Say it loud, say it proud! (1 Viewer)

O MAN

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Will the Saints add more starters to the current team from the draft or free agency for the '07 season? Personally, asking for another draft like '06 may be a bit strong. I'd like to see us take advantage of the positive image that we have currently and get two or three top F/A at cb , TE and possibly DT, if we have the money. Why bring this up with seven games to play in '06? Why not?

The draft is still the place to build your team, IMO.

Agreed, but the question is for starter in '07. This year we have had 3 or 4 starters playing from the '06 draft. In '07, I don't see us finding a starting cb in the draft. My current thinking is that another Brees like signing at te and cb will place on the top tier of NFL teams. It will also place us at the top in personnel expense. Regardless, the remaining of the '06 season should determine the future of our starting cb, dt, te and possibly a lb and wr --strong requirements for an '06 team that hopes to make it to the platoffs and superbowl. When one looks at the changes in '06 and the requirements of the near future of this football team our current season is almost beyond belief. GO SAINTS!

In addition to the draft picks that are starting, don't forget to add in the draft day moves that resulted in a couple more. And the direct result of one pick getting us a starting linebacker.

There are quite a few guys I've seen that I'd like to pick up in the draft, but I agree - we need some to build the team for the long run, but we need some to start next year. If we can build a top 5 defense and our offense remains as stout as it is, there won't be any stopping us next year.

CB Clemons from Buffalo and TE Gonzalez from KC (i think they are both free agents next year)...I believe these would be hugh upgrades. Clemons is young and would start for years and Gonzalez probably has a good 3-4 years left at least.

Agreed, but the question is for starter in '07. This year we have had 3 or 4 starters playing from the '06 draft. In '07, I don't see us finding a starting cb in the draft. My current thinking is that another Brees like signing at te and cb will place on the top tier of NFL teams. It will also place us at the top in personnel expense. Regardless, the remaining of the '06 season should determine the future of our starting cb, dt, te and possibly a lb and wr --strong requirements for an '06 team that hopes to make it to the platoffs and superbowl. When one looks at the changes in '06 and the requirements of the near future of this football team our current season is almost beyond belief. GO SAINTS!

I agree with you O-Man. The Saints may not be in draft position to get a ready to go NFL cover corner prospect from the draft to start immediately. They may have to get a high profile free agent CB to come in and give fresh legs in the secondary for 2007. However, I also agree that we should draft the best corner left in the draft with our first pick because we are very thin at that position.

After what happened this year, I'm surprised to hear you guys continue to say that you don't think we will be able to find a CB in the draft that would be able to start for us next year. Consider the following: 7th round pick Marques Colston(ROOKIE) starts and bumps Donte Stallworth a 3 yr. vet. off the team. Jahri Evans(ROOKIE) starts at RG on an offensive line that has only given up 9 sacks(Best in the League). Alvin Harper(ROOKIE)starter on defense until lost for season with injury and with him the team was 5-1. Reggie Bush(ROOKIE)starting decoy, WR and back up RB. Zack Strief(ROOKIE)started in place of 2nd year pro LT Jamal Brown and shut out Simeon Rice in a victory in Tampa. And I do feel that barring the injury to Rob Ninkovich that he would have played a lot more in our rotation as well. I could go on to name players on other teams like Chris Gamble, anyone remember how bad we wanted this guy? What I'm saying is, there have been too many examples of players drafted and going to teams, starting and doing very well and having great careers. I know it hasn't happened that much here but I think things are changing in our talent evaluation.

we got lucky I think with this draft in finding very good players at later rounds. I wouldn't plan on the Saints to strike it rich like that every year. I hope we can find one or two starters in the draft next year. I hope we can get a decent corner and linebacker. Also maybe check out the FA market and get some good help there. Even though I like the upgrade on the backers I think we need better backers.

CB Clemons from Buffalo and TE Gonzalez from KC (i think they are both free agents next year)...I believe these would be hugh upgrades. Clemons is young and would start for years and Gonzalez probably has a good 3-4 years left at least.

Thank you -- youcread my mind, or should I say, we are thinking similarly.

Another offseason thread? Whoa. I don't think we can discuss this enough, seriously.

Priority 1: Re-sign Charles Grant
...2: address the cornerback position
3: address the MLB position
4: draft depth at CB, WR, LB, and along the DL
5: pick up a TE if it means improving the position.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom