San Diego Drew Brees (1 Viewer)

sportsaint

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Is it my imagination, or were there stories of Drew not having the work ethic, character, and values that we all know him to have? I find it hard to believe that anyone could have believed yet alone written anything like this about the guy. Sometime around when there was talk of Philip Rivers replacing him or something there was this kind of talk about Drew. Anyway, if anybody remembers what i'm talking about.
On a separate note, reading the article about how bad Drew wants a Ring, it makes me think of the slackers on the team that just don't seem to absorb the reality that this might just be the year, IF they all pull together and do their parts. If there are those kind of people on the team, i imagine it would drive someone like Drew, Vilma, Stinchcomb, Payton, and others mad. Just think, this could be the time, but because a few are self absorbed, they don't understand that this could be the time we've all been waiting for, it's here...
Then again, the DC could just be waiting for the right time to unleash the beast that is the revamped Saints D! I don't post much, just lurk, just thinking out loud...feel like i can do that on here with guys who think the same

Scott

Is it my imagination, or were there stories of Drew not having the work ethic, character, and values that we all know him to have? I find it hard to believe that anyone could have believed yet alone written anything like this about the guy. Sometime around when there was talk of Philip Rivers replacing him or something there was this kind of talk about Drew. Anyway, if anybody remembers what i'm talking about.
On a separate note, reading the article about how bad Drew wants a Ring, it makes me think of the slackers on the team that just don't seem to absorb the reality that this might just be the year, IF they all pull together and do their parts. If there are those kind of people on the team, i imagine it would drive someone like Drew, Vilma, Stinchcomb, Payton, and others mad. Just think, this could be the time, but because a few are self absorbed, they don't understand that this could be the time we've all been waiting for, it's here...
Then again, the DC could just be waiting for the right time to unleash the beast that is the revamped Saints D! I don't post much, just lurk, just thinking out loud...feel like i can do that on here with guys who think the same

Scott

There were no stories like that. Don't know where that might have come from. Even in SD, he was very well-respected. Lots of people hated to see him go. He and LT were supposed to go to the SuperBowl together.

There were a few online fans who made fun of Drew's size and mole. But, they were small.

Scott
It's not that he didn't he have a good work ethic or character, it's just that he had a lot of limitations when he first started. The main complaint was that his arm was too weak to make all the throws. And it was very weak. Those comeback routes were horrible to watch because the ball took so long to get there. And he never could hit a receiver in stride on the deep ball. Plus he had turnover problems.

The other knock on him that I could think of was that he only seemed to shine when there was something to prove. When Rivers was drafted in 2004, he had his best season in San Diego. But then 2005 came and he regressed slightly. We used to be afraid of when the "old" Drew would show up with his turnovers and 2005 had some examples of those fears. In the end, I just think it's the odd years that he has trouble with (2003, 2005, 2007). So far he seems to be bucking the trend in 2009.

I suppose the other thing that some fans were upset with was his parting shot saying that SD wouldn't be a winner without him as QB. I suppose that was more frustration over having to join another team then anything else.

I've followed Drew a long time. He was always known as a fierce competitor, strong work ethic, stand-up guy.

There was some ugliness in SD when he wouldn't take the "offer" that SD gave him after the injury (which was basically back up QB pay, with zero signing bonus, but had a bonus tied to % snaps taken). I honestly don't think they made any actual offer, though, just some preliminary discussions.

Some said that he didn't have the "it" factor to lead a team, and there was a lot of talk of him being "too short" with guys stating they knew for a fact he would never be able to see over the O-line enough to use his WR (well, he threw a lot to LT and Gates, so that had to be the reason, right? :) ) They had him pegged as nothing special, a good game manager, but too physically limited to ever amount to anything, with the implication being that AJ saw him this way as well.

What a bunch of maroons, I'm happy to say. :hihi:

just remember the whole eli situation then san diego ended up with rivers,they let drew go,as i remember drew was good as a charger,not great,he is great as a saint,i wouldnt trade drew for anyone not brady nor peyton,drew is our leader drew is our heartbeat,drew deserves a ring here

Just checked the stats from last year: Saints 37 - Chargers 32

Drew Brees:
30/41 - 339 Yards - 3 TD - 0 INT

Philip Rivers:
25/40 - 341 Yards - 3 TD - 1 INT

Isn't the Chargers Defense supposed to be better than ours? Yet Drew Brees puts up better numbers against their Defense with no Run Game......

That's annoying, and ignorant, to write Drew Brees off as just a "Stats Guy".... You're seriously knocking on a guy for putting up GREAT Stats? How about if he had a respectable Defense, those stats would easily be enough to win a Super Bowl.

The Chargers pass defense last year was poo poo

I think drew didn't mesh really well with the coach at the time. Marty Schottenheimer. He was an extremely conservative play caller with very little creativity. I think his system made it really easy to blame Drew if the offense wasn't scoring enough points and when they traded for rivers, Brees developed a huge chip on his shoulder and the rest is history.

lol, yeah I'm not sure Marty's penchant for minimum-risk offense meshed with Drew's potential anyway. Oh well, he was more than welcome in New Orleans anyhow.

I think drew didn't mesh really well with the coach at the time. Marty Schottenheimer. He was an extremely conservative play caller with very little creativity. I think his system made it really easy to blame Drew if the offense wasn't scoring enough points and when they traded for rivers, Brees developed a huge chip on his shoulder and the rest is history.

Marty was one of the Hosts on Sirius the other day when a caller that was a Charger fan called and asked him about letting Drew go. Marty said that he was NEVER consulted about letting Drew go and that he wanted to keep him. I wonder if this was the begging of all that friction between A.J. Smith and Schottenheimer.

Meh! It all worked out well for everybody. SD got Rivers, who is a fine quaterback. And we got Brees . . . who is about as close to the Second Coming as you can get without Jesus making an appearance. He is Mr. Saint and we should enjoy these days that he is our QB.

Marty was one of the Hosts on Sirius the other day when a caller that was a Charger fan called and asked him about letting Drew go. Marty said that he was NEVER consulted about letting Drew go and that he wanted to keep him. I wonder if this was the begging of all that friction between A.J. Smith and Schottenheimer.

Yeah IIRC, Marty was in Drew's corner.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom