Sausage for Jambalaya ? (1 Viewer)

huh.. you and i are about the same age; when we were kids, wasn't it held at a race track or something? i just remember it being a really good time every year.

Yep the old drag strip then it was a Levis car dealership. I have no idea whats there now.

Usually, I like to pick up my sausage from Market Basket in Lake Charles. It used to be made by Stop-n-Shop (I'm so old), but when that store went out of business, they sold the recipe. However, lately I've really enjoyed the sausage from The Mowata Store just a few miles south of Eunice on 13.

If you are in TX, there is a grocery store bought brand called Holmes Sausage. Use their beef sausage, and you will be happier than with any other grocery store sausage. Its sooo much better than the other mass market stuff I have tried.

http://www.holmessmokehouse.com/

Savoir's is the only decent brand of Andouille Sausage available in my area. That is unless you order from Poche's on the web which cost twice as much. For jambalaya I like to mix a little regular smoked sausage with andoullie. Smoked sausage has more fat so it carmelizes better on the bottom of the pot than andouille alone.

FYI. Do Not But Kroger Brand Anouille.... It sucks!

I decided to bunp this old thread because I am trying to see if there are any newcomers to the NOLA area. I haven’t been in years so I don’t even know how the stores made out in Ida but to me, the go to has always been Baileys followed by Jacobs, both in LaPlace. Baileys andouille has a smokiness that will run you out of your car on the way home. Strong enough that I have cut it with other smoked sausage or it can add too much flavor.

Having said all that, I don’t know if I will have time for a LaPlace run this week. So might look at Winn Dixie or DD.

I was surprised there were so many mentions of Savoies and Richards. Those are to stay away from on all products in my book - especially Savoie.

Any new ones getting it right?

I decided to bunp this old thread because I am trying to see if there are any newcomers to the NOLA area. I haven’t been in years so I don’t even know how the stores made out in Ida but to me, the go to has always been Baileys followed by Jacobs, both in LaPlace. Baileys andouille has a smokiness that will run you out of your car on the way home. Strong enough that I have cut it with other smoked sausage or it can add too much flavor.

Having said all that, I don’t know if I will have time for a LaPlace run this week. So might look at Winn Dixie or DD.

I was surprised there were so many mentions of Savoies and Richards. Those are to stay away from on all products in my book - especially Savoie.

Any new ones getting it right?
IDK what they have in your area, but I've taken a shine to Jambalaya Shoppe hot for mine. Not sure how far they reach out of Gonzales. I think you can still take your deer to them at the processor on Hwy 30 and they'll make to your specs too.

I really like Manda Smoked Sausage. I usually load up on it when I go visit family. I haven’t found anything worth the money here. I love it in jambalaya, gumbo and red beans.

I hate to say it, poster from 2008- but 2nd to last time i made jambalaya i used Zatarain’s and didnt like the taste.. but last time , i used freaking Johnsonville andouille and thought it tasted better…. Go figure .
Zatarains is nasty. I bought it twice, the 2nd time because I wondered if the 1st purchase was a bad batch. Nope, it’s just not good.

For Jambalaya, I use the Down Home Green Onion which is local made in Stonewall. Bonus when I do cook-offs, I get the "Re-Wrap" sausage from them to give away for snacks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom