Scarlett Johansson standing up for herself for the roles she has played. (1 Viewer)

So, yes, I think you can absolutely cast BD Wong as Hamlet and have an absolutely "faithful to the writings of Shakespeare" of the play.

Really? You would make a movie about a Danish prince in medieval times and cast an Asian as a the Danish prince?

Really? You would make a movie about a Danish prince in medieval times and cast an Asian as a the Danish prince?
that wasn't your question
you were specifically asking about faithfulness to shakespeare's play and Oye and I both explained how that's not really a thing
(plus he never left england - what did he know about denmark or rome or greece or any of the other places he set his plays?)

Yes. Because the play isn't about a Danish prince in medieval times. To be 'faithful' to Hamlet and Shakespeare doesn't require that.

That's been my entire point.

The play is about the human condition.

BD Wong is human. So is Mel Gibson. So is Kenneth Branagh. So is Papaa Essiedu.

None of them are Danish.

If you want to argue Strict Adherence to The Title Role With Regard To Chronological And National, Historical Accuracy then none of them could play Hamlet.

I'm saying they all can. And ScarJo can play whoever the hell she wants, too.

Even Hamlet.

Maybe there's a science fiction version waiting to happen which has an extraterrestrial playing Hamlet and it could work. Now we're getting in more precarious territory and a discussion of Who or What Can Play Hamlet becomes more fixed.

carry on with your shirtless slap boxing

Hamlet is life and death!

I didn't even care about this discussion until then, but now that we are here, get ready to take off your shirt, son.

And let's find us a Chili's parking lot!

that show also has a non-trans dude that plays a trans woman

oh the huge manatee

carry on with your shirtless slap boxing
usually your posts, while overly verbose, carry the conversation forward and offer pith and insight that bring fresh air and new perspectives to anything we discuss
(the above was not sarcasm in any way shape of form)
but i fail to see what point you're trying to make - because Mickey Rooney played a chinese character in Breakfast at Tiffanys then it's ok for ScarJo to play one?

Poor Tony Randall must be rolling in his grave.

51FYjXENy8L._SX342_.jpg

usually your posts, while overly verbose, carry the conversation forward and offer pith and insight that bring fresh air and new perspectives to anything we discuss
(the above was not sarcasm in any way shape of form)

i am sorry you feel that way about my posts...it has never been my intention to carry any conversation forward...i'm just here to entertain myself

but i fail to see what point you're trying to make - because Mickey Rooney played a chinese character in Breakfast at Tiffanys then it's ok for ScarJo to play one?

there is such an obvious difference in the way that Goggins played Venus versus the way that Rooney played the Chinese landlord

i'll keep my shirt on

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom