SB 2014 situation getting out of hand (1 Viewer)

The cold will have no impact on a game unless it's in the teens or single digits.
NY, along with the north east, has had mild winters for the last 2 years. This is the first time we had double digit snow totals since january 2011.

At the end of the day, both teams have to deal with the weather.

January 2011 was two years ago. You aren't helping your case.

Your asking for something impossible. Clearly a dome team built around the pass has a disadvantage up north against a weather team built around the run and stout defense. But its the same in reverse. That northern team would be at a disadvantage in a dome against a finesse team built around the pass.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

No, Sir.

What Im asking for is for Weather, Venue, Crowd etc to only count for something/have impact, in the pre/post season...the two teams have already proven they can overcome these considerations. In the Super Bowl, it should simply measure the quality of the two teams/coaching staff/scheme. All else should be neutral.

Not impossible...clearly.

The venue does give teams advantages/disadvantages. I'm okay with the NY/NJ experiment, though, this flex schedule is lame. Have a contingency for a major, major storm where power outages and travel are impossible, but if the game can be played, then play it. If it is bitterly cold and windy, well, a team that can grind a running game will have the advantage over a passing team. Bottom line - you wanted this, then play it as it comes. You knew the possibilities when selecting the site.

As for the pre-game hoopla, well it may suffer severely.

I prefer some warm weather SBs myself.

But you still have some great cold weather championships including....

The famous Steve Van Buren Blizzard Game where he thought the game was Cancelled.

The 1960 Championship Game played in Philly was Lombardis only Post Season loss.

"The Greatest Game Ever Played" was played in NY in December.

Attachments

• original.jpg
    original.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 539w.jpg
    539w.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 130914640-08184522.jpg
    130914640-08184522.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 4
It's called extrapolating data

That's how almost every study is done in the world

You take an available sample size and extrapolate it to fit the remaining population

If that many people support a snowy Super Bowl, it's safe to assume the numbers will remain similar if everyone were to vote

Btw I didn't vote on that poll and it echoes my sentiments so it seems pretty legit to me

Uh, study? A dyeing show's TV poll is a "study"? Ok.

Uh, study? A dyeing show's TV poll is a "study"? Ok.

its a poll done on ESPN.com which is far from a dying website

i didnt expect that poll to get rave reviews here on SR which is a website dedicated to a team that resides in the only state that voted against a cold weather super bowl

but i do expect some people to open their eyes to the reality of the situation.......that louisiana is the ONLY state that views the super bowl in cold weather as a problem

there may be people around the country that dont approve, but there werent enough to sway even 1 other state aside from louisiana to vote against it

I agree with this understanding, BUT when the few limited amount of just "regular fans" are attending the game and are paying prices for tickets that are for many an extravagant one time deal, the game should only be played in a stadium with the most ideal conditions. Forget the players as they certainly have played in the most harsh weather conditions known. They play the game knowing one day they will have to play in extreme weather. But when planning for the biggest one day show on earth, only the most optimum of venues for weather conditions should be considered.

Back in the beginning of NFL Championships and Superbowls, it was different. Lack of popularity by sponsors and attended and supported by the general fan. Now it is all about corporate money. How many corporate and celebrity bigwigs will be sitting in those seats in NJ next year if the weather is extreme? Probably half-empty seats for the most expensive seats. The fans will be there because of the inflated and outrageous price they paid. What a site it will be with a half-empty stadium. Something I am sure the NFL is dreading.

We shall see.
That's right! It's about ratings and money period. SF is looking to build a new stadium. Will hold approx 70000 ppl. 48000 of those will be in the plaza! Did you see that???? 48000 out of 70000 in plaza! That's like what? Around 60%? You know why they're trying to put more seats in plaza? To MAKE MORE MONEY! Ppl enjoy going to a game. If they can pack more ppl into it on plaza, that's more they can charge just for being there.

Prime example: Saints renovation. I'm on away side sect 111 row 34. Seats 5&6. What happens? They renovate to get MORE seats into plaza. They don't care who it affects because if they did? They'd have notified me that my seats would move from the 20yrd line to the 4 yrd line and beneath the tunnel to watch a TV for about 90% of the game. But you know what? They didn't care one bit how it affected me. When I called to complain AFTER I went to 1st preseason game to find how crappy I had it, they simply said they were sorry. Hey! They already had my money! Right? But I will give it to them that they "tried to make it better" by the following yr to move me. Thing is I wanted terrace level and that's a pipe dream. Only thing they can offer anyone is plaza. Charge ridiculously for seats either no one wants or can't afford.

Find one corporation who gives a damn about the general public and ill show you a company that nets zero profit or is in the vicinity of going broke.

Regardless it's a cruddy Super Bowl site, not like people can walk to downtown manhattan like they could stumble onto bourbon street or Frenchman. This wasn't thought out other then showcasing a stadium.

its a poll done on ESPN.com which is far from a dying website

i didnt expect that poll to get rave reviews here on SR which is a website dedicated to a team that resides in the only state that voted against a cold weather super bowl

but i do expect some people to open their eyes to the reality of the situation.......that louisiana is the ONLY state that views the super bowl in cold weather as a problem

there may be people around the country that dont approve, but there werent enough to sway even 1 other state aside from louisiana to vote against it

Oh....kay...

A team should play in any atmosphere. Rain sleet or snow makes it interesting. If we were to go into New York and lose in cold weather again, it'd mean one thing. Brees is like manning. Chokes in cold weather games. Or that we're too finessed to play rugged ball. Too spoiled. The tougher team should win. And that's what happens much of the time.

Oh....kay...

Let me take a guess where you live

It's clearly biased on this website. I know arguing with fans from Louisiana about moving the Super Bowl is an uphill battle but you should know that Louisiana is the ONLY state that wouldn't enjoy a snowy Super Bowl

It's time for a reality check

To play devil's advocate on this topic....

I think it's a cool, one time deal. Football was made to be played in the cold and tons of great, memorable games have come from cold/inclement weather.

Well if you go back to 1920, the pro football season ended on Dec 11. From there till 1932, the latest game was Dec 18. Once the playoff system was adopted, the games slowly crawled up to Christmas week in 1943 and then Jan 1 in 1965. More and more games meant longer seasons, until they finally pushed the Superbowl into February in 2004 (2002 was pushed into February by 9/11). Anyone who lives up north knows the harshest cold comes in late January and all of February.

By contrast, the college football regular season is finished in early December. I'd say football was invented to be played in cool temperatures.. I don't think it was ever meant to be moved up to the insane sub-freezing months in an outdoor stadium.

Regardless it's a cruddy Super Bowl site, not like people can walk to downtown manhattan like they could stumble onto bourbon street or Frenchman. This wasn't thought out other then showcasing a stadium.

I think that a lot of stadiums have this kind of problem. I am :smilielol: thinking about people trying to drive from East Rutherford to Manhattan. That's bad enough on an ordinary day. Better allow about an hour and a half and be prepared to shell out a small fortune for the Lincoln Tunnel. On the upside, I'll bet there will be extra buses, and thousands of them will jam the tunnel--so it's not going to be easy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom