SB 2014 situation getting out of hand (1 Viewer)

WhoDat2010

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
NFL mulling Super Bowl XLVIII backup plans -- report - ESPN New York

Am I the only one that gets bent out of shape for putting it in the cold? Why does Goodell get to pick and choose the rules to follow? Isn't there a rule that the weather must be 50 degrees or warmer at kickoff to host the big game?

I understand that the NFL wants to promote the building of new stadiums, and awarding super bowls is a way to generate revenue to pay for them. But if they don't build a retractable roof then the people who paid to build it should be out of luck.

I hope there are major problems next year (without impacting the Saints) so they look stupid for doing this.

Makes a minor power outage look pretty minor, doesn't it? And that garnered a lot of media scrutiny. Can you imagine what would have been said if New Orleans had to reschedule the game instead of a thirty minute delay?...

To play devil's advocate on this topic....

I think it's a cool, one time deal. Football was made to be played in the cold and tons of great, memorable games have come from cold/inclement weather.

I think it's a cool, one time deal. Football was made to be played in the cold and tons of great, memorable games have come from cold/inclement weather.

I agree that football is a game to be played in the extremities. To me that is great in the regular season and the playoffs. However, I don't think its fair that the super bowl would be played in an environment that could give one team an edge over the other. For example, the Saints. We don't play well in the cold :ezbill:

And keep this in mind. Those epic games in the cold are typically between two northern teams. I don't think there would be much epicness going on if teams from the South get to the show.

Perhaps I am still sour for bounty gate and am viewing this too harshly... IDK

Have to agree with this.

Still, a superbowl is as much the game itself as the week before it..i don't see many sbs played in cold weather

I don't like it, I think we would be singing a different tune should the Saints find themselves in this game and the weather is a factor which results in us losing the superbowl. I think the weather in that 06 Chicago NFCCG is a major reason why we lost, the team was just completely off that game.

I agree with this understanding, BUT when the few limited amount of just "regular fans" are attending the game and are paying prices for tickets that are for many an extravagant one time deal, the game should only be played in a stadium with the most ideal conditions. Forget the players as they certainly have played in the most harsh weather conditions known. They play the game knowing one day they will have to play in extreme weather. But when planning for the biggest one day show on earth, only the most optimum of venues for weather conditions should be considered.

Back in the beginning of NFL Championships and Superbowls, it was different. Lack of popularity by sponsors and attended and supported by the general fan. Now it is all about corporate money. How many corporate and celebrity bigwigs will be sitting in those seats in NJ next year if the weather is extreme? Probably half-empty seats for the most expensive seats. The fans will be there because of the inflated and outrageous price they paid. What a site it will be with a half-empty stadium. Something I am sure the NFL is dreading.

We shall see.

the owners hired this idiot, and they will suffer for it, hopefully the Saints suffering at his hand will end, and he will just mess up the whole league. I think in a few years they will figure out their mistake.

the way I see it.. we're guaranteed to make it to the Superbowl next season. And we'll have to play it in New Jersey, and it's gonna be 5 degrees and snowing.. Because that's just my luck.

Who Dat!?

:gosaints:

IMO, this is a one time deal because its New York. The NFL would not be going through all the trouble for another city.

NFL mulling Super Bowl XLVIII backup plans -- report - ESPN New York

Am I the only one that gets bent out of shape for putting it in the cold? Why does Goodell get to pick and choose the rules to follow? Isn't there a rule that the weather must be 50 degrees or warmer at kickoff to host the big game?

I understand that the NFL wants to promote the building of new stadiums, and awarding super bowls is a way to generate revenue to pay for them. But if they don't build a retractable roof then the people who paid to build it should be out of luck.

I hope there are major problems next year (without impacting the Saints) so they look stupid for doing this.

Makes a minor power outage look pretty minor, doesn't it? And that garnered a lot of media scrutiny. Can you imagine what would have been said if New Orleans had to reschedule the game instead of a thirty minute delay?...

Do that mean we won't be playing in the SB? :hihi:

Do that mean we won't be playing in the SB? :hihi:

I believe we are going. I want the Saints to win another SB next year, but I also want the NFL to look stupid for putting the SB in this location. If that perfect combination pans out next year, I will be really satisfied :ezbill:

The Super Bowl is supposed to be played on a neutral ground and should not favor anyone.

A Super Bowl in NYC clearly favors a cold team overall. It's going to be a crappy Super Bowl if it's someone like Pittsburgh vs Minnesota. I use them as an example because it would be a dome team vs a cold weather built team.

The only reason it's even in NY is the money. That's all it is about. If they could make more money putting it in San Diego they would do it.

Oh and dont forget. There is a possibility of not having a halftime show!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom