Scarlett Johansson standing up for herself for the roles she has played. (1 Viewer)

IntenseSaint

Powhatan Power
Reaction score
Sticky Post

Amazing how she is getting attacked for this.

SAINTSFAN

Contributor
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
in this live version do the bankers not let Tiana buy the property bc she's white?
are the bankers black? is Dr facilier white?
you're going to have to come up with a MUCH better example, which you won't be able to bc it will be the same difficulty with Mulan/white or Jasmine/white or Pocahontas/white
those are cultural roles and the race/nationality is central to the character
there is no mermaid race
So, in your mind an criticism or questioning is only about race and not as simple as a character already being depicted one way in the original story and the highly popular animated version and changed in the live action version?

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In my mind, I still haven't decided what I think about this thread.

The only thing I know for sure is that ScarJo is hot.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This whole thing is silly. This whole time I was under the impression that an actor's merit is based on their ability to play a range of characters and make them believable to the audience? Isn't that what 'acting' is? Pretending to be something you're not for the purpose of entertainment?
as i stated earlier it's really not her problem that she should be addressing
the problem is with producers and casting agents (and writers and directors)
but she was asked a leading question that she stumbled over (SS disagrees, i still think it was a stumble) and then she brought more nuance and understanding to her answer

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
as i stated earlier it's really not her problem that she should be addressing
the problem is with producers and casting agents (and writers and directors)
but she was asked a leading question that she stumbled over (SS disagrees, i still think it was a stumble) and then she brought more nuance and understanding to her answer
It seems to me she stumbled in the sense that she wasn't anticipating the question and was still fomulating her response on the fly a bit. Can't really blame her for that.

Sometimes I need a little time to come up with a good answer to a complex question. Heck, I'll even change my position as I come up with an answer. We can't have nice, tidy answers to every question we get asked.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So, in your mind an criticism or questioning is only about race and not as simple as a character already being depicted one way in the original story and the highly popular animated version and changed in the live action version?
opposite of that
traditionally the call would have gone out for an Ariel and casting agents would have sent "the best choices available" (and they would all have been white)
in this instance, my guess is Disney sent out a casting call searching for 'all ethnicities' or some better phrasing - and made their choice from a wide open pool

had casting always been like this, we wouldn't be having this discussion -but since much of hollywood has been black-, brown- or yellow-face casting in predominately white stories we are now in a course correction so of course the status quo warriors are in their feels (that last was for antipop)

Mr. Sparkle

Disrespectful to dirt
Reaction score
Ooh OK now this should be fun - lets do Hollywood stars that look nothing like their real life characters...

Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter and Denzel

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It seems to me she stumbled in the sense that she wasn't anticipating the question and was still fomulating her response on the fly a bit. Can't really blame her for that.

Sometimes I need a little time to come up with a good answer to a complex question. Heck, I'll even change my position as I come up with an answer. We can't have nice, tidy answers to every question we get asked.
agreed
and i probably sounded like i was anti Scarjo at the beginning (though hopefully i've qualified that enough to make clear that my issue is not with her, it's the broader concern of representation on screen)

of course status quo will want to hunker down on the 'theory' that any actor can play any role - this is a take that almost certainly comes from people who have seen themselves represented on screen and in print for the entirety of their lives

i would ask them to consider what it would be like for a trans person in these transphobic times, to see a trans person tell their story vs scarjo or olympia dukakis or jeffrey tambor

Mr. Sparkle

Disrespectful to dirt
Reaction score
i would ask them to consider what it would be like for a trans person in these transphobic times, to see a trans person tell their story vs scarjo or olympia dukakis or jeffrey tambor
Serious question - are we not living in the least transphobic era of recorded history? I mean we barely had a polite word to describe "transgender" until recently. The idea of "Who would play you in the movie?" is about as first world as problems get.

farfromsilent

Rookie
Reaction score
opposite of that
traditionally the call would have gone out for an Ariel and casting agents would have sent "the best choices available" (and they would all have been white)
in this instance, my guess is Disney sent out a casting call searching for 'all ethnicities' or some better phrasing - and made their choice from a wide open pool

had casting always been like this, we wouldn't be having this discussion -but since much of hollywood has been black-, brown- or yellow-face casting in predominately white stories we are now in a course correction so of course the status quo warriors are in their feels (that last was for antipop)
You are completely ignoring the source material that the movie or show is based on though. The author had a certain vision of what that character looks like for whatever reason that may be. Audience members get attached to these characters because of how they identify with them. The issue is that they are not trying to make movies or shows that are based on literature with characters that minority audiences associate with. Instead they want to change something that an audience has already grown attached to thus disassociating the attachment they had to that character. We should promote new stories with characters that are already implemented that way in the source material.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom