Scarlett Johansson standing up for herself for the roles she has played. (2 Viewers)

This whole thing is silly. This whole time I was under the impression that an actor's merit is based on their ability to play a range of characters and make them believable to the audience? Isn't that what 'acting' is? Pretending to be something you're not for the purpose of entertainment?

That’s not going to stop guido from collecting his daily woke points

But no. Clearly no housekeepers, nannies, or landscapers in California are illegals.
And even if they are not illegals, there is the possibility of harassment just because how the look,or they may not be able to produce ihre papiere because they keep their green card in a safe place at home; do you think the nice I.C.E. agent is going to drive them home to prove they have one, or toss them on the bus and take them to processing?

And even if they are not illegals, there is the possibility of harassment just because how the look,or they may not be able to produce ihre papiere because they keep their green card in a safe place at home; do you think the nice I.C.E. agent is going to drive them home to prove they have one, or toss them on the bus and take them to processing?
Are you saying that the government wouldn’t have a copy of the document they issued and they are also requesting?

Are you saying that the government wouldn’t have a copy of the document they issued and they are also requesting?

The government? Sure. The I.C.E. officer at the checkpoint in the middle of the street? Maybe, maybe not.

But it goes way beyond that. It's a freaking checkpoint, where they will be stopping brown people. Broken English, no ID, name on ID slightly different from the green card name, not looking quite the same in the database picture as in your ID... lots of things can lead to very uncomfortable situations.

in this live version do the bankers not let Tiana buy the property bc she's white?
are the bankers black? is Dr facilier white?
you're going to have to come up with a MUCH better example, which you won't be able to bc it will be the same difficulty with Mulan/white or Jasmine/white or Pocahontas/white
those are cultural roles and the race/nationality is central to the character
there is no mermaid race
So, in your mind an criticism or questioning is only about race and not as simple as a character already being depicted one way in the original story and the highly popular animated version and changed in the live action version?

In my mind, I still haven't decided what I think about this thread.

The only thing I know for sure is that ScarJo is hot.

This whole thing is silly. This whole time I was under the impression that an actor's merit is based on their ability to play a range of characters and make them believable to the audience? Isn't that what 'acting' is? Pretending to be something you're not for the purpose of entertainment?
as i stated earlier it's really not her problem that she should be addressing
the problem is with producers and casting agents (and writers and directors)
but she was asked a leading question that she stumbled over (SS disagrees, i still think it was a stumble) and then she brought more nuance and understanding to her answer

q1twljt5qpa31.jpg

as i stated earlier it's really not her problem that she should be addressing
the problem is with producers and casting agents (and writers and directors)
but she was asked a leading question that she stumbled over (SS disagrees, i still think it was a stumble) and then she brought more nuance and understanding to her answer

It seems to me she stumbled in the sense that she wasn't anticipating the question and was still fomulating her response on the fly a bit. Can't really blame her for that.

Sometimes I need a little time to come up with a good answer to a complex question. Heck, I'll even change my position as I come up with an answer. We can't have nice, tidy answers to every question we get asked.

So, in your mind an criticism or questioning is only about race and not as simple as a character already being depicted one way in the original story and the highly popular animated version and changed in the live action version?
opposite of that
traditionally the call would have gone out for an Ariel and casting agents would have sent "the best choices available" (and they would all have been white)
in this instance, my guess is Disney sent out a casting call searching for 'all ethnicities' or some better phrasing - and made their choice from a wide open pool

had casting always been like this, we wouldn't be having this discussion -but since much of hollywood has been black-, brown- or yellow-face casting in predominately white stories we are now in a course correction so of course the status quo warriors are in their feels (that last was for antipop)

Ooh OK now this should be fun - lets do Hollywood stars that look nothing like their real life characters...

Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter and Denzel

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom