeps crumbling, fellas.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom