Saw this on another forum discussing the final AP results... (1 Viewer)

You have a point about the slow re-ordering after the preseason ranks. The reason I think it matters is because that's how strong they were at the time. There are many variable as to how a team moves up or down, so I won't get into it.

Case in point about where they were ranked at the time would be Oregon. Soon as Dixon went down, so did the team and their rank. If Dixon wouldn't have been injured, they'd be up in the ranks too (probably). Does that lessen the effect of another team's win over Oregon BEFORE the injury and while they were ranked in the Top 5 over waiting till the final rankings when they finished unranked?

It's a tough call -- I'll use your quote from another thread to show why I think the effect of another team's win over Oregon before the injury should be lessened...the injury proved that Oregon really wasn't that great of a TEAM.
Injuries can and do show weaknesses in a team's system and overall team talent. If you can't be just as competitive with a backup or two while you play unranked teams, then you have clearly shown that you are NOT the best team. If the USC loss is attributed to JDB being hurt, then it's the player that is very good, not the team.

Change USC to Oregon, and JDB to Dixon, and the statement is still very true. However, WITH those players they are tough, and teams should be given credit for beating them while at full strength. It's not an exact science, that's for sure...

You have a point about the slow re-ordering after the preseason ranks. The reason I think it matters is because that's how strong they were at the time. There are many variable as to how a team moves up or down, so I won't get into it.

Case in point about where they were ranked at the time would be Oregon. Soon as Dixon went down, so did the team and their rank. If Dixon wouldn't have been injured, they'd be up in the ranks too (probably). Does that lessen the effect of another team's win over Oregon BEFORE the injury and while they were ranked in the Top 5 over waiting till the final rankings when they finished unranked?

I would agree if I bought into the rankings stuff. Problem is I think that the rankings in CFB are silly. All they are is guesstimations, sometimes without too much basis in reality. This is particularly true in the begining of the season when teams are steamrolling nobodys. There isn't much one can tell about a team by whipping up on Delgado A&M. So the first week of the 'real' schedule you could possibly get a highly ranked team getting whipped. I don't think you can really classify that as a quality win, even if you be the named #1 team in the country. Really the whole thing just needs to come down to a playoff and then you can finally talk about legitimate (maybe not fair) but at least legitimate rankings.

I would agree if I bought into the rankings stuff. Problem is I think that the rankings in CFB are silly. All they are is guesstimations, sometimes without too much basis in reality. This is particularly true in the begining of the season when teams are steamrolling nobodys. There isn't much one can tell about a team by whipping up on Delgado A&M. So the first week of the 'real' schedule you could possibly get a highly ranked team getting whipped. I don't think you can really classify that as a quality win, even if you be the named #1 team in the country. Really the whole thing just needs to come down to a playoff and then you can finally talk about legitimate (maybe not fair) but at least legitimate rankings.

I got your back on that one too. The rankings are a joke. I'm surprised Notre Dame wasn't ranked.:covri:

>>Does that lessen the effect of another team's win over Oregon BEFORE the injury and while they were ranked in the Top 5 over waiting till the final rankings when they finished unranked?

Are you talking about the loss to California? You are wrong on one point and others are debatable. Oregon was NOT RANKED #5 (actually 10 or 11) when they lost to Cal who was ranked #6 at the time. That would be the game where Dixon threw the tying touchdown pass with 22 seconds remaining, Colvin reached for the goal line, fumbled and the ball went out of bounds in the endzone resulting in a touchback. The play was reviewed and allowed to stand. I disagreed with the call and thought the ball was right on the pylon. JMO of course, but it's better to put things into perspective instead of grandstanding where you might end up being wrong.

TPS

>>Does that lessen the effect of another team's win over Oregon BEFORE the injury and while they were ranked in the Top 5 over waiting till the final rankings when they finished unranked?

Are you talking about the loss to California? You are wrong on one point and others are debatable. Oregon was NOT RANKED #5 (actually 10 or 11) when they lost to Cal who was ranked #6 at the time. That would be the game where Dixon threw the tying touchdown pass with 22 seconds remaining, Colvin reached for the goal line, fumbled and the ball went out of bounds in the endzone resulting in a touchback. The play was reviewed and allowed to stand. I disagreed with the call and thought the ball was right on the pylon. JMO of course, but it's better to put things into perspective instead of grandstanding where you might end up being wrong.

TPS

Honestly, I was not reffering to any game in particular. It was more of just an example. Maybe I didn't word it correctly. I AM at work afterall.:smilielol:

BTW, that was a TD.

>>Honestly, I was not reffering to any game in particular. It was more of just an example. Maybe I didn't word it correctly. I AM at work afterall.

Understood. I've always liked the Ducks, so I pay them casual attention. The truth [tm] is that the Cal game was the only game they lost prior to losing Dixon in the first quarter of the loss to the Arizona Wildcats. Oregon was clearly on the march toward a BCS bowl (if not something more), and Dixon was in the mix for the Heisman Trophy in my opinion.

TPS

I agree. As much as I really liked Oregon this year, their secondary got exposed in a way that would have been their demise before they could have been in position to qualify for a BSC game. Otherwise, that offense was smokin and Dixon was a legit candidate for Heisman.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom