guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
didn't know where else to put this
Sanders response

Sanders Statement on Trump
Wednesday, November 9, 2016
BURLINGTON, Vt., Nov. 9 – U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) issued the following statement Wednesday after Donald Trump was elected president of the United States:

“Donald Trump tapped into the anger of a declining middle class that is sick and tired of establishment economics, establishment politics and the establishment media. People are tired of working longer hours for lower wages, of seeing decent paying jobs go to China and other low-wage countries, of billionaires not paying any federal income taxes and of not being able to afford a college education for their kids - all while the very rich become much richer.

“To the degree that Mr. Trump is serious about pursuing policies that improve the lives of working families in this country, I and other progressives are prepared to work with him. To the degree that he pursues racist, sexist, xenophobic and anti-environment policies, we will vigorously oppose him.”

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Works for me. I have no problem with what he said. I think his anti-establishment comments were on point.

RetroMcBananaFace

AKA: retrobanana
Reaction score
A good man that would've busted his butt for the entire working class, and he would have been a great ambassador. That he is not president-elect right now is a failure on both parties, and especially the people who supported him and his message but didn't vote for him in the primaries.

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I voted for him, but don't think he'd have changed the down ballot stories even if elected. I sincerely doubt that a GOP opposition would offer to work with him on issues of agreement and stand against him on issues of disagreement the way his letter suggests. For that reason, though I voted for him because of his positions, my expectations for actual results was tempered.

Rugger

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sanders response
I agree with everything in that quote including the last part and I would be right there with him. I do think, at this point, it is fear mongering from the left, but yea if Trump is legitimately any of those things I'd be right there with Sanders.

Ironically Sanders was my choice, for both parties, in the primaries. I wish one day we would have leaders that are truly will to break down party lines. In that vein, i would love to see Sanders as Trump's VP. That would truly be historic.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I voted for him, but don't think he'd have changed the down ballot stories even if elected. I sincerely doubt that a GOP opposition would offer to work with him on issues of agreement and stand against him on issues of disagreement the way his letter suggests. For that reason, though I voted for him because of his positions, my expectations for actual results was tempered.
This is likely part of the reason the DNC went with Hillary. She's dealt with Congress before as has Bill, but they were shortsighted in thinking that Clinton would be a strong candidate because of all the other baggage she has. She is despised by many, even significant numbers of independents.

I think the DNC failed to energize their base significantly enough to get the vote out. Trump's overall numbers are flat to lower than previous Republican candidates, but it appears Hillary lost a lot of the voters who went Obama in the last 2 elections. I think part of the reason is because of the high negatives she had. Sanders wouldn't have had that problem IMO. He could have won, heck, I think he would have beaten Trump and would have carried Florida, Ohio and Wisconsin. The reason being is he would have siphoned off a lot of the anti-establishment vote that Trump got. Ultimately, the hard core anti establishment people went Trump or stayed home.

That's my educated guess, heh.

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm 99.84% certain she'd have had more problems with Congress, and not because of her agenda. Hell, they oppose themselves if it means more obstruction. I'll actually be interested to see how much the roll with Trump or fight him.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm 99.84% certain she'd have had more problems with Congress, and not because of her agenda. Hell, they oppose themselves if it means more obstruction. I'll actually be interested to see how much the roll with Trump or fight him.
Oh no doubt, but she's smart enough and experienced enough to frame issues in a way that can show people that Congress is deliberately doing exactly what they did to Obama and when midterms roll around, then all bets are off. I have zero love for Hillary, but she can handle herself with Congress.

J-Donk

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
This is likely part of the reason the DNC went with Hillary. She's dealt with Congress before as has Bill, but they were shortsighted in thinking that Clinton would be a strong candidate because of all the other baggage she has. She is despised by many, even significant numbers of independents.

I think the DNC failed to energize their base significantly enough to get the vote out. Trump's overall numbers are flat to lower than previous Republican candidates, but it appears Hillary lost a lot of the voters who went Obama in the last 2 elections. I think part of the reason is because of the high negatives she had. Sanders wouldn't have had that problem IMO. He could have won, heck, I think he would have beaten Trump and would have carried Florida, Ohio and Wisconsin. The reason being is he would have siphoned off a lot of the anti-establishment vote that Trump got. Ultimately, the hard core anti establishment people went Trump or stayed home.

That's my educated guess, heh.
It's clear from the emails Hillary was the nominee-in-waiting back in early 2015. That leaked conversation between her, and DWS talking about the convention proves it. You know the emails really did sink Hillary in the end, and not just her own but the DNC's. It showed politics be played as usual in the middle of a progressive uprising. All the leaks about "Where to put the knife", and "Bernie needs to be ground to pulp". Fair, or unfair that turned a lot of people off to that ultra negative campaign style.

Also for all the dog whistles on Donald Trunp I thought Hillary ran a somewhat sexist campaign. She didn't reach white women, but she turned off plenty of men. She had a literal woman card.. Imagine if Obama had made his race the central competent of his campaign? "I'm black, vote for me."

lapaz

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Bernie was always my number 1 choice. Hillary may have done better by choosing him as her VP, though people would still be asking to swap the top of the ticket. Kaine is also a good man, but much more establishment than Bernie. Hillary lost a lot of Bernie's supporters when she went with Kaine. We need many more in Bernie's vein. Decent men that are willing to work for the working class and underprivileged. Honestly, I don't think either Bernie nor Trump have the right answer since their answer is protectionism, but I'm sympathetic to trying it. That is the only thing Trump has proposed that I lukewarmly support.

Krodwhodat

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Sanders response

Bernie was caught between a rock and a hard place you could see it made him sick to his stomach to back Hillary and I bet he threw up a few times writing this. I know hindsight is 20/20 but knowing the outcome he could have really stirred things up by putting all of his support behind one of the third parties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rugger

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It's clear from the emails Hillary was the nominee-in-waiting back in early 2015. That leaked conversation between her, and DWS talking about the convention proves it. You know the emails really did sink Hillary in the end, and not just her own but the DNC's. It showed politics be played as usual in the middle of a progressive uprising. All the leaks about "Where to put the knife", and "Bernie needs to be ground to pulp". Fair, or unfair that turned a lot of people off to that ultra negative campaign style.

Also for all the dog whistles on Donald Trunp I thought Hillary ran a somewhat sexist campaign. She didn't reach white women, but she turned off plenty of men. She had a literal woman card.. Imagine if Obama had made his race the central competent of his campaign? "I'm black, vote for me."
I'm glad you said this because I thought the same. She really pushed the "woman movement" card and I don't think it resonated with many non woman voters. I would go a step further and say she ran on campaigning for everyone except white-male. The left is really pushing this dialog and I think it caught up with them a bit.

Blackcricket

All-Pro
Reaction score
Bernie was caught between a rock and a hard place you could see it made him sick to his stomach to back Hillary and I bet he threw up a few times writing this. I know hindsight is 20/20 but knowing the outcome he could have really stirred things up by putting all of his support behind one of the third parties.

Hindsight 20/20. How about during the primaries? He could've stirred up the email mess more and maybe gotten in a better position to getting the nomination. But, because of the type of person he is steered the campaigning in the direction of sticking with the issues. Rightfully so.

DNC needs to thoroughly clean house.

SuperMatt

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score

I agree. All these politicians what is their main goal? To keep their job. Imagine this: if there is a big vote and two senators are talking to each other one Democrat and one Republican the night before they have drinks and the conversation would go something like this (hey you go up to the podium and blast me all you can then I will get up and blast you the same, our voters will think we are fighting for them. This should get both of us re-elected let's toast to that!!!).

Krodwhodat

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm glad you said this because I thought the same. She really pushed the "woman movement" card and I don't think it resonated with many non woman voters. I would go a step further and say she ran on campaigning for everyone except white-male. The left is really pushing this dialog and I think it caught up with them a bit.

With your step further right there you just summed up the ENTIRE reason Trump won. I know it makes some people mad because white males have everything but for me personally it has gotten to the point where a lot of the left doing everything for the betterment of everyone but me being a white male. Its becoming more of a stick it to the white man mentality as opposed to let's be equal. I don't think it's by design I think it's just from having to fight for so long it's became wanting to win rather that a tie.

not2rich

NO State of Mind
Reaction score
Trump is in a unique position in that, whatever else you say about him, he truly is an outsider to his own party, or at least the traditional wing of it represented by the Paul Ryan types. While Trump will likely assist much of the traditional GOP agenda, a lot of it won't be consistent with Trump's populist themes, and significantly more GOP voters think Trump represents their values better than Ryan. At the same time, there is definitely overlap between Trump's economic themes and those of the Democratic left. With Trump owing no particular allegiance to the GOP establishment, there is actually an opportunity for him to work with both parties on certain issues.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom