San Diego to Ban Wal-Mart Supercenters (1 Viewer)

>>La Jolla - not good.

But that's California for you. I'm thinking that's La Hoya or something rather than lajolah sounding. :shrug:

TPS

Exactamundo. Home of UCSD and Del Mar race track.
I think they also have a law where grocery stores can't sell alcohol.
It's pretty freakin elitist.

I stand corrected.... La Jolla has a Taco Bell and a Panda Express.

I remember those laws from the 80s when my exgf's sister went to college there.

If I am Wal-Mart I open several 90k square foot stores around the area and sell things at actual cost until San Diego changes their mind. What would taking a loss at a couple half size stores be compared to losing one of the heaviest populated areas in the country and possibly starting a trend against Wal Mart?

Yeah, free enterprise is overrated...

But its hardly "free enterprise," when Wal Mart moves into a town and drives every other small business out--then the only choice in town is Wal-Mart; which is what has happened in many small towns.

Doesn't sound like free enterprise and competition to me when one of the few places to shop in town is Wal-Mart.

Yep. I don't think it's the place of government to restrict business unless there is a safety concern for the general public or monopolistic or anti-trust concerns that kill competition. WalMart doesn't fit either of those categories. .

A lot of people feel WalMart does fit both categories.
And I also think local governments have the right to restrict business for quality of life concerns. I mean the government is the people and if a neighborhood of people do not want a business in the area why should they lose and the business win?

But its hardly "free enterprise," when Wal Mart moves into a town and drives every other small business out--then the only choice in town is Wal-Mart; which is what has happened in many small towns.

Doesn't sound like free enterprise and competition to me when one of the few places to shop in town is Wal-Mart.

As long as they aren't breaking the law, there is nothing wrong with it. If San Diego thinks that Walmart is engaging in unfair practices that hurt local businesses, there are anti-trust statutes that provide protection from those illegal activities. If Walmart just happens to provide a superior product at a competitive rate and no one else can, and as a result those other business can't compete, then that is the other businesses' fault.

To me, this is a bunch of local businesses using their stroke with local politicians to create an environment that is unfair to business that they compete with. They are the ones seeking to prevent competition and choice, not Walmart.

You sir are correct but last time I checked San Diego County is one of the most populated counties in the country.

why is WalMart not entitled to enter into competition with the current stores there? Here it is...if your product is good and adequately priced, you will succeed. WalMart isnt the cheapest on ALOT of thier products. You just have to do your homework. Certain items we purchase from them ( household cleaning stuff and supplies) no grocerires though.

The major grocery stores did it to themselves in thinking that most people will buy it since they are lazy to go anywhere else, so they price it higher on those items. I aint buying Windex from Sav a Center for $3.99 when the same bottle at Walmart is $2.29.

That's EXACTLY what free enterprise is. What you are suggesting is that you believe in free enterprise until someone figures out a way to sell that is superior, and then you want to shut them out. If K-Mart can't compete, then K-Mart should go under. Same with every mom and pop five and dime across the country.

The same thing has happened in oil exploration, shipping, logging, etc. The big guys have eaten the little guys. Now it's retail's turn. Retail is more visible so it breaks more hearts to see it happen, but it's gonna happen.

A lot of people feel WalMart does fit both categories.
And I also think local governments have the right to restrict business for quality of life concerns. I mean the government is the people and if a neighborhood of people do not want a business in the area why should they lose and the business win?

They can accomplish that by not shopping there. If they shop there they must want it right?

The same thing has happened in oil exploration, shipping, logging, etc. The big guys have eaten the little guys. Now it's retail's turn. Retail is more visible so it breaks more hearts to see it happen, but it's gonna happen.

Exactly. I went to Galveston this summer and found Valero ( refinery company ) also has a chain of gas/conveniece stations. Horizontal intergration. Mcdonalds is the grandfather of this concept. It happens all the time. Wait til Walmart purchases farms to grow thier own vegatables, greens etc. It cuts costs and allows them to bring it to the consumer at a lower cost. If you are a competitor of Walmart produce, now is the time to forge a plan to combat that eventual evolution.

Exactly. I went to Galveston this summer and found Valero ( refinery company ) also has a chain of gas/conveniece stations. Horizontal intergration. Mcdonalds is the grandfather of this concept. It happens all the time. Wait til Walmart purchases farms to grow thier own vegatables, greens etc. It cuts costs and allows them to bring it to the consumer at a lower cost. If you are a competitor of Walmart produce, now is the time to forge a plan to combat that eventual evolution.

Technically, that's "vertical integration" but I get your point. ;)

horizontal, vertical... they are all cousins....:)

It's happened in the past, because governments have allowed it to happen. Horizontal and vertical integration, at least in the late 19th century with big oil and steel was hardly conducive for competition or workers.

Unfettered, unregulated capitalism tends to become actually anti-competitive. I'm not arguing that Wal-Mart is a monopoly, but when it's so big it's able to slash prices and drive every other small business under, and a town or county has only Wal-Mart to choose from, it's hardly in the spirit of capitalism and free enterprise.

The problem with Wal-Mart and the big oil companies is that the more competition they subsume, the less competition they'll be, and the more power they'll have over prices, supply, etc.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom