Sanchez apologizes to Saints' Vilma for hit (1 Viewer)

Personally, I didn't like the hit but I'm happy he picked up the phone to apologize. Not bad for a young kid. I think he'll end up being a pretty solid QB. Keep in mind he left school early and had very few starts coming in to this league.

The only person who has any real responsibility to accept or forgive Sanchez's below the belt/towards his knees blow would be Johnathan Vilma. What we say on this board is secondary, even though I'm sure many of us may wonder how really sincere this apology is.

I say that because despite Vilma saying that he understood Sanchez's explanation and apology, in the back of his mind he probably knew the only reason why he's even apologizing is that some of his former Jets teammates made it clear to him that their are some unwritten rules/guidelines you do not cross in the NFL brotherhood. Being a Saints player is more then just having a good amount of catches, score X-Y amount of TD's, or throw for 3,500-4000 yards. And it's more then just a job either. It's a band of brothers who work, train, practice, grow common bonds, and have this idea of community. The New Orleans Saints are a band of brothers, just as probably all of the other 31 NFL teams are. There are written rules that are followed dictated by HC's and his assistants, but their are also intangible universal principles which are unwritten and are expressed by solidarity and appreciation.

If you violate any of these ideals, it's a principle that's pretty irreconcilable once it's been done and you show an initial ambivalent attitude towards.

After 9/11, the NY Giants, led by Micheal Strahan, Kerry Collins, and Tiki Barber, told the NFL they would not play that Sunday as a show of respect and mourning for the victims of the WTC attacks. There practice facility was used as an identification station by the state of New York and the NYPD as a means of bringing in dead bodies from the rubble, so that they could be identified by family members later on. This threat led to other teams to taking on and the NFL faced a near-player's revolt, which led to a meeting in NYC between with all of the chaos going on where Taglibue, Upshaw, most of the NFL owners agreed to suspend the upcoming Week 2 of the 2001 NFL regular-season schedule, to meet the players demands and avoid a potentially dmamaging revolt, whcih came very close to happening. Sean Payton was the OC that year for the Giants up until 2002, so there is a connection with our current HC and 9/11. Now what Sean Payton may have seen during 9/11 in his time up there as an OC, I have no idea, but he was there and he did see that near revolt almost happen.

And as far as Sanchez's apology goes, he more then likely was sincere, but he has a lot to learn as his career goes forward. Since he was a rookie QB, his teammates may have taken that into account and let him see this as a learning tool, but he'd better not wait 2 days the next time if this ever comes up again, because somebody like Ray Lewis, Terrell Suggs, Patrick Willis, or Ed Reed might not be as forgiving as Vilma was this time around.

Sanchez-beat-down.gif

:spit::plus-un2:

I'm glad that he made the call and apologized.

Everyone needs to get over it and quit acting like jilted lovers.

Vilma has moved on, Sanchez has apologized, quit your whining.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom