Scary Info on Why the Season May Not Take Place - from a Claimed Insider (20 Viewers)

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
Sticky Post
For the sake of board sanity, I am going to say that I got this info from "Coach" Guido. Here's what Guido told me today of behind the scenes discussions between players and their players' union, and between the players union and the NFL/owners.

"The chance of having a full season is getting more remote and I will get to the biggest reasons last.

1) The recent trend of the virus in quickly spreading to young people, many completely healthy, is scaring the players and their families and their coaches
2) Recent scientific discoveries that the virus, even in healthy people who get the virus, causes long-term harm to organs is compounding players' fear. No one knows the extent of this damage, but now that it's known to spread among healthy young people and create potentially serious long-term health damage to the players has the players becoming quite uptight
3) (Here's where it gets really interesting). With all the attention on racial discrimination, the NFL is very sensitive to anything that would make the NFL appear insensitive to racial injustice, especially when over 70% of the players are men of color
4) Where this comes into play is that nearly 1 in 5 black people suffer from sickle-cell anemia. This is a genetic serious illness. If players with sickle cell contract the virus, they are at serious risk of serious injury if not even death. The NFL is frightened that some top black players with sickle-cell will get the virus and get sick. Then the NFL fears they will have a public relations nightmare on their hands with the extreme attention on racial injustice.
5) Yes, Latinos cause a lot of diabetes by our eating habits, however, Latinos are born with one of the highest racial percentages of Type 2 diabetes. Like sickle-cell anemia, diabetes is a serious underlying health condition. And once again, like black athletes with sickle cell, Latinos risk of serious long-term illness and death is high
6) These are active conservations going on behind the scenes about insurance. Lloyds is the biggest insurer of professional athletes. The players are all trying to get higher insurance levels, as well as the teams. Lloyds has jacked the price of this type insurance through the roof making it less or nearly unaffordable to many of the lower-paid players and really expensive for the teams
7) Many coaches are very worried about the conditioning of their players showing up for camp. They know that the great majority of players will not show up in the condition desired to begin training camp and coaches are really afraid for the scale and severity of injuries if they play this season
8) Teams are running multiple scenarios of fielding teams based on various levels of virus outbreaks on their teams. With the NFL Coronovirus rules in place, there are multiple scenarios where a team may not have the players or may simply choose to forfeit for lack of quality starters and backups. Behind the scenes, a couple of coaches said it could be like playing with scab players during strikes or lockouts. And they worry about their top players who have heavy incentive-based contracts who get the virus. It's not a performance issue, yet it would dramatically impact those players' total compensation if they get the virus. Coaches are worried about this and the impact of top players attitudes impacting team chemistry.
Now, this is my personal opinion. When I just think of being HC for a college-level team today, as HC, I would be terrified for my players and coaches. If I had a vote and was still an HC, I would vote against playing college ball this year. And I can tell you for a fact that many pro coaches have the same fears for their players as well as coaches for themselves and their families.

But the NFL is about huge money as we all know and they want to make more. And the players like their money also. So they may very well start the season. But as soon as one or more teams cannot field a quality product because of the lack of players, the season could get canceled after some games are played. Likely, the owners would use the term "Suspend," hoping a cure is found.
Guido was wearing a saints workout T today. He said that if the season gets canceled, we may have sadly seen Brees last season. My Austin sources were telling me that Brees was leaning pretty heavy towards retiring after last season.

Let's hope this does not play-out as Coach Guido fears from his sources and experience. And No, Guido did not coach the Mad Magazine coed softball team - lol

Insurance

SAINTSFAN

Contributor
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
We did a study recently showing that here in the US we have potentially 10 fold the numbers of cases being reported. I think it's higher than that number, possibly 15-20 fold.
Who is "we?" Are you part of a group doing a study or was this the CDC (or similar organization)? I had not heard of these results previously and am curious to read.

OP

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
funny how no one talks about ventilators anymore, or even deaths, its just cases cases cases.. goal posts moved.. again..

i'd like to see the total deaths of all other causes of death, i bet all are down in the same time frame as covid. except suicides and drug overdoses.,.
You make some really sound points.

However, what I was hearing from Guido yesterday is that the coaches are really afraid their players will get injured much more this season. The coaches are also concerned for their players getting sick with the virus. And coaches and players are concerned about their families. And players with Sickle Cell or Diabetes are really concerned about their health and even their life.

Fewer people seem to be dying, but even some healthy young non-pro athletes are experiencing lung problems from the virus. Could that alone end their career? For sure, I don't know. There's data all over the place and the top scientists don't know yet. But the key point from the post is that there is behind the scenes details of concerns of players and coaches that could impact decisions to sit out this year or play. Personally, if they play, I think 99% (just a wild guess) will play.

OP

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
A bad flu season? 130,000 deaths, man seriously this sounds like it some twisted capitalist logic. If 5-10% of the population dies, it's cool let's make money. All the countries that have successfully flattened the curve shut down for a period of time. S. Korea and Germany have been among the best, we just have the most incompetent leadership.
Whereas I agree 100% with you, i humbly request that you please consider that post as bringing in politics. We don't want to lose the specialness of this board. The board leaders/mods are killing themselves trying to keep us focused on football so we can have a haven to escape the scariness of what is happening in our world. Thx so much Brother for your consideration.

No2DC

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Whereas I agree 100% with you, i humbly request that you please consider that post as bringing in politics. We don't want to lose the specialness of this board. The board leaders/mods are killing themselves trying to keep us focused on football so we can have a haven to escape the scariness of what is happening in our world. Thx so much Brother for your consideration.
I got you, and I understand how my leadership comment can lead to a political discussion( which everyone seems to be doing there best to ignore).

Excelsior88

Veteran
Reaction score
Never realized there were so many statisticians and epidemiologists on SR. Saracasm aside, everyone's throwing their assertions around without true knowledge of what's happening. Numbers for America only tell a part of the story. When you break down the numbers by demographics, geology, disease states, age, etc. the picture becomes a bit more complete. The problem is that no one knows the full extent of what's going on. So forgive me if I take anything said here with a grain of salt the size of Oumuamua.

rail

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Not digging through all the posts and apparent political discussion, so sorry if already discussed. I should be befuddled by the lack of guidance and 'leadership' from the league, but not surprised in the least. Other than cutting the preseason and maybe limiting fan attendance, it's a full steam ahead, business-as-usual approach to the season proceeding. It can't possibly work that way. Where are the plans to try and make this work differently? Contingency plans? How are coaches, players, and other personnel supposed to create a game plan for their respective seasons without any guidance or decision-making from the league?

Of course, I'm not privy to what's happening behind the league office doors, but I saw an article a couple of weeks ago where an unnamed coach was asking these questions. Teams are supposed to somehow start camps in three weeks and they're getting pretty much nothing from the head chump that runs this league. More than anything, this type of 'leadership' will probably doom any chance of a season happening. It's asinine.

No2DC

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
swimmer lmaoo... yea nahh cuh, the guy who said burrow was comin.. I dont believe this
Not cool. There are certain posters who you know are not trying to cause harm and add entertainment to the board. We could all use a nice coach Pete Pete or Lawn Guy Dave story right now.

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
funny how no one talks about ventilators anymore, or even deaths, its just cases cases cases.. goal posts moved.. again..

i'd like to see the total deaths of all other causes of death, i bet all are down in the same time frame as covid. except suicides and drug overdoses.,.

Here you go:

The US death toll from the novel coronavirus surpassed 100,000 last week, just four months after the first confirmed case in the country.

To put that into perspective, we looked at how many Americans typically died from several common causes of death between February and May — the months of the US coronavirus outbreak — over the last several years. The novel coronavirus has outpaced many of those causes..............

covid chart.jpg

Saintaholic

<><><><><><><><><><><>
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

If you do not have this information by now, it's because, whether consciously or subconsciously, you have actively sought to not have it.

Also, for anyone that's not actively trying to detract and actually decides to dig into the numbers rather than just taking them at face value, they'd know that deaths lag behind cases by a good 2 to 4 weeks. People don't get the virus and then die immediately. There is a period of time that leads to those deaths, and the steady increase in numbers is set to start this week.

I'd also encourage anyone looking for more information, to dive deeper into the sudden spike in deaths classified as Pneumonia/Influenza. Deaths are clearly being buried in those categories, similarly to what Russia did. Here's a head start: https://saintsreport.com/threads/co...s-cases-133-972-us-deaths.431370/post-8095860

bobad

Son of Adam
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Swimmer, if the virus caused long term damage of any kind, the news media would explode. They hint at it to sensationalize, and a lot of other things. But there's nothing concrete on that yet. The sample size is very small, and the time period is even smaller.

Check this out: New Jersey had 15,281 deaths from the virus, the highest rate per 100K in the US. Deaths there are 1 in 589, mosly compromised. Guess how many deaths there were in the 18-yo and under demographic? One. That's it, one. For some reason, young people and even some older people carry a lower virus load. Now football players are 6-8 years older, and papaw is 41, but the death rate in that demographic is lower than the flu. I think flu is a nasty disease, and if I had a choice of a case of it or the virus, it would be a hard choice. If I hear someone with the flu is coming, I run like hell.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 8, Guests: 11)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Demario Davis is still trying to unlock the best version of himself. How scary is that? Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Buccaneers plan a “voluntary” bubble during the regular season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Zack Lee discounting injury and illness, which player do you think holds the biggest key to a successful season Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 18
Fleur-de-Links, August 4: Saints release another player and a preview of Marshon Lattimore’s season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Odell Beckham says season should be cancelled. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 47
NFL needs to create a bubble plan for 2020 season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Report: Saints to rent out part of the Loews Hotel to 'sequester' before the season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
WhoDat_SB44 I hope we play this season since we have upgraded just about every position group Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 17
Walker: Drew Brees, driven by Super Bowl quest, faces toughest challenge yet in 20th NFL season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
SuperSaint Saints Report: MLB could cancel season as early as Monday (Not looking good...) Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 16
Drew Brees sidesteps whether 2020 will be his last season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
For asthmatic Saints TE Cole Wick, opting out of season is 'bigger than football' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Oye NBA 2020 Season and Playoffs Everything Else Board 136
Taker597 N/S Cowboys have canceled all of 2020 Season Tickets Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 8
Optimism abounds for Pelicans as NBA season officially restarts Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
How Many Saints will end up opting out of the 2020 NFL season? Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Fleur-de-Links, July 29: First Saints player to opt out of 2020 season and a preview of a 2020 Saints game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
If the season is shortened or canceled due to covid Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 1
Day 1 of the weird season has arrived for the Saints. 'We're grinding through it' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Jason Vander Laan opts out of 2020 season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Former Saints guard Warford, two current backups opt out of 2020 season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints TE Jason Vander Laan opts out of 2020 season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Former Saints OL Larry Warford to sit out the 2020 NFL season: report Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Source: Unsigned G Warford opts out of season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Source: Saints TE Cole Wick opts out of 2020 season due to asthma Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints TE Cole Wick opting out of season {Merged and merged again} Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 25
Saint Kamara Football season: chance of happening is approaching 0% Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 89
This NFL season rides on players’ abilities to “play by the rules” Saints RSS News Feeds 0
N/S If we are using MLB as a test (Cluster of cases puts Marlins' season on hold) Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 58
ndcc Saints 2002 Season opener (Saints @ Bucs) ...this was a great game (start>>finish) Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 0
DerrickB Podcast: The Saints Get the Greenlight to Start Training Camp: Which Players May Opt-Out of the Season? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 0