Scary Info on Why the Season May Not Take Place - from a Claimed Insider (17 Viewers)

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
Sticky Post
For the sake of board sanity, I am going to say that I got this info from "Coach" Guido. Here's what Guido told me today of behind the scenes discussions between players and their players' union, and between the players union and the NFL/owners.

"The chance of having a full season is getting more remote and I will get to the biggest reasons last.

1) The recent trend of the virus in quickly spreading to young people, many completely healthy, is scaring the players and their families and their coaches
2) Recent scientific discoveries that the virus, even in healthy people who get the virus, causes long-term harm to organs is compounding players' fear. No one knows the extent of this damage, but now that it's known to spread among healthy young people and create potentially serious long-term health damage to the players has the players becoming quite uptight
3) (Here's where it gets really interesting). With all the attention on racial discrimination, the NFL is very sensitive to anything that would make the NFL appear insensitive to racial injustice, especially when over 70% of the players are men of color
4) Where this comes into play is that nearly 1 in 5 black people suffer from sickle-cell anemia. This is a genetic serious illness. If players with sickle cell contract the virus, they are at serious risk of serious injury if not even death. The NFL is frightened that some top black players with sickle-cell will get the virus and get sick. Then the NFL fears they will have a public relations nightmare on their hands with the extreme attention on racial injustice.
5) Yes, Latinos cause a lot of diabetes by our eating habits, however, Latinos are born with one of the highest racial percentages of Type 2 diabetes. Like sickle-cell anemia, diabetes is a serious underlying health condition. And once again, like black athletes with sickle cell, Latinos risk of serious long-term illness and death is high
6) These are active conservations going on behind the scenes about insurance. Lloyds is the biggest insurer of professional athletes. The players are all trying to get higher insurance levels, as well as the teams. Lloyds has jacked the price of this type insurance through the roof making it less or nearly unaffordable to many of the lower-paid players and really expensive for the teams
7) Many coaches are very worried about the conditioning of their players showing up for camp. They know that the great majority of players will not show up in the condition desired to begin training camp and coaches are really afraid for the scale and severity of injuries if they play this season
8) Teams are running multiple scenarios of fielding teams based on various levels of virus outbreaks on their teams. With the NFL Coronovirus rules in place, there are multiple scenarios where a team may not have the players or may simply choose to forfeit for lack of quality starters and backups. Behind the scenes, a couple of coaches said it could be like playing with scab players during strikes or lockouts. And they worry about their top players who have heavy incentive-based contracts who get the virus. It's not a performance issue, yet it would dramatically impact those players' total compensation if they get the virus. Coaches are worried about this and the impact of top players attitudes impacting team chemistry.
Now, this is my personal opinion. When I just think of being HC for a college-level team today, as HC, I would be terrified for my players and coaches. If I had a vote and was still an HC, I would vote against playing college ball this year. And I can tell you for a fact that many pro coaches have the same fears for their players as well as coaches for themselves and their families.

But the NFL is about huge money as we all know and they want to make more. And the players like their money also. So they may very well start the season. But as soon as one or more teams cannot field a quality product because of the lack of players, the season could get canceled after some games are played. Likely, the owners would use the term "Suspend," hoping a cure is found.
Guido was wearing a saints workout T today. He said that if the season gets canceled, we may have sadly seen Brees last season. My Austin sources were telling me that Brees was leaning pretty heavy towards retiring after last season.

Let's hope this does not play-out as Coach Guido fears from his sources and experience. And No, Guido did not coach the Mad Magazine coed softball team - lol

Insurance

OP

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
Also just read this...

Points of Contention between Owners and Players Union over Starting the Season (or something like that...)

The NFLPA recognizes that lost revenues now will impact salary-cap calculations later, but the suggestion that any player should take less in a season during which players will be assuming a greater risk is nonsensical. Plenty of the men who play in 2020 won’t even be in the league in 2021, whether due to injury, retirement, or erosion of skills relative to younger, cheaper options. Why take less now (while absorbing all the risks of football in a pandemic) so that there will be more later, if the players who take less now won’t be around to get more later?

Taken together, these aren’t small issues. They are major points of contention that must be resolved before anything can happen. Meanwhile, rookies are due to report for COVID-19 testing in only nine days.

That leads us back to the point that J.J. Watt made earlier this week on #PFTPM: What’s the rush? It makes much more sense to get it right and delay things a bit than it does to rush into a headwind that could blow down what ultimately could be a house of cards.
Issues to Start the NFL This Season

dwid

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
You are correct. It’s nothing like the flu. It has wiped the flu out. Decreased influenza deaths by 80%. It’s a miracle!
not it didn't, flu deaths are up from last year and "unknown causes" or not classified has more than doubled..... yea that's not suspicious. Respiratory disease deaths also up more than any other year
IMG_20200725_161921.png

Noble Saint

Former NFL Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
not it didn't, flu deaths are up from last year and "unknown causes" or not classified has more than doubled..... yea that's not suspicious. Respiratory disease deaths also up more than any other year
IMG_20200725_161921.png
They can include pneumonia in it to boost the numbers how they want, but it’s misleading. I don’t have the exact numbers, and obviously this image doesn’t either, but flu season ended months ago and the deaths went from something like 80,000 to 25,000.

dwid

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
They can include pneumonia in it to boost the numbers how they want, but it’s misleading. I don’t have the exact numbers, and obviously this image doesn’t either, but flu season ended months ago and the deaths went from something like 80,000 to 25,000.
How is it misleading? It's data from the CDC and it includes pneumonia every year and I'm pretty sure that's how they've always listed it. Pneumonia often occurs as a complication from the flu. If anything, I think in the beginning covid deaths could have been easily classified under the flu/pneumonia category. People usually die from complications from the flu, secondary infections because of the hit the immune system takes so it's all lumped in together. Before this was well known I'm sure some of the deaths were incorrectly listed as caused by the flu.

Flu deaths may fluctuate but over the 5 year period it has never been more than 118 deaths per 1 million people. Let's say some flu deaths were actually listed as covid and it was closer to 120 deaths per million. (Btw 2018 saw the most people die from the flu in 40 years). That still makes this almost 3x as deadly as one of deadliest flu seasons and it still doesn't factor in the "not classified elsewhere" deaths which has inexplicably doubled this year, nor does it explain why respiratory illness deaths significantly jumped.

The only info I could find about 80k deaths from the flu was from the 2018 season which was an estimate by the CDC.

"That 80,000 figure stems from a preliminary estimate provided by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in September 2018. At that time, the CDC said early estimates indicated that "more than 80,000 people died from flu last season" — a reference to the 2017-18 flu season.

The CDC later updated its estimate for 2017-18 to about 61,000 "

I can't find anything about 80k dying of the flu this season.

The CDC estimates around 25k to 60k die from the flu and it's complications in a typical year. They also estimate 39 to 56 million people catch the flu each season. That is relatively mild in comparison to Covid which isn't even at 5 million cases here. If 39 million caught covid, the death toll would be over a million at our current death rate. (In the United States alone)

Even if somehow 80k flu deaths shrunk to 25k and all evidence of that online disappeared (which I highly doubt), that still leaves over 100,000 Covid deaths with 4.7 million cases. Still way more deadly than the flu.

Last edited:

faceman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
How is it misleading? It's data from the CDC and it includes pneumonia every year and I'm pretty sure that's how they've always listed it. Pneumonia often occurs as a complication from the flu. If anything, I think in the beginning covid deaths could have been easily classified under the flu/pneumonia category. People usually die from complications from the flu, secondary infections because of the hit the immune system takes so it's all lumped in together. Before this was well known I'm sure some of the deaths were incorrectly listed as caused by the flu.

Flu deaths may fluctuate but over the 5 year period it has never been more than 118 deaths per 1 million people. Let's say some flu deaths were actually listed as covid and it was closer to 120 deaths per million. (Btw 2018 saw the most people die from the flu in 40 years). That still makes this almost 3x as deadly as one of deadliest flu seasons and it still doesn't factor in the "not classified elsewhere" deaths which has inexplicably doubled this year, nor does it explain why respiratory illness deaths significantly jumped.

The only info I could find about 80k deaths from the flu was from the 2018 season which was an estimate by the CDC.

"That 80,000 figure stems from a preliminary estimate provided by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in September 2018. At that time, the CDC said early estimates indicated that "more than 80,000 people died from flu last season" — a reference to the 2017-18 flu season.

The CDC later updated its estimate for 2017-18 to about 61,000 "

I can't find anything about 80k dying of the flu this season.

The CDC estimates around 25k to 60k die from the flu and it's complications in a typical year. They also estimate 39 to 56 million people catch the flu each season. That is relatively mild in comparison to Covid which isn't even at 5 million cases here. If 39 million caught covid, the death toll would be over a million at our current death rate. (In the United States alone)

Even if somehow 80k flu deaths shrunk to 25k and all evidence of that online disappeared (which I highly doubt), that still leaves over 100,000 Covid deaths with 4.7 million cases. Still way more deadly than the flu.
Great post. There is another variable that needs to be taken into consideration. It's deaths at home from those not seeking any medical treatment. We'll never know the actual numbers. I do know this. My daughter is a RN. The hospital she works at has a full ICU ,opened a 3rd floor for covid patients,and deaths are increasing daily

Super44

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
IMG_20200725_161921.png
Some of those numbers are skewed, such as the ones associated with heart disease and cancer. Those are skewed because people with those ailments are dying at home, instead of a hospital or rehab facility and are not getting reported accurately. Deaths attributed to accidents are down, because people are more static in their everyday lives.Non classified deaths could be attributed to CV 19, but those people never went to be tested and instead stood home...etc., thinking they would be ok and ended up dying from it. TONS of reasons why that category could be skewed. Just saying, numbers do not always tell the true story.

Super44

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Great post. There is another variable that needs to be taken into consideration. It's deaths at home from those not seeking any medical treatment. We'll never know the actual numbers. I do know this. My daughter is a RN. The hospital she works at has a full ICU ,opened a 3rd floor for covid patients,and deaths are increasing daily
ON POINT! And I concur because I have a very close family member, that has conveyed the same exact message and works as a RN in an ICU.

Complex Kid

Most things I worry about Never happen anyway
Reaction score
"Even if the death rate was as as little as .5% (it's much higher), if 60m people got this virus, that's still 300,000 deaths"

.5% = 30000 Your math is as accurate as the reporting from the gov and media.

To get the solution, we are looking for, we need to point out what we know.

1. We assume, that the number 60000000 is 100% - because it's the output value of the task.
2. We assume, that x is the value we are looking for.
3. If 60000000 is 100%, so we can write it down as 60000000=100%.
4. We know, that x is 0.5% of the output value, so we can write it down as x=0.5%.
5. Now we have two simple equations:
1) 60000000=100%
2) x=0.5%
where left sides of both of them have the same units, and both right sides have the same units, so we can do something like that:
60000000/x=100%/0.5%
6. Now we just have to solve the simple equation, and we will get the solution we are looking for.

7. Solution for what is 0.5% of 60000000

60000000/x=100/0.5
(60000000/x)*x=(100/0.5)*x - we multiply both sides of the equation by x
60000000=200*x - we divide both sides of the equation by (200) to get x
60000000/200=x
300000=x
x=300000

now we have:
0.5% of 60,000,000=300,000

dtc

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
That's not at all what that chart or reality is telling us is happening.

Quite the opposite, in fact.

Complex Kid

Most things I worry about Never happen anyway
Reaction score
Pneumonia is listed on the chart and is higher than 2019 and 2016 and right at 2017's level.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 7, Guests: 9)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Demario Davis is still trying to unlock the best version of himself. How scary is that? Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Buccaneers plan a “voluntary” bubble during the regular season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Zack Lee discounting injury and illness, which player do you think holds the biggest key to a successful season Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 18
Fleur-de-Links, August 4: Saints release another player and a preview of Marshon Lattimore’s season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Odell Beckham says season should be cancelled. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 47
NFL needs to create a bubble plan for 2020 season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Report: Saints to rent out part of the Loews Hotel to 'sequester' before the season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
WhoDat_SB44 I hope we play this season since we have upgraded just about every position group Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 17
Walker: Drew Brees, driven by Super Bowl quest, faces toughest challenge yet in 20th NFL season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
SuperSaint Saints Report: MLB could cancel season as early as Monday (Not looking good...) Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 16
Drew Brees sidesteps whether 2020 will be his last season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
For asthmatic Saints TE Cole Wick, opting out of season is 'bigger than football' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Oye NBA 2020 Season and Playoffs Everything Else Board 136
Taker597 N/S Cowboys have canceled all of 2020 Season Tickets Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 8
Optimism abounds for Pelicans as NBA season officially restarts Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
How Many Saints will end up opting out of the 2020 NFL season? Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Fleur-de-Links, July 29: First Saints player to opt out of 2020 season and a preview of a 2020 Saints game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
If the season is shortened or canceled due to covid Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 1
Day 1 of the weird season has arrived for the Saints. 'We're grinding through it' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Jason Vander Laan opts out of 2020 season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Former Saints guard Warford, two current backups opt out of 2020 season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints TE Jason Vander Laan opts out of 2020 season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Former Saints OL Larry Warford to sit out the 2020 NFL season: report Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Source: Unsigned G Warford opts out of season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Source: Saints TE Cole Wick opts out of 2020 season due to asthma Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints TE Cole Wick opting out of season {Merged and merged again} Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 25
Saint Kamara Football season: chance of happening is approaching 0% Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 89
This NFL season rides on players’ abilities to “play by the rules” Saints RSS News Feeds 0
N/S If we are using MLB as a test (Cluster of cases puts Marlins' season on hold) Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 58
ndcc Saints 2002 Season opener (Saints @ Bucs) ...this was a great game (start>>finish) Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 0
DerrickB Podcast: The Saints Get the Greenlight to Start Training Camp: Which Players May Opt-Out of the Season? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 0