San Fran will try to make the Saints one dimensional (1 Viewer)

longtime lurker

Buddy D lives FOREVER!
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Somehow I don't see how that helps them when we are the #1 ranked passing offense. I would think their strategy would be rather to create turnovers which have killed us in all four losses.

Somehow I don't see how that helps them when we are the #1 ranked passing offense. I would think their strategy would be rather to create turnovers which have killed us in all four losses.

Absolutely agree 100%. To stack the run against us and invite Brees to carve them up with the passing game seems like a recipe for a blowout on our side.

Absolutely agree 100%. To stack the run against us and invite Brees to carve them up with the passing game seems like a recipe for a blowout on our side.

Especially since they are about 25th against the pass allowing 221.5 ypg. They are almost as bad as Atlanta. It should be another good day for the fleur de lis!

That stragety makes no sense what-so-ever. I would love to see it though. Brees could have a huge day if that is all they focous on.

Especially since they are about 25th against the pass allowing 221.5 ypg. They are almost as bad as Atlanta. It should be another good day for the fleur de lis!

Well maybe we can help that passing per game average allowed bumped up a bit? Maybe 20 pts or so? A 450 yard day should be sufficient..

This may sound crazy, but i don't disagree with their strategy. I think that they know that their only chance to slow us down is if Drew can have a bad day. It happens to every QB, even Peyton, so why not Brees. Can he keep this blistering pace? If they are successfull in stopping the run and Brees struggles, they will have a chance. If they were to guard against the pass and rush 4 with only 1 or 2 LB's, Bush and Deuce would have a field day.

The way the Saints can counter this is throwing on running downs and running on throwing downs. The 49ers will try to get us in third and long, so that they can get extra DB's in on obvious throwing downs. If we throw on first and second down with success, the Niners will have a really long day.

That's the formula for beating any team in the NFL. The problem is that the "formula" calls for you to stop the run pretty strictly with your front seven, and to pressure the passer without having to blitz. It's called "whipping the other team at the LOS," and obviously a lot more easily said than done. If you've got to do a lot of run blitzing and bringing the safety into the box against a team that's allowing only one sack per game, recent history indicates you'd better plan on scoring at least four touchdowns to beat us, and that would be a mighty big day for these guys.

I wouldn't put too much stock in it. If we just play our game, we'll be all right.

Good luck with that 49ers.

Saints 45
49ers 14

What's the word on Colston?

read he was questionable, still favoring the bad ankle and didnt practice but did work out some with the team.

thoug is sounds like wed. practice was missed by several player and that the thur. practice is the one you need to participate in to play - not sure about practicing on friday's only (if they do practice on friday)

w. smith, horn, colston, sim. did not practice

That's the formula for beating any team in the NFL. The problem is that the "formula" calls for you to stop the run pretty strictly with your front seven, and to pressure the passer without having to blitz. It's called "whipping the other team at the LOS," and obviously a lot more easily said than done. If you've got to do a lot of run blitzing and bringing the safety into the box against a team that's allowing only one sack per game, recent history indicates you'd better plan on scoring at least four touchdowns to beat us, and that would be a mighty big day for these guys.

I wouldn't put too much stock in it. If we just play our game, we'll be all right.

Word! Play our game, and nobody can beat us, least of all San Fran.

1. Like Saint J said, stopping the run and making a team pass is pretty much the strategy for all NFL teams. More things can go wrong in the passing game. If you let a team run on you they will score and run clock on you.

2. If it was really a super secret strategy, revealing it on Wednesday probably wouldnt be what a rocket scientist would do.

3. Even money says its a weak ploy to disguise their real game plan which is to devote a bit more attention to the passing game and not have their safeties get too close to the line. A great strength of this saints offense is that we have Deuce and Bush to run if teams try to protect against the pass. its help make the passing game so strong, many teams have stacked the line and paid the price.

So they want to put us in passing situations? The #1 ranked passing offense? You wanna make em pass the ball when your pass D is horrible?

Ok, there are more variables for mistake in the pass, but at the rate we're going, that's one heck of a gamble. If they do try to stop our pass, pound, pound, pound away. The more we run, the more we control the ball and clock. Fine by me. Try and stop us.

Another thing. How do you stop this passing attack when there are SO many weapons to give the ball to? Put in that nickle D or even 6 DB's. "You better, run all day and run all night.........."

This is what Tampa Bay tried to do in their second game against us. It didn't work very well for them, and it's a risky strategy when your going up against the hottest passer in the league.

Brees has set a record for pass yardage over a 5 game stretch, and the 9ers are saying, "Let's make them beat us with the pass."

Either it's a cover for what they really want to do or it's a bad strategy for right now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom