Sanchez apologizes to Saints' Vilma for hit (1 Viewer)

kfran

TwoDat! Let's Do It Again
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
During Darren Sharper's 99-yard interception return for a touchdown in the second quarter Sunday, Sanchez dived at the legs of Vilma, who was blocking on the play. Sanchez was assessed a 15-yard personal foul penalty for the hit.

Vilma took exception to the block, saying after the game the league should fine Sanchez. The league offices don't confirm fines until Friday.

"Yeah, I got a little fine for that," Sanchez said.

Sanchez said he called Vilma on Tuesday and apologized.

"I'm running down the field and I'm upset after the pick, and I said, 'Hey, dude, I don't know what I was doing,"' Sanchez said. "I was just trying to create a pile, just push somebody into a boundary because I don't want to be the guy on film who's quitting on the play. At the same time, I don't want to take the guy on head-on and get in trouble for putting myself in danger.

"I just told him I've got to be smarter than that."

Sanchez said the former Jets linebacker told him, "No problem at all. I understand. Good luck."
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/jets/2009-10-07-mark-sanchez-jonathan-vilma_N.htm?csp=34

Sanchez-beat-down.gif

I like to think that Vilma said nothing then forcefully asked "How'd you get this phone number?"

I'll bet some of Sanchez's teammates are still friends with Vilma and that they let Sanchez know that when careers are on the line, some standards must be observed.

And I'm pretty sure our Linebacker was willing to be magnanimous under the circumstances. Vilma strikes me as a real class act.

I do give Sanchez credit and respect for picking up the phone and apologizing. He's young and that says a lot, when most kids his age would just blow it off or say something through the media. He's gonna be a good QB someday and actions like this show he is ready to stand up for his actions and take responsibility.

BUT...in no way do I think the hit he put on Vilma was acceptable and agree with the fine. I also think Vilma had every right to be as upset as he was. Stuff like that can EASILY ruin player's season and career.

Okay, apologizing was the right thing to do, and he deserves credit for that, but his explanation?

I didn't want to be the one not doing anything, but then again, I didn't want to be the one doing something that might hurt me, so I did something that might hurt somebody else.

You might save your rep, Sanchez, but another one of these, and you could get tagged as way, way dirty.

If I was a Jets fan I would also be worried about why he threw an INT while ducking a hit on his final play of the day. You don't see Peyton, Eli, Brees, Brady, etc ducking hits. The only guys you see ducking hits are the guys out of the league pretty quick... the guys that teams end up with zero confidence in.

Didn't I see a picture of Sanchez in the white pants calling Sharper?

I do give Sanchez credit and respect for picking up the phone and apologizing. He's young and that says a lot, when most kids his age would just blow it off or say something through the media. He's gonna be a good QB someday and actions like this show he is ready to stand up for his actions and take responsibility.

BUT...in no way do I think the hit he put on Vilma was acceptable and agree with the fine. I also think Vilma had every right to be as upset as he was. Stuff like that can EASILY ruin player's season and career.

Let's be clear about it though. A quarterback is most vulnerable

1) When he gets hit from his blindside
2) Running past the LOS
and
3) On an interception runback.

On an interception a quarterback is a defender, no longer a "quarterback". You make a habit of putting dangerous hits on defenders on your own INTs, and defenders will start looking to "put you out of the play" on future interceptions.

If Sanchez wants to stay in the league, he better be sorry.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom