Scarlett Johansson standing up for herself for the roles she has played. (1 Viewer)

Representation for representation's sake?

I am currently watching a series on Netflix about a U.S. citizen involved in the drug trade who crosses into México running from the police, and ends up becoming a higher up in a cartel. The series shifts back and forth from Sonora/SInaloa to Arizona. None of the actors are U.S. citizens. Should there be representation from U.S. citizens?

What's the name of the series?

Representation for representation's sake?

I am currently watching a series on Netflix about a U.S. citizen involved in the drug trade who crosses into México running from the police, and ends up becoming a higher up in a cartel. The series shifts back and forth from Sonora/SInaloa to Arizona. None of the actors are U.S. citizens. Should there be representation from U.S. citizens?
are you arguing that us citizens are underrepresented in the media?

It's not political correctness anymore. There needs to be another term for it, maybe alt-PC, I don't know.
backlash gatekeeping
but it's about as much a thing as false rape claims
yes they exist, but the hand wringing to try to find an equivalency misses the mark by a WHOLE bunch

are you arguing that us citizens are underrepresented in the media?

Come on, man. I am not arguing that, at all. You asked me if I thought representation is important, but gave no context to the question, so I want you to clarify, if what you meant was representation for representation's sake (as it would be the in the case I cited) or if I should I take into consideration other factors.

The above post was actually a comment about how seriously people take themselves these days.

Downy Jr. (I used the obvious Johansson connection) played a comedic role and I had no problem with it.

The movie came out in 2008 and there was a little grumbling about it. I wonder how it would be received today. Or if it would have been made the same way?

I do have a problem with actors playing other races in most cases (social commentary or comedic purposes are two exceptions).

My point is PC is quickly replacing common sense in society.
to make this claim is to say that PC's efforts to have fairness in 'media' has largely been attained and SJW's are overreaching
it's similar to the argument that slavery has been over for 150 years so if they haven't attained equality then *shrug*
it's stunning that we can have Trump tweeting to 4 congresspeople that they need to go back to their own country - a significant portion of the population & political class are like *shrug* and then saying PC is passe
we have a llloooooonnnggggggg way to go before we're anywhere close to equity

Come on, man. I am not arguing that, at all. You asked me if I thought representation is important, but gave no context to the question, so I want you to clarify, if what you meant was representation for representation's sake (as it would be the in the case I cited) or if I should I take into consideration other factors.
to my previous comparison about housing, we're discussing fair housing and notice a family of color move into a white neighborhood and your question is 'if we're being fair, should that go to a white family?'
you're not making a good faith argument

to my previous comparison about housing, we're discussing fair housing and notice a family of color move into a white neighborhood and your question is 'if we're being fair, should that go to a white family?'
But we are not talking about housing, and that's a terrible analogy - heck, not even analogous - to acting and actors playing roles.

If I noticed a family of color moving into a white neighborhood, I wouldn't have any questions at all.

But we are not talking about housing, and that's a terrible analogy - heck, not even analogous - to acting and actors playing roles.

If I noticed a family of color moving into a white neighborhood, I wouldn't have any questions at all.
the analogy is that historically there was redlining that kept families of color out of white neighborhoods - and to comment on current housing woes without knowing that context is hell naive
similarly to claim that hollywood is now over PC without considering the context of it being #oscarssowhite is also myopic
to talk about the 'theory' that scarjo can play any role without acknowledging the historical context is a bit of an empty talk

to make this claim is to say that PC's efforts to have fairness in 'media' has largely been attained and SJW's are overreaching
it's similar to the argument that slavery has been over for 150 years so if they haven't attained equality then *shrug*
it's stunning that we can have Trump tweeting to 4 congresspeople that they need to go back to their own country - a significant portion of the population & political class are like *shrug* and then saying PC is passe
we have a llloooooonnnggggggg way to go before we're anywhere close to equity

To throw Trump and slavery at me is certainly a stretch.

I believe it's pretty obvious what I was saying. No need to add to it for argument's sake.

I am tired of so many people smelling a fire when if they used common sense, they would realize they left the popcorn cooking too long in the microwave.

the analogy is that historically there was redlining that kept families of color out of white neighborhoods - and to comment on current housing woes without knowing that context is hell naive
Which current housing woes are you referring to? Why am I going into this tangent? Why can't we just talk about the subject at hand?

similarly to claim that hollywood is now over PC without considering the context of it being #oscarssowhite is also myopic
I'm going to put on my Guido hat: are you saying that being non-white should be a consideration for winning an Oscar?

But seriously, is winning an Oscar the ultimate show of acceptance?

to talk about the 'theory' that scarjo can play any role without acknowledging the historical context is a bit of an empty talk
She doesn't have to acknowledge a darned thing. White people don't have to flagellate themselves every time they open their mouths.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom