Say Something Tom (1 Viewer)

St. PJ

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Mr. Benson,

How does it feel? You don't have much time left on this earth, and after finally getting that Hall Of Fame Super Bowl Winning Face of The Franchise caliber quarter back who gives you the chance every year of reaching the pinnacle as an owner, you lose one of those years because Roger Goodell and the 31 other owners needed a scapegoat, a PR win, a dirty WMD to throw out to the public in hope of looking like they care for player safety.

In other words, you just got ******. If that wasn't bad enough, Roger Goodell continues to rub your nose in the ****. After every shred of so called evidence has been disproved at best and showed as contradicting as worst, after the former commissioner and a federal judge have gone on the record that Roger Goodell gave a punishment that exponentially exceeded the crime, and after a tumultuous season of Drew Brees in his prime was wasted, Roger Goodell still finds it necessary to **** you.

The damage was done after the first month of the 2012 season. The damage was done in very public fashion-- quite unfairly with manufactured, false "evidence"-- before the season ever began. Yet Goodell shouted lies louder and louder with increasing frequency, changing his vernacular and semantics when proven wrong. And he continues to do so to this very day.

The 2012 season ended for your team on December 30, 2012 when Carolina put the final nail in the coffin. Yet Roger Goodell still found it necessary to wait until all other teams with coaching vacancies hired new head coaches and most of their staff. Goodell found it necessary to keep Sean suspended until after Senior Bowl practices were already underway. He decided to keep his most unjust punishment in place until 29 other teams were already underway with their 2013 seasons.

And if that aint bad enough, Roger Goodell just gave you the finger on the second round choice he said he would consider giving back if you cooperated with him. In all the time that these punishments were in place, Sean Payton, Mickey Loomis, and YOU have kept your mouths shut and done all that was asked. Yet Roger Goodell still wants to grind an axe and **** you without mercy.

Are you just going to take it? I know hosting Super Bowls brings a lot of revenue to our city, and I know the NFL needs to look as good as possible for the much coveted TV revenues and the pending class action concussion lawsuits. I know you've taken one for the team. But I also know that despite this, Roger Goodell still finds it necessary to look like a hard ***.

I think it is past time you stood up for yourself, your staff, your team, your players and your community. I think its time you attack Roger Goodell and his veracity with as much zeal and publicity as he as you. I think it is time you performed a character assassination. It is time you get on the phone (or plane) and get 23 other owners to find it in their hearts and best interest to make sure you get back a COUPLE of draft choices for recompense, along with another hosting of the Super Bowl in the next available year. I think its time you made threats to go public and blow some **** up for everyone unless they do right by you.

It's time for payback, and you have the power to bring 31 other owners to their knees. Use it.

Mail this letter to as many people in the organization as possible.

I'm right there with ya man. Although I got flamed for showing my displeasure with how Benson handled this situation, so I'm not sure how this forum will take this post. Either way, I agree, time for Benson to do anything. ANYTHING. We literally have nothing to lose. All our coaches have taken their punishment, our players have been cleared, we aren't getting our draft pick back, and we won't get another super bowl in our house for many more years. What do we have to lose....

very well said. This has been my biggest question through this. Roger has basically made him look impotent to the situation. And with that appearance, how many other things might he get steamrolled on. Wish there was a way we could all sign it and then let you send it up there.

Maybe don't start with the not so subtle reminder of the man's impending mortality

I never thought the "you're gonna die soon" was the most effective salutation, but ymmv

If only someone close to the Bensons could talk Tom into buying ad space during the SB to present his side .... all those watching eyes!

Tom Benson has been disrespected and screwed over in his day by far more powerful and important people than Roger Goodell. He's a lot more savvy and aggressive than people give him credit for. And he doesn't lower himself to the level of others. It takes a lot of character to refrain from speaking out merely to make other people feel a certain way about you. I think he would attack Goodell in the press if he thought it would do any good. You can bet he has made his feelings known in circles we are not privvy to.

I understand the sentiment regarding Benson and don't disagree with it. Unless you're in his shoes, it's hard to know what he has seen, heard and said behind closed doors. You don't want to overplay the hand you have and you don't want to screw up the long term viability of the organization. The NFL isn't a normal business, and there are likely tons of politics involved with this among the owners. Benson has to tread carefully and protect the Saints organization and he has to deal with the other owners. This isn't just about him either, it's about leaving a legacy for Rita, or whoever takes over future ownership.

The Goodell problem will only last as long as he is Commish. Time will tell how long he will stay in power. And it's not going to be easy. Other owners likely don't care much that Benson lost a draft pick. Other owners probably don't even care that Goodell was on the wrong side of the bountygate fiasco. They care about protecting their investments and the concussion lawsuits which is all about $$$.

I don't see anything else the Saints can do. I suppose they could try to get the full transcripts of the Tags hearings leaked, but even then, I don't think it would do much good. Our best chance to tag Goodell was for the defamation case filed by Vilma to go to discovery, but that was no-go for Berrigan, not surprisingly. She didn't have much choice.

It sucks, but unless Benson has some major surprise in the works, we'll just have to be gracious hosts to the SB and NFL in general, but signs expressing our disgust with Goodell everywhere is about the only thing left we can do.

I understand the sentiment regarding Benson and don't disagree with it. Unless you're in his shoes, it's hard to know what he has seen, heard and said behind closed doors. You don't want to overplay the hand you have and you don't want to screw up the long term viability of the organization. The NFL isn't a normal business, and there are likely tons of politics involved with this among the owners. Benson has to tread carefully and protect the Saints organization and he has to deal with the other owners. This isn't just about him either, it's about leaving a legacy for Rita, or whoever takes over future ownership.

The Goodell problem will only last as long as he is Commish. Time will tell how long he will stay in power. And it's not going to be easy. Other owners likely don't care much that Benson lost a draft pick. Other owners probably don't even care that Goodell was on the wrong side of the bountygate fiasco. They care about protecting their investments and the concussion lawsuits which is all about $$$.

I don't see anything else the Saints can do. I suppose they could try to get the full transcripts of the Tags hearings leaked, but even then, I don't think it would do much good. Our best chance to tag Goodell was for the defamation case filed by Vilma to go to discovery, but that was no-go for Berrigan, not surprisingly. She didn't have much choice.

It sucks, but unless Benson has some major surprise in the works, we'll just have to be gracious hosts to the SB and NFL in general, but signs expressing our disgust with Goodell everywhere is about the only thing left we can do.

I think a threat made clear to Roger Goodell and all owners that "I will spend every nickle and dime I have until I die to make sure the media knows ____ and the public knows ____ unless you _____" with "I don't care what it will do to the leagues image; you declared war on me and my team. I played fair, and you continue to screw me-- unless you give me ____, I will have my vengeance if its the last thing I do" would go a long way.

He can start a ****storm if he wanted to and go places that would damage the NFL and all 31 owners. He has leverage. He has truth. He has a bone to pick. He's tried the nice way. And best of all, at the end of the day he could just claim he's going senile and be forgiven!

Its not like were asking to play the 2012 season over again. Just give us a fair chance in 2013. That would include our 2nd round choice along with a couple of compensatory 3rd round choices in lieu of the free agents we lost --that compensatory formula is complicated, I'm sure it can be messaged behind the scenes with the blessing of other owners; along with a guarantee to host the next available Super Bowl, we have a deal.

I agree with the spirit of your letter if not the written word of it. It's a bit harsh. "You don't have much time left on this earth." Not very subtle.

However, I agree that he should bring as much pressure to bear on Goodell behind the scenes as possible. Remember that Tom Benson is a defendant in the concussion lawsuits and probably has more to lose monetarily there than he does on the field with the loss of 2 second round picks. You, me, and most (all) Saints fans don't like that Benson can't publicly put Goodell in his place. But after reading how Goodell's goon treated Benson in his own office, I have little doubt that he will do everything possible to get the pick back.

Also remember this. These stories will be in tomorrows edition of the TP (if they're printing on Tuesday during SB week). The SB is the biggest media circus known to the sports world. You gotta believe that all the media is reading the local paper while they're in town. I think Mr. Cerullo will get drug through the coals a time or two by some of the national media before the week is up. But not by Peter King. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that King and Cerullo were brothers-in-law.

I'm hoping that this story will open the eyes of some of the media who still have their heads up Roger Goodell's *** that the punishment didn't fit the crime. Here's hoping.

He hired Louis Freeh. I suspect that's his way of saying something.

I mean Benson is quiet. Its ike you can't even hear a rat licking cheese he so quiet!! Look like Goodell have the power and he is punking all the owners. They need to stand up. Where you at Benson. What i dont understand is how Tags can rule on one thing and not another. SMH...NFL is full of ****!!!!

BENSON.....:aargh:

I mean Benson is quiet. Its ike you can't even hear a rat licking cheese he so quiet!! Look like Goodell have the power and he is punking all the owners. They need to stand up. Where you at Benson. What i dont understand is how Tags can rule on one thing and not another. SMH...NFL is full of ****!!!!

BENSON.....:aargh:

no you are wrong about punking all the owners and that is the core of my issue with this. There is no doubt in most peoples minds that there are a handful of them that this would not have been aired at all.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom