Satan Wants You (1 Viewer)

Then you got this lady…

I remember it well. We lived near woods and I was about 10. Me and my friends talked ourselves into believing there were satanists in living in the woods sacrificing animals. Never a shred of evidence other than our imagination…..I miss the 80s!
It’s funny looking back at how urban legends spread in the pre-internet age. I heard a very similar story growing up about satanists sacrificing animals in the woods in one of the neighborhoods on the east side of Baton Rouge.

I remember it well. We lived near woods and I was about 10. Me and my friends talked ourselves into believing there were satanists in living in the woods sacrificing animals. Never a shred of evidence other than our imagination…..I miss the 80s!

Man we did the same thing. I also remember my mom making me watch these videos about Satanism in music, and then everyone panicking over D&D. What a weird time.

It’s funny looking back at how urban legends spread in the pre-internet age. I heard a very similar story growing up about satanists sacrificing animals in the woods in one of the neighborhoods on the east side of Baton Rouge.
The one I had heard was a satanic cult would meet for devil worship at some abandoned building(maybe it was an old pumping station?) that was south of Berhman Hwy on the Orleans/JP line on the levee. One of my cousins said he went in it the building and everyone had glowing red eyes and were chanting. I didn't believe him because he was a bullshirt artist.

The 1980s. Where a rumor can be declared a fact because of one single morning talk show!
Remember when Phil Collins saw that guy drown and the other guy not help him, then Collins sent him tickets to his show and sung In The Air Tonight with the spotlight on him? Good times..lol

The whole Satanatic thing in the 80's was just the new 'hes a communist' thing from the 60's..

Remember when Phil Collins saw that guy drown and the other guy not help him, then Collins sent him tickets to his show and sung In The Air Tonight with the spotlight on him? Good times..lol

The whole Satanatic thing in the 80's was just the new 'hes a communist' thing from the 60's..
LOL. I heard that story during Paul Harvey's, "rest of the story".

for those that remember it:

did the panic end with a lot of coverage of 'it was all lies'? or just quietly fade away?

Man we did the same thing. I also remember my mom making me watch these videos about Satanism in music, and then everyone panicking over D&D. What a weird time.
I was much too cool for D&D when I was a teenager. It wasn't until my 2nd year in the Navy that I became a geek/nerd. Hey! Did the Navy turn me onto satanism?!!

Ah, yes. The glory of the Satanic Panic of the 80’s. It was 1983 and I was 13 years old. Ripe for the picking for old Lucifer. I was living in Southern California and I was drawn in to the likes of Iron Maiden (Number of The Beast anyone??), Dio (whose lettering spells devil if you look really hard), Judas Priest (preaching for Judas who betrayed Jesus), RUSH (which stood for Rulers Under Satan’s House), KISS (Knights In Satan’s Service), AC/DC (against Christ/Devil’s children) & so many more. Yes, I was a slave to the dark side……..

Good God, do I remember those years. And I remember that McMartin Preschool case specifically. It was always on and just fueled the Bible thumping, Christian fundamentalists at the time, varsity and non-varsity fundamentalists mind you. It was truly a panic. Music, movies, games, video games, no one was innocent of judgement. It was almost like 80’s McCarthy-ism. The Red Devil Scare.

My grandmother and mother both thought that my musical hero’s at the time were agents of the devil put on this earth to gather an army of soldiers to take over. God forbid I bring Slayer in the house in 1983! Unreal.

did the panic end with a lot of coverage of 'it was all lies'? or just quietly fade away?
Faded away. This was the peak and I remember a big deal at the time!

It was Motley Crue's "In the beginning / Shout at the Devil" for me. Except playing it backwards talked glowingly about God and Heaven and Angels.

I remember there was some rumur or something or other about Proctor & Gamble putting satanic images on some of their products' packaging like toilet paper and paper towels.

Yes. They had to change their original logo because it was deemed to be satanic.

1680198881818.png

As for satanic product placement, this one is my favorite:

As I recall, it just faded away.........

Which got me thinking. Amazing that the Prince Of Darkness, Ozzy Osbourne, was once classified as THE devil incarnate and now, he is America's pitch man, teams enter to his songs, had a successful TV show, and millions know him.

The bands of the hyesterical 80's pale in comparison to the likes of Ghost, Deicide, Mayhem, Gororoth and so on. The whole Satanic Panic was like the Shark Attack Frenzy of the summer of 2001. That was the summer of "constant shark attacks" and "killer sharks". Well, 9/11 happened and that changed everyrthing.

It is an interesting look into just how powerful the media really is and their influence of persuasion.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom