Satellite TV Advice - Which is best? (1 Viewer)

saintfan

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I have Cox Cable, and I have had enough of their pathetic service. I am going to drop them and go with a satellite system, but I need some advice from those that have the system.

I generally get the full package, so go from there. IYO, which system is better, Dish or Direct. And who would you recommend int he New Orleans area? Who has the better package?

Also, we have Cox computer hookup, which we like, but once I drop their system, I will likely also lose the direct link. Do either one of the satellite systems offer a DSL type system?

Just to let you know why I am dropping Cox. I went with their HD DVD system last November. In the past year I have had to change their converter box seven times, including three times in one day.

The service is getting worse daily. The picture will freeze, digitize, sound will go out, or we get a statement on the screen that we need to subscribe to a channel, including local. I have called them daily with complaints about the problems. Them have refreshed my converter box several times (that is not the problem), and sent out service people. The last one finally figured out what we were telling him, that the problem was with the connection from the road, not the box. He said he would report it, but no repairs have been made.

Last night was the last straw, it was virtually unwatchable. I called up their customer service department, but their telephone line wasn't available. I am paying $160 a month for cable and network linkup, only to get pure garbage.

I love my Dish!! I have had it for well, lets see about 8 years.

I decided to go with Dish instead of Direct TV, based on the fast that Direct does/did not carry the "SuperStation" which is what the then Star Trek was played on. Now Star Trek is off the air, so it doesn't matter, but I still watch a lot on the Super Stations.

Dish is easy to pay,on phone, online, or mail. You can easily get a live person on the phone to talk to, and they are always nice, easy to understand and helpful.

I will always keep my dish. I have 3 receivers right now, and have the "everything" package.

When I was in Slidell for 3 days bored out of my ever lovin mind....It drove me crazy that I could not push an info button on the remote and get all the info on the shows I was browsing though.

Been there, done that, switched to Eatel's Fiber Edge and loving it. Bell South has a TV, ISP, & Phone package, so you might want to see if they or another telco in the area can meet your needs. At a minimum, you should to check your local telco providers for DSL connection instead of trying to get internet via satellite. I think with satellite you really only get download and have to upload via modem so it isn't really worth it.

Also, some cell phone companies provide tethering service from a BlackBerry type device which will let you connect with decent speed through cell towers. I'd recommend the DSL option first, but if you already have cell service you might be able to upgrade your phone and plan and come out cheaper.

I have Cox Cable, and I have had enough of their pathetic service. I am going to drop them and go with a satellite system, but I need some advice from those that have the system.

I generally get the full package, so go from there. IYO, which system is better, Dish or Direct. And who would you recommend int he New Orleans area? Who has the better package?

Also, we have Cox computer hookup, which we like, but once I drop their system, I will likely also lose the direct link. Do either one of the satellite systems offer a DSL type system?

Just to let you know why I am dropping Cox. I went with their HD DVD system last November. In the past year I have had to change their converter box seven times, including three times in one day.

The service is getting worse daily. The picture will freeze, digitize, sound will go out, or we get a statement on the screen that we need to subscribe to a channel, including local. I have called them daily with complaints about the problems. Them have refreshed my converter box several times (that is not the problem), and sent out service people. The last one finally figured out what we were telling him, that the problem was with the connection from the road, not the box. He said he would report it, but no repairs have been made.

Last night was the last straw, it was virtually unwatchable. I called up their customer service department, but their telephone line wasn't available. I am paying $160 a month for cable and network linkup, only to get pure garbage.

dish network sounds like they way to go for you. if you want hd dish has 30 channels of it and directv has a bad 9

It depends on how big of a football fan you are and where you live. If you live outside the Saints viewing area (which you don't) you have to get DirecTV and get the Sunday Ticket. If you like watching 8 games on the screen at the same time, you have to get the Sunday Ticket-Superfan Direct Mix. If you like having uninterrupted football playing in the background while you're doing something else or too lazy to change the channels you have to get the Sunday Ticket-Superfan Red Zone Channel. Also, the NFL Sunday Ticket Superfan has shortcuts to watch the all plays in the game for all teams in 30 minutes.

My TV is too small to actually watch 8 games on one screen at the same time, but if I had say a 42" set or larger, I'm sure it would be awesome.

So if you're just into watching the Saints and not worried about anyone else, I'm sure Dish would be fine too. However, my Dad has Dish and during his visit here a couple of week ago, he said he liked the programming on DirecTV better.

I love my Dish!! I have had it for well, lets see about 8 years.

I decided to go with Dish instead of Direct TV, based on the fast that Direct does/did not carry the "SuperStation" which is what the then Star Trek was played on. Now Star Trek is off the air, so it doesn't matter, but I still watch a lot on the Super Stations.

Dish is easy to pay,on phone, online, or mail. You can easily get a live person on the phone to talk to, and they are always nice, easy to understand and helpful.

I will always keep my dish. I have 3 receivers right now, and have the "everything" package.

When I was in Slidell for 3 days bored out of my ever lovin mind....It drove me crazy that I could not push an info button on the remote and get all the info on the shows I was browsing though.

just curious but does the dish allow for local channels, DTV only allows for LA and NYC network channels after a 45 day request

Saintfan

i have DTV, its the best, though no local channels - you can get hish speed internet, i hear its an additional $60 a month and the hardware can run up to $600

just curious but does the dish allow for local channels, DTV only allows for LA and NYC network channels after a 45 day request

I think it depends on where you live, and if you can actually get the channels or not with out cable with rabbit ears. They rules may have changed though. I CAN get my local channels via dish. When I mean local, I mean with OUR local news and all. I just haven't done it yet. I need to though.

I hope you're not a Hornets fan. I've had DirecTV for a year and I'm giving it back later this month when my 1-year agreement is up. The service has been very good but I just can't live with the whole "You can never watch a Hornets game again" thing.

Otherwise, it's everything everybody says it is. Great service, almost no down time, and no more expensive than cable was.

I think it depends on where you live, and if you can actually get the channels or not with out cable with rabbit ears. They rules may have changed though. I CAN get my local channels via dish. When I mean local, I mean with OUR local news and all. I just haven't done it yet. I need to though.

are you in louisisana? im in alexandria and cant get our local channels vis DTV, can barely pick up local nbc and cant get any CBS , rabbit ears wont pickup CBS out of lafayette - thats the closest CBS station

are you in louisisana? im in alexandria and cant get our local channels vis DTV, can barely pick up local nbc and cant get any CBS , rabbit ears wont pickup CBS out of lafayette - thats the closest CBS station

I think Jayden is in Monroe. But, I can tell you that you can get all the local channels fine in New Orleans on DTV.

I have to be honest, as annoyed as I always was with Cox Cable, I wish I could have it back, but it isn't available where I live now. DTV has been good, you get a lot channels for the money, and I do like the NFL Network and all of the kids channels for my daughter, but the signal does blink out a little too often for my taste. It only happens with serious thunder storms and then only for 5 or 10 minutes at most, but it's still annoying. I also liked the Cox DVR better than the DTV DVR. It seemed to have more features and the controls were easier to figure out.

I am in Monroe. When is the last time you asked about getting local channels via your satalite network? For a while I was only allowed 2 of the local channels, then I movied and I wasn't allowed any of them. Eventually it changed for everyone in the area, and now we can get them all. You might want to place a call and see if there have been any recent changes on that front.

I have not had too many problems with losing my sat connection. If it blinks out its really has not been more than 1 minute. When MY cablevision would go out....it wouldn't come back on so quickly...

I am in Monroe. When is the last time you asked about getting local channels via your satalite network? For a while I was only allowed 2 of the local channels, then I movied and I wasn't allowed any of them. Eventually it changed for everyone in the area, and now we can get them all. You might want to place a call and see if there have been any recent changes on that front.

I have not had too many problems with losing my sat connection. If it blinks out its really has not been more than 1 minute. When MY cablevision would go out....it wouldn't come back on so quickly...

2 or so weeks ago, i wanted to see an lsu game - thats all i ever go to network channels for, sports

I switched to Directv from Time Warner in February of this year. Had cable and internet through TW, but completely dropped them and picked up DSL from BellSouth. I've had absolutely no problems with DSL since I got it.

Directv had to come out once to move my satellite dish (the original installer put in a bad line-of-sight spot), but other than that, I've not had to call them. I have their HD-DVR (which is made by Tivo). However, Directv just introduced their own in-house brand HD-DVR (which has gotten mixed reviews), and is slowly rolling it out to customers.

I get local channels here in Jackson, and pick up my locals in HD thanks to an indoor antenna I have hooked up to my DVR. Directv is slowly adding HD locals through satellite (not sure if NO has been added yet, but I think it has). If HD locals are available through satellite, you'd probably get the new DVR.

The HD service does not freeze, skip, or pixelate (unless the weather gets really bad outside). However, Directv (though they deny it) does not offer full, HD resolution on it's HD channels. What they offer is termed "HD-Lite" (in fact, they're getting sued over it). Next year, they're supposed to roll out a bunch of new national HD channels, but when that happens remains to be seen.

At present, Dish does have more HD channels than Directv, but some of Dish's include MonsterHD, Kung FuHD, and....you get the idea.

IMHO, Directv is better than Dish, and I have used both. What's funny is that I was in Florida over the weekend, and was at a house with Cox service. While the HD picture was better than mine, I did notice the picture just go black at one point. So, the problem is not isolated to NO (or wherever you might be).

I'm in the same postion with Cox. Fed up with them and their horrible service and product. Looking into satelite also. When you guys say that satelite doesn't get local channels do mean I can't watch local news stuff or do mean I don't NBC, ABC, FOX etc. and their programing. I'm ok with losing the local news cause I never watch it anyway.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom