Say it isn’t so! Hall sues Oates (2 Viewers)

I'm sorry. What the heck are you talking about?
I'm playfully making fun of this lawsuit story by using bits and pieces of past Hall and Oates songs to metaphorically mimic the contensious nature of the case in a humorous way. Quite a few posters on this thread were actually making tongue-in-cheek comments using past Hall and Oates songs to make fun or talk about this story.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Daryl Hall has sued his longtime music partner John Oates, arguing that his plan to sell off his share of a joint venture would violate the terms of a business agreement the Hall & Oates duo had forged.

The move quickly prompted a judge to temporarily block the sale while legal proceedings and a previously initiated arbitration continue.

A Nashville chancery court judge issued the temporary restraining order on Nov. 16, writing that Oates and others involved in his trust can’t move to close the sale of their share of Whole Oats Enterprises LLP to Primary Wave IP Investment Management LLC until an arbitrator in a separately filed case weighs in on the deal, or until the judge’s order expires — typically within 15 days, unless a judge extends the deadline.

Chancellor Russell Perkins issued the order the same day Hall filed his lawsuit, which was largely brought forth under seal, obscuring most details. An order Wednesday by the judge allowed more filings to be made public, though many details about the pair’s business agreement and the proposed sale remain under wraps.

Writing in favor of sealing certain filings, Hall’s attorneys reasoned that it’s a private dispute under an agreement with confidential terms, concerning a confidential arbitration process.

Although the publicly released version of the lawsuit didn’t specify what’s at stake in the sale, Primary Wave has already owned “significant interest” in Hall and Oates’ song catalog for more than 15 years. In a 2021 interview with Sky News, Hall alluded to disappointment with the sale of his back catalog.

“Oh, in the early days, it got sold off for me and I didn’t get the money,” he said. In the same interview, he advised artists to retain their publishing rights, saying “all you have is that.”…….

More details have emerged in the spat between pop duo Hall & Oates, after Daryl Hall filed a lawsuit and restraining order against John Oates last week.

The initial lawsuit was sealed, and only scant details were revealed days later, showing that it concerned a dispute over Oates’s reported plan to sell his share of the pair’s publishing to Primary Wave Music, the company that has acquired numerous song catalogues in recent years by artists including Prince, Stevie Nicks, Burt Bacharach and many more.

In a declaration filed at a Nashville court on Wednesday, Hall laid out his accusations against Oates, saying the planned sale was a “completely clandestine and bad faith move”, that was in “blatant violation” of longstanding business agreements between the pair.

He alleged that Oates and the trustees of his estate spent several months “falsely contending” that they wanted to continue owning their share of the duo’s Whole Oats Enterprises (WOE) company, but then “surreptitiously sought to sell half of the WOE assets without obtaining my written approval”. Hall described this as “the ultimate partnership betrayal”.

A judge issued a temporary restraining order against a sale of WOE assets to Primary Wave, meaning that the case will have to enter arbitration before any sale can go ahead.

Oates filed his own response within hours, describing Hall’s statements as “inflammatory, outlandish, and inaccurate”. He added: “Over the years, Daryl has consistently and publicly been adamant about being perceived as an individual rather than as part of a duo or group.

Thus, he has insisted on our being known as ‘Daryl Hall and John Oates,’ rather than the more commonly known ‘Hall & Oates’. On this point I agree. I now must act with truthfulness and make decisions that are right for myself, my family, and my artistic future.”

In his court filing, Hall wrote about the breakdown in relations between the pair, who topped the US charts six times between 1976 and 1984 with songs such as Rich Girl and I Can’t Go For That (No Can Do).

He said he was “deeply troubled by the deterioration of my relationship with, and trust in, John Oates”, and claimed that Oates wanted “to create the most harm to me” with the timing of the lawsuit, as he was about to begin touring, causing “tremendous upheaval, harm, and difficulty in my life”.

He opposes the sale to Primary Wave in particular, saying: “There is no amount of money that could compensate me for being forced to partner with an entity that I did not agree to partner with, and whose business model does not comport with my views regarding the WOE assets.”

He said he feared Primary Wave would use “my name and likeness for branding and [commercial] exploitations”. Primary Wave has not commented on the lawsuit. The Guardian has contacted Primary Wave for comment……

More details have emerged in the spat between pop duo Hall & Oates, after Daryl Hall filed a lawsuit and restraining order against John Oates last week.

The initial lawsuit was sealed, and only scant details were revealed days later, showing that it concerned a dispute over Oates’s reported plan to sell his share of the pair’s publishing to Primary Wave Music, the company that has acquired numerous song catalogues in recent years by artists including Prince, Stevie Nicks, Burt Bacharach and many more.

In a declaration filed at a Nashville court on Wednesday, Hall laid out his accusations against Oates, saying the planned sale was a “completely clandestine and bad faith move”, that was in “blatant violation” of longstanding business agreements between the pair.

He alleged that Oates and the trustees of his estate spent several months “falsely contending” that they wanted to continue owning their share of the duo’s Whole Oats Enterprises (WOE) company, but then “surreptitiously sought to sell half of the WOE assets without obtaining my written approval”. Hall described this as “the ultimate partnership betrayal”.

A judge issued a temporary restraining order against a sale of WOE assets to Primary Wave, meaning that the case will have to enter arbitration before any sale can go ahead.

Oates filed his own response within hours, describing Hall’s statements as “inflammatory, outlandish, and inaccurate”. He added: “Over the years, Daryl has consistently and publicly been adamant about being perceived as an individual rather than as part of a duo or group.

Thus, he has insisted on our being known as ‘Daryl Hall and John Oates,’ rather than the more commonly known ‘Hall & Oates’. On this point I agree. I now must act with truthfulness and make decisions that are right for myself, my family, and my artistic future.”

In his court filing, Hall wrote about the breakdown in relations between the pair, who topped the US charts six times between 1976 and 1984 with songs such as Rich Girl and I Can’t Go For That (No Can Do).

He said he was “deeply troubled by the deterioration of my relationship with, and trust in, John Oates”, and claimed that Oates wanted “to create the most harm to me” with the timing of the lawsuit, as he was about to begin touring, causing “tremendous upheaval, harm, and difficulty in my life”.

He opposes the sale to Primary Wave in particular, saying: “There is no amount of money that could compensate me for being forced to partner with an entity that I did not agree to partner with, and whose business model does not comport with my views regarding the WOE assets.”

He said he feared Primary Wave would use “my name and likeness for branding and [commercial] exploitations”. Primary Wave has not commented on the lawsuit. The Guardian has contacted Primary Wave for comment……

Man, what a mess. That's actually fairly common in these sorts of long-term relationships. It sounds like there was nothing in writing that prohibits Oates from selling his share of the publishing company but Hall is arguing that they had an agreement based on the relationship history - and Hall doesn't want Oates to sell for reasons that include Hall's concern about what the buyer may be able to do with that intellectual property.

If that's true you'd have to think that Oates has the better position, but it's hard to know without seeing business documents. Some of those comments are pretty sad on the relationship. Sounds very soured at this point. A shame.

many artists sell their music rights to other people and companies all the time. Ones like this are a fine line because it could possibly affect the other. But stuff like this has a history of tearing lifelong friendships apart.

Not shocked that it runs out to be about money. Never cared for their music, but it's sad to see.

I think it's about the money. Oates has an asset that he wants to convert to cash where it is presumably more valuable to him at this point in his life. And Hall doesn't want him to for reasons that Hall thinks are important.

Ur post reminded me of a long ago anecdote.. I had a friend/coworker in the early 90s from NYC who had met a ton of celebrities while growing up.. at some point while we were working together i asked him basically who’s the biggest A-hole celebrity he’d ever met , and without hesitation he said “Daryl Hall”.. it was the most random answer, b/c at that point H&O were considered has-beens and were not popular at all.. my friend demonstrated for me the handshake Hall gave him, which was like really limp and almost like he didnt deign to touch someone beneath him.. said the guy was just a total prick.. maybe he just had a bad day, but it seems like his attitude pretty much sucks in general from other things ive heard and read .

In reading about this I've seen many people make the same observation

Everyone agrees that he is very talented, but also agree that he is an entitled, conceited jerk

The rumors are that Hall is very bitter that it's always Hall & Oates implying a 50-50 partnership, and it sounds like it may not have been. And if it wasn't, especially in the superstar years, but the money split is, that's another reason to be bitter

More than few have suggested that the real root of the bitterness is that it's always Hall & Oates.

Hall was supposed to be like George Michael and Wham!, or Beyonce and Destiny's Child or Michael Jackson and the Jackson 5.

Darryl Hall was supposed to break away and go onto solo superstardom

But he didn't and for whatever reason people weren't nearly as interested in Hall without Oates. And whenever he does stuff on his own it's "Here's Darryl Hall of Hall & Oates" and that has eaten at him ever since

Last edited:
But that's not a good enough reason.

You don't have some old photos with some questionable fashion choices for exactly that reason?

But now it's "what was I thinking?!"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom