Saudi King calls for interfaith dialogue (1 Viewer)

DavidM

Admin Emeritus
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Saudi King calls for interfaith dialogue

By DONNA ABU-NASR and ABDULLAH SHIHRI, Associated Press Writers
1 hour, 25 minutes ago

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia - The Saudi king has made an impassioned plea for dialogue among Muslims, Christians and Jews — the first such proposal from a nation with no diplomatic ties to Israel and a ban on non-Muslim religious services and symbols.

The message from King Abdullah, which was welcomed by Jewish, Christian and Muslim leaders, comes at a time of stalled peace initiatives and escalating tensions in the region.

Muslims have been angered by cartoons published in European papers seen as insulting the Prophet Muhammad and by the pope's baptizing on Easter of a Muslim journalist who had converted to Catholicism.

Saudi King calls for interfaith dialogue - Yahoo! News

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard, and the way they prop him up like he is so compassionate is unbelievable. How can there be "interfaith dialogue" when religious freedom itself doesn't exist in Saudi Arabia?

"The idea is to ask representatives of all monotheistic religions to sit together with their brothers in faith and sincerity to all religions as we all believe in the same God," the king told delegates Monday night at a seminar on "Culture and the Respect of Religions."

The call — the first of its kind by an Arab leader — was significant. The Saudi monarch is the custodian of Islam's two holiest shrines in Mecca and Medina, a position that lends his words special importance and influence.

HOW DUMB!!!
imagine if we actually got along and there was peace. how could i possibly prove my God is sooooo much better than your God because, we don't have the same God ya know!!!

no thank you, i will take my McReligion at the summit in houston and park myself in front of benny hinn and donate my sins away!!! wallmart church is much better than some dumb saudi guy trying to make peace...

I think its a step in the positive direction for what could be a solution to the turmoil in the middle east. My guess is that King Abdulla is seeing an impass coming in the near future if something does not change. At the bottom of the article I read there was a quote from a Saudi cleric or some such that was in regard to telling the extremist to stop using religion as their cause.

The root of Islamic extremism is wahhabism created by the Saudis probably with the help of the British back when they were attempting to colonize the area. They are the ones sending resistance fighters into Iraq blowing things up including American soldiers. Pre 9-11 the main support the "taliban" recieved was from the Saudi's. I'm all for peace, but when the leader of the most religiously oppressive gov. comes out and says it I take it with a grain of salt.

this is a huge step in the right direction especially when you consider the weight the saudi word carries in the ME. if we can open dialog, we can erode the power base of the extremists. without complete cooperation from the ME and saudi in particular, we have absolutely no shot at ending this thing any time soon...

wahhabbism was created by Muhammad Ibn Abd-Al_wahhab. While there has been support from saudi arabia i would hardly call it government support for terrorism. the support was in financing for schools for advancement in monotheism and to ultimately fight pagan beliefs...

OBL and others like him perverted the original teachings of Abd-Al Wahhab in order to push their agenda...

The root of Islamic extremism is wahhabism created by the Saudis probably with the help of the British back when they were attempting to colonize the area. They are the ones sending resistance fighters into Iraq blowing things up including American soldiers. Pre 9-11 the main support the "taliban" recieved was from the Saudi's. I'm all for peace, but when the leader of the most religiously oppressive gov. comes out and says it I take it with a grain of salt.
King Abdullah is well known as a religious moderate and a vocal opponent of Wahhabism.

King Abdullah is well known as a religious moderate and a vocal opponent of Wahhabism.
SHHHHHHHH!!!

no sense in throwing in fact. we are now in a society where fact is fiction and TV is reality...

After further reading on the subject I take back what I have said so hastily. It appears there is actual action behind the talk of King Abdullah.

"The idea is to ask representatives of all monotheistic religions to sit together with their brothers in faith and sincerity to all religions as we all believe in the same God," the king told delegates Monday night at a seminar on "Culture and the Respect of Religions."

The call — the first of its kind by an Arab leader — was significant. The Saudi monarch is the custodian of Islam's two holiest shrines in Mecca and Medina, a position that lends his words special importance and influence.

HOW DUMB!!!
imagine if we actually got along and there was peace. how could i possibly prove my God is sooooo much better than your God because, we don't have the same God ya know!!!

no thank you, i will take my McReligion at the summit in houston and park myself in front of benny hinn and donate my sins away!!! wallmart church is much better than some dumb saudi guy trying to make peace...
LOL!
(i'm Muslim and I appreciate quality humor!)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom