San Diego to Ban Wal-Mart Supercenters (1 Viewer)

I'd like to see what US Supreme Court says. It's the 10% part I have a problem with. From this law, a huge Lowes, huge Home Depot, huge Target, huge disgusting auto dealership, huge strip mall are all ok, but not ok is Walmart simply because their business model includes selling groceries. Since when is selling groceries so bad? So, they could knock down a zillion trees and make a disgusting autorama strip center if they wanted, just as long as no Walmart is there. However, even if Walmart agreed to expensive landscaping, an architecurally attractive facade and a multilevel parking lot, it would still be illegal for them to do business. Why? Simply because it is Walmart, really. It just shows that their primary goal is not consistent with traditional zoning restrictions to protect neighborhoods, but to single out and destroy Walmart.

Don't sweat it Jim. The isolationist/protectionists will last no longer than those who refused to acknowledge the automobile or the cell phone. I wonder how long these people were pining for the buggy whip and beeper industries to return to their former glory. Eventually progress overtakes the past.

I agree from a historical perspective, Mom and Pop retailing was a very important aspect of the the US economy. However, from an economic perspective, it's clear the overwhelming majority of Americans are not supporting and subsidizing an inefficient distribution and merchandising model.

I think you bring up an excellent point...probably the best one in the thread.

Personally speaking, I despise going to Wal-Mart and I'm sure many others do as well. But those that say that Wal-Mart is "destroying" mom and pop stores are being somewhat disingenious.

We are the ones destroying those stores. Last I checked, nobody forces anybody to shop at Wal-Mart and accept their (lower) prices and I'm not aware of any lawsuit implying that they are sending subliminal commands through the television so I am left with the conclusion that the consumer is making these choices to shop at a certain location versus an alternate one.

So while the posters are correct that imply we don't have as pure of a free market system as the economics texts would have you believe, this attempt by local governments to essentially discriminate against a specific company, as opposed to a specific industry is pretty unheard of as well (at least without having public safety as the main reasoning).

What happened to letting the people decide?

Last edited:
Again, regarding why it should be unconstitutional. Wonder why they just don't pass a law saying Walmart can't do business in San Diego? Because they can't. Obviously, if they could, they would. Everyone accepts the premise the law is keep to Walmart out, because that isn't even a debate. So, why are they having to write some cutesy way of saying no Walmart can be in San Diego if it was ok for them to just say that? They know the law is nothing but a sham designed to keep Walmart out but they have to pretend it's something else to be legal. We wouldn't want Walmart to get in the way of such a moral group of leaders.

I don't shop at Wal Mart, haven't for 10 years. I don't shop there because of their constant fight to not pay living, or at least a decent wage, they do not provide insurance to their employees and their huge hypocritical all American image when they are China's number 4 trading partner. If Wal Mart decided to pay a living wage, and use its giant ability to purchase health coverage for its employees, then I may think differently.

As far as zoning laws being put in to stop one particular business, try to open a strip club or adult bookstore. You may find that your zoning laws become pretty unique to you.

I have banned Walmart from opening a store in my living room. If Popeyes wants to open a store here, I will think about it.

I have banned Walmart from opening a store in my living room. If Popeyes wants to open a store here, I will think about it.

If you have wireless Internet access in your living room, you're ban is too late. Their store is already in your Living room; however you don't have to shop them.
For the second year in a row, Walmart.com (www.walmart.com) has assumed the number one position in the Hitwise Online Retail 100 index for Thanksgiving Day with 18.26 percent market share of visits to the 100 websites in the index.
Hitwise U.S. Retail 100 Index Top 15 Websites

Hitwise U.S. Retail 100 Index Top 15 Websites
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Rank By Market Share of Visits for Daily Data November 23, 2006
Rank Name Domain Market Share Last Week Rank
1 Walmart www.walmart.com 18.26% 1
2 BestBuy www.bestbuy.com 8.75% 4
3 Amazon www.amazon.com 8.36% 2
4 CircuitCity www.circuitcity.com 6.98% 5
5 Target www.target.com 6.06% 3
6 Sears www.sears.com 2.78% 8
7 TOYS 'R' US - USA www.toysrus.com 2.66% 7
8 Overstock.com www.overstock.com 2.12% 6
9 Kmart www.kmart.com 1.80% 12
10 JC Penney www.jcpenney.com 1.78% 9
11 Kohls www.kohls.com 1.77% 14
12 BizRate www.bizrate.com 1.42% 11
13 Hallmark.com www.hallmark.com 1.41% 10
14 The Home Depot www.homedepot.com 1.25% 21
15 Macy*s www.macys.com 1.13% 16

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/061127/20061127005791.html?.v=1

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom