Scary Info on Why the Season May Not Take Place - from a Claimed Insider (19 Viewers)

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
Sticky Post
For the sake of board sanity, I am going to say that I got this info from "Coach" Guido. Here's what Guido told me today of behind the scenes discussions between players and their players' union, and between the players union and the NFL/owners.

"The chance of having a full season is getting more remote and I will get to the biggest reasons last.

1) The recent trend of the virus in quickly spreading to young people, many completely healthy, is scaring the players and their families and their coaches
2) Recent scientific discoveries that the virus, even in healthy people who get the virus, causes long-term harm to organs is compounding players' fear. No one knows the extent of this damage, but now that it's known to spread among healthy young people and create potentially serious long-term health damage to the players has the players becoming quite uptight
3) (Here's where it gets really interesting). With all the attention on racial discrimination, the NFL is very sensitive to anything that would make the NFL appear insensitive to racial injustice, especially when over 70% of the players are men of color
4) Where this comes into play is that nearly 1 in 5 black people suffer from sickle-cell anemia. This is a genetic serious illness. If players with sickle cell contract the virus, they are at serious risk of serious injury if not even death. The NFL is frightened that some top black players with sickle-cell will get the virus and get sick. Then the NFL fears they will have a public relations nightmare on their hands with the extreme attention on racial injustice.
5) Yes, Latinos cause a lot of diabetes by our eating habits, however, Latinos are born with one of the highest racial percentages of Type 2 diabetes. Like sickle-cell anemia, diabetes is a serious underlying health condition. And once again, like black athletes with sickle cell, Latinos risk of serious long-term illness and death is high
6) These are active conservations going on behind the scenes about insurance. Lloyds is the biggest insurer of professional athletes. The players are all trying to get higher insurance levels, as well as the teams. Lloyds has jacked the price of this type insurance through the roof making it less or nearly unaffordable to many of the lower-paid players and really expensive for the teams
7) Many coaches are very worried about the conditioning of their players showing up for camp. They know that the great majority of players will not show up in the condition desired to begin training camp and coaches are really afraid for the scale and severity of injuries if they play this season
8) Teams are running multiple scenarios of fielding teams based on various levels of virus outbreaks on their teams. With the NFL Coronovirus rules in place, there are multiple scenarios where a team may not have the players or may simply choose to forfeit for lack of quality starters and backups. Behind the scenes, a couple of coaches said it could be like playing with scab players during strikes or lockouts. And they worry about their top players who have heavy incentive-based contracts who get the virus. It's not a performance issue, yet it would dramatically impact those players' total compensation if they get the virus. Coaches are worried about this and the impact of top players attitudes impacting team chemistry.
Now, this is my personal opinion. When I just think of being HC for a college-level team today, as HC, I would be terrified for my players and coaches. If I had a vote and was still an HC, I would vote against playing college ball this year. And I can tell you for a fact that many pro coaches have the same fears for their players as well as coaches for themselves and their families.

But the NFL is about huge money as we all know and they want to make more. And the players like their money also. So they may very well start the season. But as soon as one or more teams cannot field a quality product because of the lack of players, the season could get canceled after some games are played. Likely, the owners would use the term "Suspend," hoping a cure is found.
Guido was wearing a saints workout T today. He said that if the season gets canceled, we may have sadly seen Brees last season. My Austin sources were telling me that Brees was leaning pretty heavy towards retiring after last season.

Let's hope this does not play-out as Coach Guido fears from his sources and experience. And No, Guido did not coach the Mad Magazine coed softball team - lol

Insurance

TribuneUK

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Swimmer, post: 8096040, member: 14699"

“4) Where this comes into play is that nearly 1 in 5 black people suffer from sickle-cell anemia. This is a genetic serious illness. If players with sickle cell contract the virus, they are at serious risk of serious injury if not even death. The NFL is frightened that some top black players with sickle-cell will get the virus and get sick. Then the NFL fears they will have a public relations nightmare on their hands with the extreme attention on racial injustice.“

Perhaps Coach Pedro should do a bit more research before espousing his views to the swimmer...as he has way overstated the prevalence of Sickle Cell Disease in the African American population. The incidence of the disease is 1 in 365, not 1 in 5.
Damn, so you mean 4-5 NFL players could be impacted? Woah. Good thing Guido is keeping us abreast of these things.

the_mc

All-Pro
Reaction score
The data is there if you truly want to find it.

Causes of deaths per year categories don't spike very significantly for virtually any category, and in this particular case, the highest one of the past five years of recorded data was used.

Here is heart disease, per year:

Here is the link to the data, and I dropped it into a CSV file and did a pivot table: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/heart_disease_mortality/heart_disease.htm

And sure, these two particular categories (Heart Disease and Cancer) may currently be higher in total than COVID at the moment, but that's due to social distancing; before social distancing effects started coming through, COVID started trending higher than both on a per day basis, as illustrated in the previous poster's video. And, on top of that, what's different between COVID vs. heart disease or cancer is that the latter two are not contagious. They're something with minimal curing options that we will likely always have to just live with, COVID is not...hopefully.
I understand that....what I was getting at is that there has been lots of incentives to mark deaths as COVID. The question I was trying to get at.....are 2020 heart disease or any other diseases trending at the same rate as 2019 or 2018 or are those deaths being added to the COVID trendline instead. If we mapped month over month from 2019 and 2020 are the death rates the same for heart disease as an example.

Saintaholic

<><><><><><><><><><><>
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I understand that....what I was getting at is that there has been lots of incentives to mark deaths as COVID. The question I was trying to get at.....are 2020 heart disease or any other diseases trending at the same rate as 2019 or 2018 or are those deaths being added to the COVID trendline instead. If we mapped month over month from 2019 and 2020 are the death rates the same for heart disease as an example.
I would counter that there is more evidence and incentive to NOT mark deaths as COVID. There has been a significant upward spike in Pneumonia and Influenza deaths this year.

For instance, the state of Florida sees on average 2,900 deaths per year to P&I. This year, through six full months, they have 6,000.

Texas, 3,200 on average for a full year, this year, they stand at 6,100.

The United States as a whole, 57,000 on average, and this year through half the year, 81,000.

Links: https://saintsreport.com/threads/co...s-cases-133-972-us-deaths.431370/post-8095860

This political conspiracy theory angle is a bit silly, as it assumes that the entire globe, that's going through the same things we are, are all in on this American political conspiracy plot. To me, there is more incentive for states to downplay things in order to remain open and not have egg on their faces, and the evidence backs it up. Not to mention at least one state (Florida) has had one of its data scientists indicate that she was fired for refusing to manipulate data to support re-opening: https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_r...cle_b538bd2c-99f7-11ea-9e18-5f30512fd8a4.html

the_mc

All-Pro
Reaction score
I would counter that there is more evidence and incentive to NOT mark deaths as COVID. There has been a significant upward spike in Pneumonia and Influenza deaths this year.

For instance, the state of Florida sees on average 2,900 deaths per year to P&I. This year, through six full months, they have 6,000.

Texas, 3,200 on average for a full year, this year, they stand at 6,100.

The United States as a whole, 57,000 on average, and this year through half the year, 81,000.

Links: https://saintsreport.com/threads/co...s-cases-133-972-us-deaths.431370/post-8095860

This political conspiracy theory angle is a bit silly, as it assumes that the entire globe, that's going through the same things we are, are all in on this American political conspiracy plot. To me, there is more incentive for states to downplay things in order to remain open and not have egg on their faces, and the evidence backs it up. Not to mention at least one state (Florida) has had one of its data scientists indicate that she was fired for refusing to manipulate data to support re-opening: https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_r...cle_b538bd2c-99f7-11ea-9e18-5f30512fd8a4.html
Fair points...I am not a conspiracy theorist, I work in data and the Pneumonia/Influenza numbers are compelling. I was more asking since everyone keeps posting last years numbers with no comparison to this years numbers at the same time (unlike what you did with Influenza).

OP

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
Perhaps Coach Pedro should do a bit more research before espousing his views to the swimmer...as he has way overstated the prevalence of Sickle Cell Disease in the African American population. The incidence of the disease is 1 in 365, not 1 in 5.
Good catch, but again, we are making points playing with stats. Big data analytics is what my company does. I think, and may be wrong, that you were using the CDC data. In that same data, it states that 1 in 13 blacks are born with the sickle cell gene. Even using that stat, that's much higher than 1 to 5 Guido was saying. However, if I was a black player, I would be concerned if that trait caused a higher increase in serious cases, longer impact to the body and possibly death.

Good catch! - Thanks

OP

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score

Being accused of not knowing what I am talking about by one poster, followed by three Falcon emojis but with no responses contrary to the information relayed. I wonder what that could possibly mean.
Stay cool Brother. Nearly all of us respect and enjoy your posts. We all know social media can be rough, but these are extraordinary times and people are wound-up with fear and frustration like no time in memory since the war. Some people are just venting other frustrations and fears. It's not personal but that's hard to realize when the gun is pointed at you. Trust me, I completely understand - lol!

Reaction score
For the sake of board sanity, I am going to say that I got this info from "Coach" Guido. Here's what Guido told me today of behind the scenes discussions between players and their players' union, and between the players union and the NFL/owners.

Guido was wearing a saints workout T today. He said that if the season gets canceled, we may have sadly seen Brees last season. My Austin sources were telling me that Brees was leaning pretty heavy towards retiring after last season.

Let's hope this does not play-out as Coach Guido fears from his sources and experience. And No, Guido did not coach the Mad Magazine coed softball team - lol

Insurance

Reaction score

Insurance
Problem is that covid will be with us probably for years. It may mutate into a mild flu virus or even a more severe virus. So if players are scared about playing then dont play. Team should have a plan B and play undrafted free agents kind of like a European league of the late 90's. Personally I hope they dont play because this season is looking like each game will be used as talking points for the Left. I'm not watching this political st&^%

SuperSaint

Trek expert & WoW junkie
Reaction score
I think it's a foregone conclusion the season will be cancelled. If they open training camps and players start testing positive, they're all going to scatter.

Clintonrebel

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
When it comes to health or money, most players are going to opt for taking the money. There will be all sorts of negotiating and hem hawing, but everybody involved really wants some version of football this fall. Too much money to not try.

Saint Jack

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
When it comes to health or money, most players are going to opt for taking the money. There will be all sorts of negotiating and hem hawing, but everybody involved really wants some version of football this fall. Too much money to not try.
Keep in mind, the networks rely on the NFL more than any other league. I was reading this article from the Washington Post about how important the property is in the age of streaming. I wouldn’t be surprised if they kick in a few extra bucks.

Here’s the article if you’re interested.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/07/02/tv-networks-nfl-season-coronavirus/

andregurov

Compassion is the basis of morality.
Reaction score
When it comes to health or money, all owners are going to opt for taking the money. There will be all sorts of negotiating and hem hawing, but all people with a financial interest in football really want a money-making version of football this fall. Too much loss of money to not try. ; )

OP

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
Just spent time with a good friend. His wife is in OR management at one of the biggest hospital systems in the country, so she gets real insider info.

The concern of the hospitals is this:
1) The heat of summer and rays have weakened the fatality rate of the virus, however, this strain is still very contagious
2) But come fall, the hospital top Epidemeolgists think the virus will become stronger resulting in serious illness and death. So social gatherings happening now resulting in high increases to the 20s to 40s age group might turn deadly

But again, even the experts qualify everything with an, "We just know yet" statement. My take, and this is pure guesswork, is that those saying the season will likely start may very well be right. And like many here on SR have said, the season may be aborted.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 8, Guests: 10)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Demario Davis is still trying to unlock the best version of himself. How scary is that? Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Buccaneers plan a “voluntary” bubble during the regular season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Zack Lee discounting injury and illness, which player do you think holds the biggest key to a successful season Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 18
Fleur-de-Links, August 4: Saints release another player and a preview of Marshon Lattimore’s season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Odell Beckham says season should be cancelled. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 47
NFL needs to create a bubble plan for 2020 season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Report: Saints to rent out part of the Loews Hotel to 'sequester' before the season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
WhoDat_SB44 I hope we play this season since we have upgraded just about every position group Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 17
Walker: Drew Brees, driven by Super Bowl quest, faces toughest challenge yet in 20th NFL season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
SuperSaint Saints Report: MLB could cancel season as early as Monday (Not looking good...) Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 16
Drew Brees sidesteps whether 2020 will be his last season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
For asthmatic Saints TE Cole Wick, opting out of season is 'bigger than football' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Oye NBA 2020 Season and Playoffs Everything Else Board 136
Taker597 N/S Cowboys have canceled all of 2020 Season Tickets Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 8
Optimism abounds for Pelicans as NBA season officially restarts Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
How Many Saints will end up opting out of the 2020 NFL season? Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Fleur-de-Links, July 29: First Saints player to opt out of 2020 season and a preview of a 2020 Saints game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
If the season is shortened or canceled due to covid Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 1
Day 1 of the weird season has arrived for the Saints. 'We're grinding through it' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Jason Vander Laan opts out of 2020 season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Former Saints guard Warford, two current backups opt out of 2020 season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints TE Jason Vander Laan opts out of 2020 season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Former Saints OL Larry Warford to sit out the 2020 NFL season: report Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Source: Unsigned G Warford opts out of season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Source: Saints TE Cole Wick opts out of 2020 season due to asthma Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints TE Cole Wick opting out of season {Merged and merged again} Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 25
Saint Kamara Football season: chance of happening is approaching 0% Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 89
This NFL season rides on players’ abilities to “play by the rules” Saints RSS News Feeds 0
N/S If we are using MLB as a test (Cluster of cases puts Marlins' season on hold) Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 58
ndcc Saints 2002 Season opener (Saints @ Bucs) ...this was a great game (start>>finish) Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 0
DerrickB Podcast: The Saints Get the Greenlight to Start Training Camp: Which Players May Opt-Out of the Season? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 0